I think the shuttle pilot was listening to my CFII last Saturday

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
Our corporate shuttle from OLM to HIO (Beech 1900) made an interesting departure from OLM. Took off on rwy 17 and instead of intercepting the Victor airway south from the OLM VOR (176 radial) he turned left, kept climbing and turned left again until he headed right back over the VOR, then turned on course. I suspect he filed KOLM to KHIO with the routing being OLM, V-xxx and then on. Just had this discussion with my CFII during Saturday afternoon's ground lesson. Makes lost comm easier. But, this is the first time they've done this, at least while I've been on board. Didn't have time to talk to the pilot about it after we landed at HIO. Interesting timing. We're going to to the same thing next Monday, but we'll be heading north to PWT. Nice to see something I've been taught in use.

My guess is they had conflicting traffic ahead on the airway and by executing a climing turn the were well above the traffic by the time they crossed the VOR. This is not unusual in the Seattle area. Many arrivals into SeaTac and Boeing will cross the OLM VOR on their approach.

My guess is they had conflicting traffic ahead on the airway and by executing a climing turn the were well above the traffic by the time they crossed the VOR. This is not unusual in the Seattle area. Many arrivals into SeaTac and Boeing will cross the OLM VOR on their approach.

Yeah, but the airliners typically cross OLM at FL200, and there's no way we would have had a conflict. And I seriously doubt that we get that high between OLM and HIO in that B-1900. :D And leaving as early as we do in the morning we probably didn't have anyone in front of us coming out of OLM. In any case, the timing was interesting (lesson vs. flight).

They file for 11,000 to Hillsboro and 12,000 to Olympia.

Sounds about right. They keep the cabin nicely pressurized, too. Don't think the alitimeter in my watch has been to 2000 feet cabin altitude on any of those flights.

Sounds about right. They keep the cabin nicely pressurized, too. Don't think the alitimeter in my watch has been to 2000 feet cabin altitude on any of those flights.

The 1900 can hold sea level to 500 feet cabin altitude up to about 12,000 feet before getting close to max diff. For flights below that, we never adjust the cabin altitude control from where it's at on the surface (5-600feet). It's not until we're going above about 13K that we have to start worrying about hitting max. differential pressure (assuming it's a well sealed plane), and thus start bringing the cabin above 500 feet.

The only caveat is, the pressure selector has to be set 500 feet above field elevation for t/o and ldg (to make sure all the pressure is gone before landing, or else the squat switch will dump all remaining pressure RAPIDLY, where rapidly = 6000fpm), and it has to be set 1,000 feet above cruising alt (cruise at FL190, set cabin alt for FL200 = about 3-4K foot cabin) to prevent pressure spikes at or near max diff. So, normally, you should expect to see field elevation + 500ish for your cabin alt through most flights at or below 12K.

The 1900 can hold sea level to 500 feet cabin altitude up to about 12,000 feet before getting close to max diff. For flights below that, we never adjust the cabin altitude control from where it's at on the surface (5-600feet). It's not until we're going above about 13K that we have to start worrying about hitting max. differential pressure (assuming it's a well sealed plane), and thus start bringing the cabin above 500 feet.

The only caveat is, the pressure selector has to be set 500 feet above field elevation for t/o and ldg (to make sure all the pressure is gone before landing, or else the squat switch will dump all remaining pressure RAPIDLY, where rapidly = 6000fpm), and it has to be set 1,000 feet above cruising alt (cruise at FL190, set cabin alt for FL200 = about 3-4K foot cabin) to prevent pressure spikes at or near max diff. So, normally, you should expect to see field elevation + 500ish for your cabin alt through most flights at or below 12K.

Matt, thanks. I knew there was a reason I liked riding in that plane. :p OLM to HIO is a quick run, so the other "issues" with the 1900 really don't matter. Now, if we were using it for the HIO to IWA run I might feel differently. :D

Matt, thanks. I knew there was a reason I liked riding in that plane. :p OLM to HIO is a quick run, so the other "issues" with the 1900 really don't matter. Now, if we were using it for the HIO to IWA run I might feel differently. :D

HIO to IWA wouldn't be THAT bad. Pull the props way back and it'll get pretty quiet, especially up high. Just make sure you have A LOT of empty bottles for the flight :yes::eek:. That's the main reason (or the Maine reason....nyuck nyuck nyuck) our 1900 routes are under 1.5 hours...any more than that and we need a bumper supply of plastic bags :hairraise: How many planes does your company have?

HIO to IWA wouldn't be THAT bad. Pull the props way back and it'll get pretty quiet, especially up high. Just make sure you have A LOT of empty bottles for the flight :yes::eek:. That's the main reason (or the Maine reason....nyuck nyuck nyuck) our 1900 routes are under 1.5 hours...any more than that and we need a bumper supply of plastic bags :hairraise: How many planes does your company have?

1 B-1900 and 4 or 5 (I'd have to look) ERJ-135s. The ERJ-135s make the longer runs and carry up to 37 passengers. We've got the 44 passenger version's engines strapped on so we can get out of IWA on a hot day with a full load (or so one of the pilots told me a while back). And we don't need any empty bottles on the 135, there's a little room for that in the back. :D

Contract outfit operates them (don't know who owns them). Part 91, but operated more like 121 in terms of crew qualifications and the like. Just don't have to deal with TSA. Show up before boarding time, swipe your badge, get a boarding card. Spoils us rotten. :yes:

1 B-1900 and 4 or 5 (I'd have to look) ERJ-135s. The ERJ-135s make the longer runs and carry up to 37 passengers. We've got the 44 passenger version's engines strapped on so we can get out of IWA on a hot day with a full load (or so one of the pilots told me a while back). And we don't need any empty bottles on the 135, there's a little room for that in the back. :D

Contract outfit operates them (don't know who owns them). Part 91, but operated more like 121 in terms of crew qualifications and the like. Just don't have to deal with TSA. Show up before boarding time, swipe your badge, get a boarding card. Spoils us rotten. :yes:

That sounds like one heckofa set up! That's gotta be nice to be able to go on business trips and give the finger to the TSA from across the airport. Where do you guys park at IWA? I spent six months flying there, so I know (and love) that airport well. Feel free to start dropping my name around the airplanes :D:yes::rofl:

That sounds like one heckofa set up! That's gotta be nice to be able to go on business trips and give the finger to the TSA from across the airport. Where do you guys park at IWA? I spent six months flying there, so I know (and love) that airport well. Feel free to start dropping my name around the airplanes :D:yes::rofl:

Pretty close to the SW end of the hangars along the west side of taxiway T.

Great shuttle system. Saves a lot of time and hassle. Hertz rental cars waiting for us if the shuttle bus doesn't meet our needs. Too bad it is limited to a few key locations. But I take it when possible. Beats the heck out of 121 flights.

Back