I think I must be spoiled

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Tuesday I flew the my Baron to a small airport near Tulsa where it's now undergoing an engine transplant. The owner of the engine shop involved had agreed to loan me his Baron to use while mine's in the shop and I flew that back home later in the day. But his plane has no IFR GPS, the autopilot won't hold altitude and barely follows the course guidance from the onboard VFR GPS. It has no EGT let alone an engine monitor, the air vents are stuck open (probabably not a problem that far south). There's no HSI, no altitude alerter, no fuel totalizer, no electric trim, no clearance recorder, no MFD with XM Wx, and half the panel lights don't work, but at least it flies OK.

Since I didn't have an IFR GPS I filed along airways (which added about 50 miles to the 500 nm trip. I did bring along a borrowed GPS496 and had that as well as the panel mounted GPS programmed for the route. Of course, as soon as I contacted Tulsa Approach after takeoff I was given a slight re-route and fumbled that badly. Normally I'd do a quick search on my GNS480 for the first new waypoint in the re-route and set that in as a Direct-To flight target but I couldn't find anything nearby that sounded like a match. Of course I hadn't gotten out the charts so when the controller said to just intercept V131 I couldn't find that either since the panel GPS didn't display airways (it's probably something the 496 could display but that wasn't set up to show them either). I also managed to leave my writing tablet in my backpack sitting on the floor and had to resort to scribbling on the scrap of paper I'd written my original flight plan on.

Once I got switched to Kansas City Center I was able to negotiate a psuedo direct leg to the Topeka VOR I'd put in the plan to avoid the KC Class B (turned out the victor airway pretty much went straight there anyway) but later when I was getting close to TOP my attempt to repeat the trick for the path beyond Topeka appeared to end up with me getting what sounded a lot like a RNAV direct clearance. I also had some trouble picking up on the unfamiliar N number letting ATC call me twice a couple of times. All's well that ends well and I managed to complete the flight without wandering very far off course/altitude or running out of fuel but I was glad that most of the flight was in VMC.

I'll sure be glad to get my own plane back though.

Lance, I know what you mean. I flew a Bonanza recently that doesn't have a slaved HSI nor does the HSI know anything about automatically setting the course to the GPS course. I was confused!

Lance, did you pass by here?

Looks like I was within about 70 nm of the farm but given that I really wanted to make my first landing with the borrowed plane in daylight I really didn't have time to consider stopping. And while I'd be comfortable landing my Baron on your strip, I don't think I want to take one I don't own there. Did I mention that this plane doesn't have an AoA indicator either. It's been so long since I had to look at the ASI during a landing approach in a Baron that I had to think hard about what airspeed to use.

Looks like I was within about 70 nm of the farm but given that I really wanted to make my first landing with the borrowed plane in daylight I really didn't have time to consider stopping. And while I'd be comfortable landing my Baron on your strip, I don't think I want to take one I don't own there. Did I mention that this plane doesn't have an AoA indicator either. It's been so long since I had to look at the ASI during a landing approach in a Baron that I had to think hard about what airspeed to use.
Oh, okay. :)

You definitely get used to your own airplane and all the tools and gadgets it has. Doubly so in your case, since yours has so many nice toys.

When I bought the Aztec, it had a VFR only GPS and two KX170Bs (the same configuration you saw when we flew it at Gaston's). The trick I used was to file on victor airways, and then upon takeoff ask for an assigned heading of whatever estimated direct (per the VFR GPS) and just flew that. Worked out well, and generally got it. The KLN94/KX155A/MX170 isn't as nice a unit as your GNS480, so I still need to look at the charts. I find that's a matter of how much you do it. Since I do it frequently, I can find airways/fixes/etc. pretty quickly. I'm looking forward to just having the Altimatic working (actually it's at the autopilot shop now to potentially get repaired - your diagnosis of the problems were a big help there).

I'm sure you're looking forward to getting your Baron back, especially with the new engines!

Part of me wants to go "pooorr Lance". But it really is a pain. We flew an automation-less partially disabled P3 across half the pacific by hand at 200 knots. But we had a couple of pilots to switch off.... and I really really hate it when the AP doesn't work- so much so that I stock yellow tagged OH'd servos.....

I think the biggest pain is deviation from what you're used to. In my case, I'm so used to not having an autopilot and hand-flying the Aztec everywhere that if mine is successfully fixed, it'll feel odd at first. But that will quickly change, I'm sure, especially if it gives me altitude and heading.

Good story. I guess you proved one can make a trip without all the goodies we are used to, but we don't have to like it. Are you having both engine$ changed or just one?

Good story. I guess you proved one can make a trip without all the goodies we are used to, but we don't have to like it.

I get very confused when I get into a plane with only two levers (instead of the 6 I'm used to) and no means of retracting the gear that doesn't require use of hand tools or a SawZall.

Yeah, your spoiled...

When I designed the panel of my RV7A, I wanted a low-budget IFR panel, so I put in a GRT Sport, a GNC300XL, an SL30 and 2 axis TT A/P. I congratulated myself for builting a TAA aircraft :rolleyes:
Then I started instructing in G1000 equipped Cessnas. Talk about spoiled :D
I told my latest IFR student (now rated) that he has to be a safety pilot with me in the RV one of these days, so he can see how the other half lives, and truly appreciate the G1000 (it's all he's ever flown - got his PVT and IFR in the same equipment).
I like being spoiled :) But then I remember that a G1000 panel costs more than my whole plane, so I'll live the un-spoiled life in my RV.

Last edited:
I get very confused when I get into a plane with only two levers (instead of the 6 I'm used to) and no means of retracting the gear that doesn't require use of hand tools or a SawZall.

It's funny that after flying the Baron I don't have a problem jumping into the Porterfield with nothing but a compass to navigate with and my knees to act as autopilot but then I obviously don't fly the taildragger IFR and on the rare occasion I fly a long distance I do a lot of pre-flight planning. But I know you're right that its really the lack of familiarity with a particular airplane's setup that makes such a huge difference. I flew for years with nothing more than a couple KX170s and a bag full of charts to find my way along and a clock to keep track of fuel usage. I'm sure I could get used to this lack of equipment but I don't want to.

Good story. I guess you proved one can make a trip without all the goodies we are used to, but we don't have to like it. Are you having both engine$ changed or just one?

The engines are being replaced with bigger ones. Technically they're still IO-470s but they will have IO-520 cylinders and are supposed to make 300 HP.

The engines are being replaced with bigger ones. Technically they're still IO-470s but they will have IO-520 cylinders and are supposed to make 300 HP.

<insert Tim Allen man grunt>

It's the worst when you fly something that's 95%+ the same as you're used to. You get all these signals that "it's the same" and the other 5% drive you nuts.

It would probably be easier to jump into a single, or a Seneca, because you are expecting and looking for things to be different.

I notice I set up a G1000 a certain way, and when I move to a different airplane I have to set it up again. Worse, the options for the Diamond and Cessna aren't the same. The Diamond has a cool personalization feature that let's me save my preferences, the Cessna doesn't.

But his plane has no IFR GPS, the autopilot won't hold altitude and barely follows the course guidance from the onboard VFR GPS. It has no EGT let alone an engine monitor, the air vents are stuck open (probabably not a problem that far south). There's no HSI, no altitude alerter, no fuel totalizer, no electric trim, no clearance recorder, no MFD with XM Wx, and half the panel lights don't work, but at least it flies OK.

I love the toys our Mooney has, and would be upset if they went away.

As if you spoiled enough.
After having flown with you, I did find your post enjoyable.

Back