I think food should taste bad

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
A good friend of mine, one that has actually had a presence on POA and is of slightish figure but quite attractive, has made the comment in regard to food...

"No food tastes as good as thin looks."

She has in former years been slightly chunky, but is a very beautiful lady and someone that has been a dear friend to me.

I am struggling with weight. It's nobody's fault but my own. I like my drink. I eat when I drink. I drink too much and eat too much.

I think I have achieved a turning point. I think. I have always agreed with her, but agreement and compliance can be two different things.

Anyway, that's all.

If you eat healthy foods, you can be very happy, healthy, and thin. It also requires some exercise.

I find the William Shatner elastic tummy shaper works well for me.

Just don't get close in case it should pop open...

Well, if we're not gonna encourage the journey. Might as well be honest. Chimichanga's are pretty great

u82wwkr60t6y.png

A good friend of mine, one that has actually had a presence on POA and is of slightish figure but quite attractive, has made the comment in regard to food...

"No food tastes as good as thin looks."

She has in former years been slightly chunky, but is a very beautiful lady and someone that has been a dear friend to me.

I am struggling with weight. It's nobody's fault but my own. I like my drink. I eat when I drink. I drink too much and eat too much.

I think I have achieved a turning point. I think. I have always agreed with her, but agreement and compliance can be two different things.

Anyway, that's all.
Ya looked pretty thin in those pics from Rough River.

I hope so, because it didn't look that good to me.
I'm not a real chef, so I have no plating skills. My food tends to taste pretty good, I think, but rarely scores points in the "looks" department! :cool:

@Sac Arrow, another relevant phrase is "you cannot outrun your fork". I always used exercise to keep my weight in check but that becomes more difficult as you age and lose muscle mass.

I'm on a pretty strict food and workout regime right now needing to lose ~20 lbs before the fall. What has helped me is categorizing meals as either fuel or food. Food are the meals you thoroughly enjoy -- think of fine restaurants, a full rack of BBQ ribs etc. These meals are few, like once/week, but when they come around they are awesome, like an event. When you eat for fuel, it's not that the food tastes bad, but you're eating to replace what you burned during a workout or just to get you to your next meal. I find this mindset sets my expectations so I'm not disappointed. For the past three months I've been mostly eating the same ~6 lean protein and vegetable meals adding (some) variety by using different dry spice mixtures. Twice this week people told me I must have lost a lot of weight (I haven't but I have exchanged a good amount of fat for muscle). Last January my doctor threatened to put me on statins. I asked him to give me three months. In that short time, my numbers swung from being the worst in a decade to the best. This is working for me so I just need to stick with it (which is always the hard part).

Last edited:
Another thing that has helped me is reminding myself that finding a calorie dense cache of sugar, fat etc. was very important to my ancestors so it's in my DNA to crave it. I think about that when I see a doughnut and it becomes a little easier to pass it up.

Last edited:
Food is my drug of choice. It makes me feel so good. Like a big hug on the inside.

I started a dietary log about a year ago.

I ate a lot more than I need and the awareness of calorie intake has allowed me to slowly lose weight over the last year. Hopefully you find your path to success.

So far I’m about 40lbs into my program. Still have about 20 to go. Then I have to figure out how not to gain it all back celebrating my big win.

Good luck

I'm not a real chef, so I have no plating skills. My food tends to taste pretty good, I think, but rarely scores points in the "looks" department! :cool:
It was actually just the puffy crust. I'm not a big fan of crust. When I make homemade the same things happens. I want my cheese and toppings all the way to the edge. The dogs get my crusts.

Cut back on tasty food ,increase your exercise and become a skinny grouch.

"Calories are units used by scientists to measure how good food tastes." Dave Barry
And speaking of Dave Barry, I have to share this momento from a column he wrote in the Miami Herald years ago and claimed my name could have been "Oee Bali" from my signature. :)

Dave Barry.jpg

After a recent trip to Asia, it was obvious why Americans have obesity issues.
Funny thing is, over there, I can drink beer every night and still lose weight.

Funny thing is, over there, I can drink beer every night and still lose weight.
I understand the historic reasons that brewed alcoholic beverages were safer to consume -- particularly after storage -- than "fresh" water. That said, in today's age of easy, cheap and abundant filtration, sterilization, and refrigeration, I'm genuinely shocked at how prevalent drinking alcohol remains in many societies around the globe. It seems to me that much of the developed world could accurately be described as so-called functional alcoholics*. I have at times owned bottles of scotch in my liquor cabinet that were older than I am.

* Not casting any stones -- Like the OP, food is my vice of choice. I'm reading this thread to contemplate how to lose the 80 or so pounds I've gained since before the pandemic to facilitate getting back to "flying weight".

I have some new videos coming out soon. Until then, the playlist is below. :lol:

Keeping healthy is a constant struggle, and a lot of comments here struck home for me. Looking at the useful loads of the planes in my budget is a powerful motivator. In the past year, I lost 20 lbs and the impact on my health (both physical and mental) has been pretty astounding.

What worked for me mostly comes down to creating habits so healthier options become easier to choose:
- I found some healthy and easy breakfast and lunch options that I repeat daily. Not only do I have more energy throughout my day, but I'm way less likely to overeat or choose unhealthy options at dinner, which is where I still give myself variety to enjoy.
- I use a fitness app that encourages short but regular exercise over longer but infrequent workouts, and this has been huge. It wasn't until this became a habit that I really started to see the benefit of changes to my diet.
- I started taking walks more regularly. If you're only going to make one change, it should be this. People commented on how many Asians are so thin, and when I was in Japan people drank way more heavily and ate huge servings of noodles and grilled meats daily. But everyone also walks like 5-10 miles a day, you will see 70 year old women weighing about 80 lbs and carrying two bags of groceries up a steep hill like she's a Nepalese sherpa carting a tech CEO up Everest.

I understand the historic reasons that brewed alcoholic beverages were safer to consume -- particularly after storage -- than "fresh" water. That said, in today's age of easy, cheap and abundant filtration, sterilization, and refrigeration, I'm genuinely shocked at how prevalent drinking alcohol remains in many societies around the globe. It seems to me that much of the developed world could accurately be described as so-called functional alcoholics*. I have at times owned bottles of scotch in my liquor cabinet that were older than I am.

* Not casting any stones -- Like the OP, food is my vice of choice. I'm reading this thread to contemplate how to lose the 80 or so pounds I've gained since before the pandemic to facilitate getting back to "flying weight".
To-alcohol-The-cause-of-and-solution-to-all-of-lifes-problems._.jpg

I'm pretty certain "they" drink beer for the same reason I do - to get f'd up.

Why is it bad tastes so good, and vice-versa?

Why are the "pretty" flowers so hard to grow and maintain, but the ones that sprout up and thrive on their own we call "weeds".

It is like nature is against us from all angles. Kind of leads to the human alien theory. Humans just aren't designed to survive on this planet!

I have to ask. I understand the whole no-carb or low carb diet, but if you’re making up for that with empty calories in alcohol, then you really haven’t gained anything. I’d much rather have unrefined, complex carbs, than empty calories from alcohol hindering weight loss. Cut the booze and keep the low carb diet as you are and I bet you’ll see those pounds come off.

I have to ask. I understand the whole no-carb or low carb diet, but if you’re making up for that with empty calories in alcohol, then you really haven’t gained anything. I’d much rather have unrefined, complex carbs, than empty calories from alcohol hindering weight loss. Cut the booze and keep the low carb diet as you are and I bet you’ll see those pounds come off.

Whiskey has no carbs. :cool:

It's pretty darned difficult to lose weight while you're consuming alcohol. It's so calorie dense your body focuses on it and anything else in your system goes straight to fat...or so I've read. I've cut alcohol out during the week and would have made much more progress had I cut it out altogether....I just like my home brew too much

giphy.gif

It was actually just the puffy crust. I'm not a big fan of crust. When I make homemade the same things happens. I want my cheese and toppings all the way to the edge. The dogs get my crusts.
My dog has me well trained in this department. Boss bought us pizza, Co-workers are wondering why I am throwing the crust on the floor:).

Brian

Back