I SOLOED Y'all!!!

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
It was a perfect morning - absolutely perfect. Dead calm on the ground, but I had to hold it in a 30 degree crab to maintain my line around the pattern as we did three full landings in the pattern. I had realized the other day that one of my main problems was getting behind the plane - I'd know that at X point I would have to do Y, but I wouldn't really think about it until I got there. Today, I was thinking ahead of time, and when I got there, I just did the thing and started thinking about the next thing I'd have to do, etc. It worked like a charm. I announced to him everything I was going to be doing, what I was doing and why, what was wrong and what was right, made little changes to get where I wanted to be and it was all working like a charm.

Then the dang fool said he was getting out of the airplane and I was staying in it! And he really wasn't up for a lot of discussion about it!

So he did. And I did. I rolled out onto the runway and thought, "well, what I've been doing was working so well, I'll just keep doing that - talk my way through this, like I talked to him the whole time." Took off and, on a morning when the bird was just JUMPING up in the air, it jumped even higher and faster! I turned crosswind and, of course, that's when everyone else wanted to show up and start landing. :eek: BUt we worked it out - I was ready to extend downwind, but didn't need to do that. In the confusion (at the point of the downwind/base turn) I had raised my nose to extend the downwind. When I didn't have to do that, I turned, but my nose was still a bit high, bleeding off some airspeed. I caught that, though, and lowered the nose and kept on truckin', same as it ever was. Made my turn onto final - was tweaking the power to stay where I wanted to be, then went back to idle and went on down there where the runway is. Rounded out, kept following the sink with more elevator and the next thing ya know, I'd landed the dang airplane! Wheeeeeeeeee!
I didn't start shaking until I turned it off over at the hangar. Then I could hardly write my time in the flight log. But I did it, and sonofagun, I feel like a huge weight has been taken off of me! Now it's about consistency, because I know that I can do it - heck, I've gone and done it!

Thanks for all the help, y'all - you're a great resource!

Tom, I replied on the red, but I'll say "congrats" again here, good gob!

Great News!!

Glad you enjoyed it, there is more fun to come.

That is awesome! Congratulations! You're getting closer...feel the tingle of excitement!

CONGRATS TOM !!!!

Now, about that perm :D grin......

I hear ya' on getting the shakes after the fact......I was fine during the solo but when I went to lock the door I could hardly get the key in the lock!

On to Cross Country !!!

YEEEEEE-HAW, Pilot!

--Kath

Welcome to the brotherhood and sisterhood of pilots.

You don't have the paper yet, but as of today you ARE a pilot!

:d :d :d :d

grrr - why won't this thing let me do grinning faces????

Ah, who cares! I soloed! :D

Last edited:
Congratulations. It's a day you'll remember all your life.

Keith Lane said:
Congrats Tom.
Now you'll be hard to live with for a few days!!!!
JUST KIDDING!!!!!!:D
Lord, I'm ALREADY hard to live with! ... kidding! (?) ....

WOO HOO! Now you'd best get that PP-ASEL before the fly-in! GET TO WORK!

Good job!!!

Tom,

Great job. Now to get to work on those cross country flights. Woohoo!! More fun.:goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

Glad to hear of your success today. Can't wait to hear when you get that piece of paper...:hairraise:

Amazing how much better the plane climbs without that instructor in the right seat, isn't it? Congratulations!

I'll add my CONGRATS too, Tomkeep up the good work and in no timre you'll be saying "I Passed The Checkride"
Dave G.
P.S. Now the fun really begins

Congradulations! That is an acheivement that most earth grounded pilots have no idea how hard it is. All my solo students come down saying they still hear me talking in their head or singing "I'm a little tea pot". I frequently sing to see if they are listening to me or concentrating too hard on flying. Yes, you can over concentrate and lock up mentally flying. B)

The entropy of the universe has slightly decreased.

Congratulations! :)

If nothing else, you've aligned a few synaptic connections in gaining the ability to fly without external human prompting!

Just don't try to reach equilibrium again by increasing the disorder of the airframe ! :rolleyes:

etsisk said:
Maybe it's decreased . . . maybe it's increased!!

:D

it was Paul - he and Brant got together and decided that whoever was flying with me when my flying was "on" would just go ahead and solo my sorry butt. And that's what they did!

Way to go Tom. Not just the solo but the feeling that you're starting to get ahead of the airplane as that's what piloting is really about.

Back