I should probably know this but...

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Restricted airspace; Specifically on the Albuquerque Center chart, number R-5701 C which states on the altitude "9000 to unlimited." Does that mean that the restriction is up to 9000 or starts at 9000 and above? If I fly East to see my folks this is a huge wall that I'd have to go around if it is active.

Are you referring to 5107C at white sands missle range? If so that's 9k and above Monday through Friday with notams 12hours prior to going hot on weekends.

I'm lesdixic. It's 5107B specifically if I go South. This one is "unlimited" with no air to ground communications.

Ewe. Foreflight shows B from surface to 23999 continuous. The chart shows surface to 1500agl excluded from 5107b. How low are you willing to fly?

Not very low over those mountains. I think I can just plan it to miss the restricted airspace to the North or the South.

Not very low over those mountains. I think I can just plan it to miss the restricted airspace to the North or the South.

Not like it matters but I would do the same. Not much out there and flying low to save a few minutes would be outside my acceptable risk profile but everyone is different in what they are ok with accepting.

Out here in the West I've grown to respect the mountains wind or no wind.

I was trying to go north of 5107 coming from Cali a few years back. Getting beat all to hell around 12,000. Finally turned south and descended down to smooth air and went through the ELP area. Much better route.

Now imagine trying to fly that at 1500 AGL. o_O

Well in my case I was 11-12,000 MSL over the mountains west of 5107. So basically a couple thousand AGL in a few areas.

I went south of it on my way west. I should just kept that plan on the way east. :(

I fly through Ft Chaffee R space all the time. On occasion, I get vectored around.

Best be talking to a controller though. They are responsible for you if you are IFR or on FF. And before the FF experts pile in, I had a discussion with a supervisor at an Tracon about FF and airspace. He said they are responsible for your airspace if you are receiving services and in communication.

What is the right way to do a 1500' AGL floor if you really want to fly under it? In the flats, it's easy, but in the mountains? If I fly across a valley, am I expected to make a drop, then climb beyond the ability of my plane? Never really understood how to pull off using a corridor like that.

Correct. Even if it is active, ATC can clear you through.

True. When I was a controller at Eglin AFB, and a CFI in the Aero Club, I would get approved into the restricted areas there w/ my students and practice/instruct there. But remember, many restricted areas can go hot quickly, and then ya gotta go somewhere else.

Restricted airspace; Specifically on the Albuquerque Center chart, number R-5701 C which states on the altitude "9000 to unlimited." Does that mean that the restriction is up to 9000 or starts at 9000 and above? If I fly East to see my folks this is a huge wall that I'd have to go around if it is active.

Man you should know this is right! :eek:;)

Back