I see now why lots of planes have old avionics

So I've been reaching out to get quotes on upgrading the avionics in my plane and I just received the first one today: $38,000, not including tax; doesn't even include an auto-pilot :(

I've learned through hard experience that the best way to get the avionics you want is to purchase and airplane that already has them.

Very true. But in my case, I really like everything about the airplane except the avionics...:)

Experimentals are a little better, but I still experienced major sticker shock. I just got a quote(from a shop with a good reputation) to purchase and install a Dynon Skyview 10" display, ADHRS, 4 cyl eng. monitoring for the Dynon, a GTX 45 xpndr, GTR 200 comm, and swap out my TruTrak AP for a Dynon controlled by the Skyview. $29K. For an experimental, VFR, basic glass panel. No GPS.

I'm going to reexamine my options...

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do at this point. I am still looking at other planes as a possibility. Since my GX50 is Tango Uniform, I did order a replacement for that, which was just a hair cheaper than the $12,000 the GTN-650 would run me. I'm also contemplating maybe doing an auto-pilot + ADS-B + paint and interior, maybe that would be the most bang for the buck; the whole thing is sort of frustrating. Honestly if I had a million dollars to spend, it would probably be the same problem, just with different airplanes involved.

I just had a bunch of work done: Ditched a KLN 89B for a GTN 750, tossed the KMA 24 and DRE 6000 for a GMA 350c, swapped the GTX 327 for a GTX 345, added the FlightStream 510 to the GTN, and also removed KN64, KR87, KX155, Argus 7000/CE, GPS selector/annunciator panel, and relocated KX165 and HSI slaving control.

The price came to $43K, which some here will probably indicate was on the high side. However, they also removed a TON of existing wiring, rang out and tested all of the remaining wiring and antennas (and replaced one antenna and some bad coax), refurbished my old KX165, recalibrated the altitude preselector, etc... The old gear was mostly as it was from the factory, the new gear is installed so well it might be better than factory. No extraneous unused wiring, every little thing (like the panel and back-seat audio inputs) wired up exactly correctly, just really good work.

The job was done perfectly. It was done exactly on time, exactly on budget, exactly as specified, with excellent communication throughout the process. Every feature of every box works, including the weird things that depend on interconnections between them. The price may be higher than some quotes, but it was money well spent to get the quality of work that we got.

Meanwhile, the same shop nearly always has at least one plane in their hangar that was upgraded elsewhere, with poor quality work done the first time, getting it re-done for owners who learned the hard way.

I can't recommend Skycom Avionics highly enough. They're not a big name, but they do excellent work.

Received my third quote today: $48,860. This does include dual Garmin G5 units, but man, this doesn't even get me an autopilot which is pretty disheartening.

I'm trying to convince myself to buy:
Garmin 650 GPS/COM
Garmin GTX 345 (ADSB in and out)
Garmin GMA 345 Audio Panel
Garmin G5's (2)
The good news, sweet setup, can get rid of vacuum pump, saving ~40lbs
The bad news: 35 AMU's (Aircraft Monetary Units, each AMU=$1K)

Doesn’t Garmin require installation be done by a Certified by Them ship?

Doesn’t Garmin require installation be done by a Certified by Them ship?

What Garmin policies dictate isn't the same as what a certified mechanic needs to install them. Lots of mechanic owners install their own radios. It may invalidate the warranty but who cares?

Some radios are sold over the counter with everything needed including the STC data package and letter of authorization to use it, with a warranty.

What Garmin policies dictate isn't the same as what a certified mechanic needs to install them. Lots of mechanic owners install their own radios. It may invalidate the warranty but who cares?

Some radios are sold over the counter with everything needed including the STC data package and letter of authorization to use it, with a warranty.
You’re not concerned about invalidating the warranty on a $20000 box?

Depends on your needs. A 430W and indicator can be had for around $9k and an Vizion autoplot for $5k, then figure installation. Keep your best radio as number 2 (no cost) and at least 2-3K for a certified ADS-B out solution. For ADS-B In, you can use a stratus, flightbox, or GDL device for under 1K.

I'll admit it I've had a booboo, frying my brand new audio panel when I had a jumper clipped to the bus bar which contacted a headphone jack. It cost $200 to fix the mistake.

I bet I put 150 man hours into that radio job, cost me most of my free time that spring but it was fun. All the radios that were in it, including the encoder got replaced that year.

Can't wait to get me a G5 HSI, already have one for dad's airplane on my desk.

Last edited:
Back