I needed a cigarette after this one...(long)

R

RobertGerace

Not really, but, metaphorically speaking...it was THAT good!

Yesterday was my first flight after messing around with the temperature indicators to make sure they were not lying to me.

I had planned a flight to Teterboro, NJ (TEB) after many people told me NOT to fly to LGA.

Going by my usual, 20gph, per side...I had planned a stop in Richmond for fuel.

After getting to altitude and letting things stabilize, I sucked in my breath and did....drum roll please...THE BIG PULL! It worked!!!! I peaked out very close to 1,650 TIT and came right back on the lean side of peak. It ran smooth and cool.

I noticed that my fuel flow was only 14.0 gph per side. I did lose some airspeed...so I moved the throttles back up to redline MP and my airspeed came back!

So here I am, at 9,000 feet, indicating about 161, truing 185, ground speed about 200, sipping fuel at 28gph...saving 12gph (that's about $50 an hour!)...with the engines, smooth, cool, and happy!

I had planned lunch with a CPA board member in New York and got off to kind of a late start. So...hmmmm...I wonder if I can make it to TEB with adequate reserves?

TEB was reporting an overcast ceiling of 2,500 and a ground temp above freezing. (Not at all challenging.) 45 minutes reserves would be 'collective wisdom' and 60 minutes would make me comfortable (especially because I might get vectored around up there.)

I was about 30 minutes from Richmond by my GPS and I knew a descent was coming. Having to climb would make my fuel situation worse...so I had to work fast.

I figured out that I could make it! Before LOP there would have been NO WAY I could have made it. I asked to ammend my route to TEB...got a new clearance...and waved at Richmond with a smile on my face as I passed them by!

I got to TEB and weather was worse than forecast. They put me right in the clag and I started to pick up just a hint of ice. I turned and checked the h-stab and it had a pretty good load! I would not have blown the boots had I not seen that...thank's to the FAA and the pilots who tell you to check!

TEB assigned me a vector to intercept the localizer to the ILS 6. I had it programmed in my GNS530 (and therefore had a magenta line to intercept.) I was so far out that neither radio (yes, I did have both tuned this time!) showed anything but flags. Had I not been using GPS I would have flown right through the localizer and been lost in the soup. This is very important! How on Earth do non GPS pilots find the localizer when they get turned that early? I had to track the GPS course inbound for 5 minutes or so before my radios came alive.

I busted out about 1,800...no big deal.

My GTX330 said my flight time was 3:36 from LZU to TEB! That's a 14 hour drive, folks! What a magic carpet that God and man came together to build and allow me to fly!

OK, time to go back. If you've flown up there, you know what is coming: full route clearance.

Check this out:

Teterboro Five Departure, radar vectors to Dixie, Victor 16, RIC, V157 LVL, V155 IRQ, V56 MCN, Direct LZU; expect 6,000 one-zero minutes after departure, departure frequence 126.7, squawk 1117.

So you don't have to look it up: Teterboro Five from runway 1 says:

Climb via heading 040 until leaving 1,500', then turn LEFT direct PNJ; Maintain 2000' until crossing PNJ, then climb and MAINTAIN 3,000. Dixie and White Departures: Expect vectors to COL R-350, then DIXIE via COL R-192.

Phew!

So I took off in the dark, but it was exactly that time where the sun has set on the ground but not quite at altitude. About the time I was crossing PNJ I went IMC. I broke out on top a couple of minutes later, but it was a very weird place up there. I could not yet see all of the Jet traffic as I was in a kind of misty space. There was no horizon. I knew that I had better not try to figure it out visually and stayed on instruments.

Side note: Isn't it cool how you reach a point where you don't get disoriented or the 'leans?' That view could be extremely disorienting, but I was comfortable that my instruments were saying that nothing was wrong with the attitude of the airplane...just leave it alone and don't touch anything unless the instruments tell you that you need to.

Once I broke out on the 'real' top there was a hint of orange to the west...just beautiful.

I did the BIG PULL again, and spent the next hour and 30 minutes flying the old-fashioned way...vor to vor via victor-airways. I knew that once I got past DC things would ease up...and they did. I asked for (and I had to ask really nice) direct LZU and got it....but it didn't stick.

Soon after, I got: Twin Cessna 310RG, I have an ammendment to your routing, report when ready to copy.

And this is the part I love. I absoulely LOVE to do this. This is better than a cold beer and Chineese food! I said, "Approach...310RG...STAND BY!"

I could have copied it right then and there...but I just love to say that!

30 seconds later: Approach, Twin Cessna 310RG...ready to copy.

Sure enough, I got the: Direct ELW, V311, CORCE intersection, V222, Logen, Direct LZU. I knew this would add about 10 minutes to my trip, and I was starting to get a little concerned about fuel.

I knew I had 60 minutes at touchdown and it really made me mad that I was going to land with 50. If they jerked me around I would either land with less than 45 (NOT)...or have to make a fuel stop.

I accepted the clearance and started looking at it on the MX20. They were going to take me right over the top of KCLT at 6,000! No, not Charlotte! Anywhere but Charlotte! That's where the mean controllers are!

I called back approach and asked him if he realized what was about to happen, and told him that, "I'm not minimum fuel...yet...and will land with legal reserves...but if we could come at CLT from an angle that will avoid vectors when I get there I would really appreciate it."

A few minutes later, he called back and said that if I win the Georgia Lotto to remember him because he got me cleared RIGHT THROUGH THE APPROACH COURSE OF CHARLOTTE AT 6,000!

It was extremely cool seeing those runways as I flew by them! As soon as I cleared them I got a handoff. I made sure to thank him for letting me fly right though his busy Class-B. He said, "You're welcome! Direct LZU!"

So I have to take back what I've said about the Charlotte controllers.

It was late landing at LZU; so it was downgraded (no tower). I landed with an hour of fuel...about 3:40 after I took off!

I shut down and just sat there in the 'afterglow' listening to the gyro's spinning down...remembering when I was a 17 year old kid...working as a lineboy and I would hear those gyro's wondering what it was like to actually get to fly...

Man! This is great stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post! It is a shame that you don't really get into this stuff :) Many more...

David

RobertGerace said:
Man! This is great stuff!

Bob,

OK, you're having way more fun than human beings should be allowed to have! :D Glad to hear the trials and tribulations have been worth it.

RobertGerace said:
OK, time to go back. If you've flown up there, you know what is coming: full route clearance.

Check this out:

Teterboro Five Departure, radar vectors to Dixie, Victor 16, RIC, V157 LVL, V155 IRQ, V56 MCN, Direct LZU; expect 6,000 one-zero minutes after departure, departure frequence 126.7, squawk 1117.

Why on earth did they want to send you down to Macon first? Don't they know where LZU is?

Wow, what a story! I think I understood most of it, but I hope you don't mind if I open up the questions session now...

I'm training with GPS, and I have a lot of those "how do non-GPS people do it?" moments. Especially transitioning between some enroute airway and an approach. The answer I usually get is basically "vectors and trust" which are plentiful on the East Coast. Well, the vectors are plentiful anyway. :) When I ask my CFII how you do it if you're in a non-radar environment, he kind of shruggs and says "pre-flight planning", which means just knowing where all the pointy/rocky things are in the area and finding your way to your IAF's above the MSA. The idea still kinda freaks me out. I'm not sure what you mean about intercepting localizers, though--that part seems easy! It seems perfectly normal to me to have a localizer needle pegged for a long while before it comes alive and you can track it. You don't need to be tracking anything when on vectors; just keep a VOR tuned and "following along" seems like a good idea, though.

About fuel reserves... my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong here) is that the 45-minute rule applies to the fuel that you have in your tanks at takeoff for the planned flight. You're not legally required to land with 45 minutes worth still in the tanks, are you? It seems like the whole point of the requirement is to allow for unexpected delays during the flight... so if you've dipped into your reserve during the flight because you're re-routed, well, that's what the reserve is for, isn't it? At least, legally speaking. I might want to land with 45 minutes left for personal reasons, but not because of FAR's. This affects what "minimum fuel" means... does it mean "I'll run out of gas if I'm delayed" or does it mean "I'll have less than 45 minutes left if I'm delayed." I'm guessing the former, but maybe the more learned here could shed some light.

Looking forward to epic IFR stories of my own someday,
--Kath

Kath,

I'm not an IFR pilot (yet), but the 45 minute reserve requirement for IFR is analogous to the 30 minute reserve requirement for VFR. Don't plan to land with the tanks dry. I recall both being mentioned in my student pilot days.

rpadula said:
Why on earth did they want to send you down to Macon first? Don't they know where LZU is?

Rich,

I heard that and just shrugged my shoulders. I wasn't going to try to sort it out with TEB clearance. I knew that by the time I got to Richmond I could get it changed. Worst case, if they refused to change it I would just land for fuel and re-file.

I'm really not sure why they did that.

But to get it changed, the convo went like this:

RG: Approach, Twin Cessna 310RG, Request.

AP: 310RG go ahead

RG: Request Direct Lawrenceville...(note...this was a mistake because the LVL in my route was Lawerenceville, VA...I wanted to cram those words back in my mouth but it I had let go of the PTT).

AP: Twin Cessna 310RG, cleared direct Lawerenceville

RG: I'm sorry...there are two Lawerenceville's in my route. I'm attempting to get cleared directly to Kilo Lima Zulu Uniform airport because currently I have to go all the way down to Macon, and that is quite a bit out of my way.

AP: Twin Cessna 310RG...cleared Lawerenceville airport, Lima, Zulu, Uniform...but don't blame me if they put you back on your original route when you leave my airspace.

RG: Thanks! You're the MAN!

kath said:
Wow, what a story! I think I understood most of it, but I hope you don't mind if I open up the questions session now...

I'm training with GPS, and I have a lot of those "how do non-GPS people do it?" moments. Especially transitioning between some enroute airway and an approach. The answer I usually get is basically "vectors and trust" which are plentiful on the East Coast. Well, the vectors are plentiful anyway. :) When I ask my CFII how you do it if you're in a non-radar environment, he kind of shruggs and says "pre-flight planning", which means just knowing where all the pointy/rocky things are in the area and finding your way to your IAF's above the MSA. The idea still kinda freaks me out. I'm not sure what you mean about intercepting localizers, though--that part seems easy! It seems perfectly normal to me to have a localizer needle pegged for a long while before it comes alive and you can track it. You don't need to be tracking anything when on vectors; just keep a VOR tuned and "following along" seems like a good idea, though.

About fuel reserves... my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong here) is that the 45-minute rule applies to the fuel that you have in your tanks at takeoff for the planned flight. You're not legally required to land with 45 minutes worth still in the tanks, are you? It seems like the whole point of the requirement is to allow for unexpected delays during the flight... so if you've dipped into your reserve during the flight because you're re-routed, well, that's what the reserve is for, isn't it? At least, legally speaking. I might want to land with 45 minutes left for personal reasons, but not because of FAR's. This affects what "minimum fuel" means... does it mean "I'll run out of gas if I'm delayed" or does it mean "I'll have less than 45 minutes left if I'm delayed." I'm guessing the former, but maybe the more learned here could shed some light.

--Kath

Kath,

I'm not a CFI(I); so please take my answers with a grain of salt.

Regarding the first question: Using VOR's you are aware of your position, and using DME (or a cross fix of VOR's) you are aware of your position. So, there is really no excuse for not knowing where you are.

Now, if you have either allowed yourself to be cleared to an altitude lower than the Minimum Enroute Altitude (which is possible because the controller has an Minimum Vectoring Altitude) and you can't receive the VOR signals...you're screwed. So, rule number 1 is: stay high enough to receive the signals...rule number 2 is: make sure you are keeping up with the VOR's (finger on the chart routine)...and your position relative to the fixes on your charts.

You should know from your IFR training that you need to be 22 miles from the station to descend below MEA (to MOCA) and be guaranteed reception of the signals, and that you need to be about that distance from the localizer antenna. Basically I'm not going to take a vector to the localizer unless I'll be inside 20 miles when I get there...and I know that by keeping up with my position, staying high enough to keep up with my position, and doing some quick thinking...while hand flying the airplane in clouds and turbulence! This is good stuff!

Now, you might not have a choice but to descent if the MOCA is ridiculously high for an approach and landing, and at that point...it is basically dead-rec from your last point of VOR reception (compass-and-timer). In practice it almost never happens. This is the first time I was sent to the localizer to intercept it 40+ miles out.

Of course, in radar coverage...you just go where they tell you. Had I flown through the localizer's extended course, he would have just vectored me back to it. (Er, uh...I should say that you 'go where they tell you' as long as it makes sense...all of the 'finger on the chart routine' still applies.)

Regarding question 2:

Other than the 'careless and reckless' I suspect the engine(s) could quit as you're over the fence, and if you set it down on the runway and nobody gets hurt you're legal.

However, here's a little story...

One thing that people love to argue about is whether or not to run your auxillary tanks dry in Twin Cessnas. I have chosen to do it. I want ALL the fuel available for flights at the limit of my range. I can't land on Aux tanks (I guess I could with PIC authority but I assume they say don't do it for a reason).

When the tank runs dry, the engine quits. There is absolutely no warning...it is running fine one second, and a VMC rollover is starting the next second.

This lets me: use all the fuel
practice One-Engine-Inoperative skills (which one quit...opposite rudder) on every flight
And learn more about my airplane

Simply switching the fuel back to the main tank re-starts the engine.

By the way, I wait 5 minutes after putting the first one on auxillary before I put the second one on aux. That way, if the left one quits and I for some reason can't get it restarted, I can reach down and keep the other one going.

All of this in a long winded way (sorry)...to say...

I'm not taking any chances. I want an hour of fuel on a normal approach. I want two hours on a tight approach...and I want 3 hours on an 'iffy' approach.

45 minutes with Atlanta forecast as 6,000 OVC, 5 miles vis, in mist...is about the very minimum I can deal with.

Hope that helps. :)

Kath,

Thanks for your questions. The first one caused me to go look up some stuff to make sure I was telling you correctly. BTW, I hope I got it right...if not, somebody please correct me.

They say you never learn something until you teach it. For this reason I need to be at least an IGI...if not a CFII.

Ghery said:
I'm not an IFR pilot (yet), but the 45 minute reserve requirement for IFR is analogous to the 30 minute reserve requirement for VFR. Don't plan to land with the tanks dry. I recall both being mentioned in my student pilot days.

Yeah, I remember this from VFR too. You have to plan in such a way as to have at least 30 (or 45) minutes worth when you land. But what I'm asking is, it's not illegal to actually land with less than 30 (or 45) minutes worth in the tanks. If you encountered delays, then the plan, which included a reserve, has served its purpose. Right?

--Kath

Kath,

As far as I know they can always bust you on 'careless/reckless,' but to my knowledge it is perfectly legal to run the tanks dry and glide to the runway.

Re: navigating off-airways... (more thinking aloud)

Let's separate the question into with-radar and without-radar for a minute, because I'm getting confused. I'll start saying stuff, and when I say something not correct, somebody please jump in! :)

Let's say that ATC has you on radar. While you're on an airway, they can clear you to an altitude below the MEA, because they have minimum vectoring altitudes. You don't know what they are, but you're on their radar and you're trusting them. Similarly, as you approach your destination, they can vector you off your airway to go chase an IAF somewhere, as in "cleared direct Blahsville VOR" or intercept the localizer, as in, "fly heading 120, intercept localizer 28 at Podunk" or what have you. Again, they've got the minimum vectoring altitudes in front of them, and now you're off the airways so there is no MEA or MOCA at all. Just the vectors.

Now in the first example, you need to be high enough to receive the Blahsville VOR so you can go direct to it... Now I'm not sure what's supposed to happen if ATC has cleared you there but not assigned you an altitude high enough to receive it. In the second example, ATC is "navigating you" so why do you need to be able to receive anything (except the localizer you've been told to intercept)? Other than common-sense situational awareness of course, which goes without saying... I'm just trying to understand the nitpicky who's-required-to-do-what of this whole business.

Okay, so same thing but this time no radar. With no radar, no vectors, no minimum vectoring altitudes, or any of that stuff. So when ATC says "cleared direct Blahsville VOR, maintain 4000", how do they know that's high enough? Or is it up to you to know that that's high enough somehow?

Suppose then you do your approach and go missed, and you want to fly to your alternate. Or the winds have shifted and you want to fly a different approach at the same airport. Here you are holding at some missed approach fix in the middle of nowhere. What happens next? I live in New England, so I would just request vectors to wherever I want to go... but without radar, what do you do? I've asked my CFII this question and this is the point where he says, "Know where all the pointy/rocky things are". And this seems unsatisfying.

Now my brain is all upside down. What am I missing here? (I'm going to take the written and a stage check tomorrow... but it still stuns me how much I still don't understand about this IFR stuff...)

--Kath

Great story Bob. Glad you are getting things worked out with your 310.

I love it. This is how an aircraft with UTILITY is to be used. This is exactly what a 370 hour CFI cannot teach. It's really graduate school in general avation....

bbchien said:
I love it. This is how an aircraft with UTILITY is to be used. This is exactly what a 370 hour CFI cannot teach. It's really graduate school in general avation....

Absolutly Dr. Bruce!

And the more capable the airplane, the more options you have, but the more training/proficiency you need. Last week I drove 14 hours in one day because I could not fly. With De-ice I could have, but that is not in my tool box yet, and I really don't want it to be, yet. Maybe someday, but not now. Anyway, a long, but safe day.

It is interesting to fly with a low time CFI who looks at my logbook and says "I can't teach you anything, you have 3 times the hours I do." To which I reply, I can learn from anyone, anytime, so try. I usually do learn something.

Good thread Bob.

Kath and Bob, the rule isn't always 45 minutes--if you need to declare an alternate, you need more. You need to be able to fly the the first airport, fly to the alternate, and then fly an additional 45 minutes. Notice that the requirements says " . . . unless it carries. . . " I believe this means that you had better land with more than 45 minutes of fuel.

Here's the rule:

§ 91.167 Fuel requirements for flight in IFR conditions.

(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft in IFR conditions unless it carries enough fuel (considering weather reports and forecasts and weather conditions) to—

(1) Complete the flight to the first airport of intended landing;

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, fly from that airport to the alternate airport; and

(3) Fly after that for 45 minutes at normal cruising speed or, for helicopters, fly after that for 30 minutes at normal cruising speed.

(b) Paragraph (a)(2) of this section does not apply if:

(1) Part 97 of this chapter prescribes a standard instrument approach procedure to, or a special instrument approach procedure has been issued by the Administrator to the operator for, the first airport of intended landing; and

(2) Appropriate weather reports or weather forecasts, or a combination of them, indicate the following:

(i) For aircraft other than helicopters. For at least 1 hour before and for 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival, the ceiling will be at least 2,000 feet above the airport elevation and the visibility will be at least 3 statute miles.

(ii) For helicopters. At the estimated time of arrival and for 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival, the ceiling will be at least 1,000 feet above the airport elevation, or at least 400 feet above the lowest applicable approach minima, whichever is higher, and the visibility will be at least 2 statute miles.

kath said:

--Kath

Great post, Bob. I'm going to do a reply after this student. . . .

RobertGerace said:
. . .

Going by my usual, 20gph, per side...I had planned a stop in Richmond for fuel.

. . .

I noticed that my fuel flow was only 14.0 gph per side. I did lose some airspeed...so I moved the throttles back up to redline MP and my airspeed came back!

So here I am, at 9,000 feet, indicating about 161, truing 185, ground speed about 200, sipping fuel at 28gph...saving 12gph (that's about $50 an hour!)...with the engines, smooth, cool, and happy!

That sounds great. Are you 300 hp per side? Now, what I'd do in this case is to flight plan for 17 GPH, but lean as you were. This way I'd have a safety margin.
RobertGerace said:
. . .

TEB assigned me a vector to intercept the localizer to the ILS 6. I had it programmed in my GNS530 (and therefore had a magenta line to intercept.) I was so far out that neither radio (yes, I did have both tuned this time!) showed anything but flags. Had I not been using GPS I would have flown right through the localizer and been lost in the soup. This is very important! How on Earth do non GPS pilots find the localizer when they get turned that early? I had to track the GPS course inbound for 5 minutes or so before my radios came alive.!

I think you are pulling our legs, right? ;)

RobertGerace said:
Side note: Isn't it cool how you reach a point where you don't get disoriented or the 'leans?' That view could be extremely disorienting, but I was comfortable that my instruments were saying that nothing was wrong with the attitude of the airplane...just leave it alone and don't touch anything unless the instruments tell you that you need to.

That's great technique. As my CFII always says, you should be able to make adjustments to the stick with just three fingers of your left hand.

RobertGerace said:
. . .

It was late landing at LZU; so it was downgraded (no tower). I landed with an hour of fuel...about 3:40 after I took off!

. . .

That's awesome; just awesome!

The diff in Vfr and Ifr are for Vfr you cannot take off with out PLANNED 30 min reserves. (day) 45 min night.

IFR you cannot fly IN IFR CONDITIONS with out 45 min reserves.(airplane)

cherokeeflyboy said:
The diff in Vfr and Ifr are for Vfr you cannot take off with out PLANNED 30 min reserves. (day) 45 min night.

and sometimes more.

Ben,

Nope. Not pulling your leg. It was an early turn, but it was a no-brainer for me because of redundancy. The more I fly the more I realize that the key to success is redundancy. When I become a CFI (or more likely, IGI)...my mantra will be:

Is there any possible way that you could further back yourself up? If the answer is yes...they are not ready to graduate!

Regarding HP...my engines are rated at 285 each...but in the configuration I had them, I'm guessing I was as just under 200hp.

I think I could have run them harder, but I'm happy with my numbers, fuel flow, and UTILITY!

Bruce, thanks for your continual mentoring...we started down this road about five years ago (hard to believe, but that's how long it has been!) I couldn't have done it without you!

I'm having a blast!
Bob

RobertGerace said:
!

Regarding HP...my engines are rated at 285 each...but in the configuration I had them, I'm guessing I was as just under 200hp.

Which model was it when they upped it to 300hp? I had thought it was the "R."

wangmyers said:
Which model was it when they upped it to 300hp? I had thought it was the "R."

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that 310's ever came from the factory with 300 HP per side.

RobertGerace said:
Ben,

Nope. Not pulling your leg. It was an early turn, but it was a no-brainer for me because of redundancy. The more I fly the more I realize that the key to success is redundancy. When I become a CFI (or more likely, IGI)...my mantra will be:

Is there any possible way that you could further back yourself up? If the answer is yes...they are not ready to graduate!

I think I could have run them harder, but I'm happy with my numbers, fuel flow, and UTILITY!

Bruce, thanks for your continual mentoring...we started down this road about five years ago (hard to believe, but that's how long it has been!) I couldn't have done it without you!

I'm having a blast!
Bob

That was a great post Bob, I'm glad you're finally getting something back for all that money and effort you put into the 310.

BTW the next time you're thinking fuel might be tight, you ought to consider slowing down about 10-15 KIAS to increase your range. Often times this makes the time from start to finish less if it eliminates a fuel stop which IME adds close to an hour to the total.

cherokeeflyboy said:

Yep, when IFR (actually when IMC exists between you and your destination), you must continuously evaluate your fuel status and take some sort of corrective action if it looks like you won't have the 45 (at normal cruise flow) when you land. Personally I go for a full hour, and if I can't get that by slowing down and/or changing altitudes, I will make an intermediate stop. Wx plays a role in the evaluation as well. The FAR's require you to include fuel to reach a legal alternate unless the wx at your destination is forecast to be nearly VMC (3 miles vis and 2000 ft ceiling). Even if an alternate isn't required I monitor the wx at the dest. plus some nearby airports every hour along the way to see if things are getting worse than the forecast, and if so I include a leg to better conditions or at least a good ILS when doing my in flight fuel planning.

Legally you aren't required to do any of this when VFR, but it's still a good idea. IMO that last hour in the tanks is for emergencies not contingencies.

lancefisher said:
That was a great post Bob, I'm glad you're finally getting something back for all that money and effort you put into the 310.

BTW the next time you're thinking fuel might be tight, you ought to consider slowing down about 10-15 KIAS to increase your range. Often times this makes the time from start to finish less if it eliminates a fuel stop which IME adds close to an hour to the total.

I'm fond of Melville Byington's site: http://www.db.erau.edu/research/cruise/piston.frame.html

If you have a stiff headwind amounting to 25% of the cruise speed of the a/c, e.g, Flight Levels into the jetstream, it will not pay to power down. Very good analysis. I have Vlrc (long range cruise) at fl 04 and 16 posted on my throttle quadrant.....

T310Rs: they come with TSIO-520M's at 285 hp per side. But after RAM gets done with them.... and a lot of the fleet has been there...

Last edited:
bbchien said:
I'm fond of Melville Byington's site: http://www.db.erau.edu/research/cruise/piston.frame.html

If you have a stiff headwind amounting to 25% of the cruise speed of the a/c, e.g, Flight Levels into the jetstream, it will not pay to power down. Very good analysis. I have Vlrc (long range cruise) at fl 04 and 16 posted on my throttle quadrant.....

T310Rs: they come with TSIO-520M's at 285 hp per side. But after RAM gets done with them.... and a lot of the fleet has been there...

Thanks for the link Bruce it is bookmarked in my "aviation learning" folder. Always learning.

Back