I Need More Flights Like This

Danos

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i And I Survive
I'm taking the next few months to build experience and have some fun with aviation. The other night two friends and I took a Twin Comanche to KORF for some sushi and to get me some twin time. The forecast called for CAVU on the way down and some nice IMC on the way back up.

We did a preflight and left KCDW at sunset to go up the Hudson Corridor and be en-route by the time it started getting dark. The flight down was calm and clear as expected. Had a strong headwind that slowed us but I knew we'd make up for it on the way back. After eating and getting fuel and a briefing that changed to VFR at our desired altitude. We decided not to file but we had flight following as usual, and if we found ourselves in the **** we'd file in the air. Over Ocean City, MD I couldn't see the coast so we got a clearance. Just in time. The ground disappeared and when we turned on the landing light we saw snow. Our clearance was at 9000ft an the OAT was about -5. Nice conditions for icing and the turbulence was getting heavy. I flew and my friend kept and eye on the structure to see if we were picking anything up. after about 20 minutes I noticed frost on the windscreen so we opted for lower and came down to give 7000ft a try. At this point the controller sounded aggravated at our requests. We were cleared, the buildup stopped and we were still in the soup across Philladelphia and into Central NJ. ATC brought us down to 3000 and we broke out on the descent so we got a visual back into KCDW.

We got to see a bit of everything on this flight and I finally got to break 200kts! Also got had great CRM practice, .7 actual, and my other friend who back seated is starting flying lessons next week! Hooked one :D. The only thing it was missing was a nice approach. Maybe next time.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7581Y/history/20080326/0249Z/KORF/KMJX

Last edited:
At this point the controller sounded aggravated at our requests.

Did you mention in your request that you were picking up ice? If not, maybe it would help the attitude next time to tell him/her.

Keep working on that multi time!

Did you mention in your request that you were picking up ice? If not, maybe it would help the attitude next time to tell him/her.

Keep working on that multi time!
Plus, you should have filed a PIREP! Sounds like the conditions weren't quite what was forecast.

Very cool, Danos, sounds like a pretty much perfect IFR type flight!

Back