I need learning on cowl flaps

The flight in the 182 was a goid lesson in cowl flap operation. Do it the way the book says - nothing magic to it. As I move up the airplane heirarchy, checklists take on much more importance. It is a big deal to teach primary students to get into the habit of using them.

The flight in the 182 was a good lesson in cowl flap operation. Do it the way the book says - nothing magic to it. As I move up the airplane heirarchy, checklists take on much more importance. It is a big deal to teach primary students to get into the habit of using them.

Efficiency is not the same as fuel consumption, and marketers in this field use that to their advantage.

If you make more power, you burn more fuel and make more heat. If it's in proportion, that's the same efficiency.

The point of an intercooler is to cram more fuel/air in. Why would you use the same power setting?

Ask them.

This.

I don't deny it completely, but pulling off 2" of MAP instead of 1" isn't going to crack cylinders. It takes drastic measures to get even remotely close to "shock cooling" your engine.
Things you won't even manage to do... Like dropping the engine in near freezing water or LN2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If you are getting cold, zip up your hoodie. If you are getting warm, unzip your hoodie. If you are really clever, zip up your hoodie just before you enter the over-air conditioned room and unzip it just as you leave it.

Just because it has to do with aviation doesn't mean it has to be complicated.

The flight in the 182 was a good lesson in cowl flap operation. Do it the way the book says - nothing magic to it. As I move up the airplane heirarchy, checklists take on much more importance. It is a big deal to teach primary students to get into the habit of using them.

No

For one it's a check list not a do list.

For two
Doing what the book says is good for a under 10hr pre solo student, what is needed, and expected, is to know WHY, just following directions in a paint by numbers way isn't conducive to being pilot in command.

There WILL be situations that the book doesn't address, the book also doesn't fully cover every single situation, climate or operation.

Understand what the things do and use them as needed.

If you are getting cold, zip up your hoodie. If you are getting warm, unzip your hoodie. If you are really clever, zip up your hoodie just before you enter the over-air conditioned room and unzip it just as you leave it.

Just because it has to do with aviation doesn't mean it has to be complicated.

Precisely

You use the same power settings because those are the ones the engine is rated for.

Now there is one advantage I can see - you do get better high altitude performance, as you can still make the same power roughly 3,000 feet higher than you could make without the intecooler.

Cowl flaps:

Never used them before.

My understanding - opened up, they allow more airflow over the engine for cooling.

Are they normally operated on a simple procedure like open during taxi, open during takeoff and climb, closed during cruise? Or is it more complicated than that?

Add open cowl flaps after landing, and that's how they are intended to work on a Cutlass.

Now there is one advantage I can see - you do get better high altitude performance, as you can still make the same power roughly 3,000 feet higher than you could make without the intecooler.

Exactly, that's what I pointed out earlier, the efficiency doesn't come from the engine itself, but the added efficiency of the airframe carrying the extra horsepower at a higher altitude where the airframe is more efficient.

Back