I need a screw but not sure what to google

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
My Comanche has a vast verity of screws holding the interior panels and plastics on and I want to clean it up.
There is a particular screw / "washer" combination I am looking for which I see on the planes that look great and win awards.

It is not the typical airplane washer that dips in allowing the washer and screw head to be flat. (However, I would like to know what that is called)
Its the ones where the washer sort of crowns up around the screw head almost creating a raised bed for the screw to set into.

Know what I'm talkin about?

I don't know what they are called so my Google is not working right. I would like to get rid of all of my interior screws and replace with them with those so they look better and are uniform.

Thx.

Update. Chat GPT tells me the one I am not looking for that we all have all over our planes with the washer with the dip in it is called a "Tinnerman Washer".
It hasn't yet told me what the other one (the one I want) is called. It is suggesting "Captive Screw" but that doesn't seem right.

Countersunk washers:

Countersunk washers:

Boom! That's it!
You beat Chat GPT in this edition of "Humans vs. Machines"

But first click all the boxes with pictures of bicycles so we can confirm you are human.

60665341-38340f00-9e32-11e9-8856-bba7af23c213.png

At least he didn't ask where he could get scrod.

It is not the typical airplane washer that dips in allowing the washer and screw head to be flat. (However, I would like to know what that is called)
I think those are Tinnerman washers.

Not so fast Skippy.
Are you sure you can change screws on your certificated bird?

I’ve spent years doing this, but people still tell me I have a screw loose.

Reading the thread title, my first thought was "Don't google it from a work computer".
Or one where your wife can see it. I was searching for a double action hinge so I can put in a saloon type door to the walk in closet. April saw "double action" in the search history and wondered what the hell I was looking up.

Or one where your wife can see it. I was searching for a double action hinge so I can put in a saloon type door to the walk in closet. April saw "double action" in the search history and wondered what the hell I was looking up.
Well, now that you know she understands…………

Alright alright.... FAR 43 appendix A

(9) Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wings tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.

(11) Repairing upholstery and decorative furnishings of the cabin, cockpit, or balloon basket interior when the repairing does not require disassembly of any primary structure or operating system or interfere with an operating system or affect the primary structure of the aircraft.

(15) Replacing seats or seat parts with replacement parts approved for the aircraft, not involving disassembly of any primary structure or operating system.

My Comanche's balloon basket is going to be beautiful

Do they make black versions? Might want to search for a black screw...

Bryan, let me help you with this:

Those washers will be found at any decent hardware store. I can get them in boxes of 100 for a few bucks. But they aren't certified, so they'll surely let your panels fall off.

Those washers will be found at any decent hardware store. I can get them in boxes of 100 for a few bucks. But they aren't certified, so they'll surely let your panels fall off.

There's a guy that hangers next to me that's always buying stuff in the aviation section of home depot. I still haven't found it but I'm going to keep looking.

Came here for the mom jokes for that title, was sadly disappointed. Don’t know Bryan, so not doing it myself.

My Comanche has a vast verity of screws holding the interior panels and plastics on and I want to clean it up.
There is a particular screw / "washer" combination I am looking for which I see on the planes that look great and win awards.

Its the ones where the washer sort of crowns up around the screw head almost creating a raised bed for the screw to set into.

I don't know what they are called so my Google is not working right. I would like to get rid of all of my interior screws and replace with them with those so they look better and are uniform.

Thx.

These are the screws.

Thx.
Hi,

A picture could be helpful :)

Tobias

Back