I must be cheating!

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
I'm working on a complex endorsement and also some instrument training and today was the first day that I got to use an autopilot. Granted the only mode that worked was the heading mode but I was really impressed!

I logged 0.9 instrument with George keeping me pointed in the right direction. I did have to fight the altitude with updrafts and downdrafts as we flew under some developing clouds so at least I did have to work somewhat.

I can't imagine how nice an AP that follows a flight plan and altitude would be, especially for IMC flights. After today I've added a functioning AP to my list of equipment for the plane that I purchase one day!

I flew in my A&P's plane a couple months ago. He has full two axis AP. It was amazing to watch it work. It even flew to a waypoint and turned onto the remaining course.

Last edited:
I also just got my complex in an arrow with AP and AH. Set em both then it's NAP TIME!!!!

I'm kidding, I mean, I didn't say it had an alarm clock!

You might be amazed at how much of a work reliever a simple wing lever can be.

Definitely nice. Learn to use it and use it, but don't become complacent on it either.

They are nice, but you can never be complacent with them, sometimes they decide to do their own thing.

I can't imagine how nice an AP that follows a flight plan and altitude would be, especially for IMC flights. After today I've added a functioning AP to my list of equipment for the plane that I purchase one day!

Go to Embry Riddle. They only do the mandatory 1 approach un coupled on the IFR ride. Its all auto there.

I'm working on a complex endorsement and also some instrument training and today was the first day that I got to use an autopilot. Granted the only mode that worked was the heading mode but I was really impressed!

I logged 0.9 instrument with George keeping me pointed in the right direction. I did have to fight the altitude with updrafts and downdrafts as we flew under some developing clouds so at least I did have to work somewhat.

George? Thought everyone called him Uncle Otto?

That's ok....the lady that calls out "minimums"...etc....I call Betty.

AP is nice....like others said.....always be on your toes. Yes it makes it nice....but as one instructor told me years ago.....it's like Granny driving, you never know when her dementia is going to flare up.;) Relax a little more...but not too much.:yes:

They are nice, but you can never be complacent with them, sometimes they decide to do their own thing.

Very true. Don't think for second it is doing what it should be.

I learned that during my IFR training in the 182. Flying along when my instructor asks "where the hell are you going?". I looked at him, puzzled. Autopilot engaged in NAV mode, Worked great for the previous 30 minutes following a pre-programmed route and holding altitude perfectly with no alerts, however at that moment I was about 45 deg off course in a very shallow left hand turn. Damn thing just decided on its own that it wanted to go somewhere other than what was programmed. Ended up being a loose wire in the autopilot harness. I keep a better eye on them now.

I love my 2 axis AP with GPSS. Enter a flight plan and it will fly you to the destination airport. I find that I still like to hand fly the plane most of the time, but it is nice to have especially on longer flights.

The autopilot on the Cirrus is very nice but I like to hand fly my approaches. Gives me a challenge:D

It's worse when pilots use them all the time and forget how to fly. I did a BFR for someone, PPL IR. Right after takeoff he threw on the AP. When we got to the practice area I had him shut it off. This guy could not hold within 30 degrees of heading and within 500 ft of altitude trying to fly a straight line. He stated that he never flies without the AP for the past 10 years. Amazingly his landings were real good.

It's worse when pilots use them all the time and forget how to fly. I did a BFR for someone, PPL IR. Right after takeoff he threw on the AP. When we got to the practice area I had him shut it off. This guy could not hold within 30 degrees of heading and within 500 ft of altitude trying to fly a straight line. He stated that he never flies without the AP for the past 10 years. Amazingly his landings were real good.

Wow, even if I had an autopilot I would still want to fly the plane. I enjoy taking the controls and maintaining heading and altitude. Especially for VFR flying. I have not been in IMC yet, but it seems like it would really reduce the workload in actual. I 100% agree with above comments that no one should be dependent on it and should monitor the AP.

Wow, even if I had an autopilot I would still want to fly the plane. I enjoy taking the controls and maintaining heading and altitude. Especially for VFR flying. I have not been in IMC yet, but it seems like it would really reduce the workload in actual. I 100% agree with above comments that no one should be dependent on it and should monitor the AP.
I did my IR in a 172 with no autopilot and have flown it in hard IFR. It really wasn't that bad without the AP. But like you said, it is nice to have and can really reduce the workload. That being said, I can still shoot an ILS down to minimums as good as the AP. It's important to keep your hand flying skills in order especially when you are flying IFR.

I used an autopilot for the first time last week also. Was great fun. My CFi still stressed he wanted me to hand fly the plane at times to maintain my skill level. He relayed a story about flying the Palatus he pilots for a charter company. He had a copilot, and needed to make a short jump from the home field to the pickup airport. He said it was about a 10 minute flight, to the point where the IFR instructions were leave starting airport and enter IFR approach for landing. He hand flew the flight, and the copilot was shocked he did not use the autopilot.

So I have never used or flown an airplane with autopilot. How do you turn it off?
I know you can push a button or flip a switch but will it turn off if I change the power setting or move the yoke?

The autopilot on the Cirrus is very nice but I like to hand fly my approaches. Gives me a challenge:D
Same here... at least if they're in IMC. If I'm visual I usually keep the A/P on until about a mile final.

So I have never used or flown an airplane with autopilot. How do you turn it off?
I know you can push a button or flip a switch but will it turn off if I change the power setting or move the yoke?

Most are not speed sensitive, so changing power will have no effect until you hit the out of trim limit if it doesn't have to trim. The thing to watch is that if you reduce power to below what is required to maintain altitude, the autopilot can fly you right into a stall.

Moving the yoke typically will not disconnect, you over ride the motors or clutches if you apply enough force.

Go to Embry Riddle. They only do the mandatory 1 approach un coupled on the IFR ride. Its all auto there.

Meh, that's unfortunate.

APs are great, we're AP in leiu of a SIC for 135 single pilot IFR.

There was a PC12 which broke up, AP disconnected (they'll do that) he kept fussin with the AP instead of flying the plane (even with a AP failure you still have the flight director), blew through VNE, all fatal.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20141127/newschief/141129350

IMG_Plane-Crash-Swamp_Ra_2_1_6C5AAAOJ-640x480.jpg

APs are a VERY nice tool, but be ready for it to check out, be ready to fly the plane.

Last edited:
Im just shy of 100 hrs and Ive never used the AP. 60 of those hours in a fully equipped Diamond DA40 with the G1000. I love flying the machine

edit: Im all VFR for now

Last edited:
Im just shy of 100 hrs and Ive never used the AP. 60 of those hours in a fully equipped Diamond DA40 with the G1000. I love flying the machine

edit: Im all VFR for now

I'm just shy of 1600 hrs and have never used one either. I just don't see the need in a relatively stable single engine. I flew a fair amount of instrument trips when I was still working...solo...3 to 4 hours...loved hand flying in the clouds.

Now, if I had something fast and slick and unstable then, sure, an AP might be nice to have and have it fly momentarily while I'm doing other things. But I fly to fly...not to be a passenger and watch George fly.

Most are not speed sensitive, so changing power will have no effect until you hit the out of trim limit if it doesn't have to trim. The thing to watch is that if you reduce power to below what is required to maintain altitude, the autopilot can fly you right into a stall.

Moving the yoke typically will not disconnect, you over ride the motors or clutches if you apply enough force.

Some autopilots have a manual disconnect on the yoke, otherwise you just toggle it off.

Plane I have use with AP has at least 3 ways to turn it of

1. An over ride switch on the side of the throttle. Intended to disengage if doing a glideslope landing.
2. A big red button on the left handhold of the yolk.
3. Reach down and hit off on the unit itself.

I was told there is a second button on the yolk marked cwi (sp?), that will also do it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Right, but you hit a switch for that to happen.

....and hope the switch works.
At annual with some avionics work being done I asked to have a pullable CB put on the AP as a safety measure, but was told I couldn't....not an approved mod for an AA5B.
Go figure.

....and hope the switch works.
At annual with some avionics work being done I asked to have a pullable CB put on the AP as a safety measure, but was told I couldn't....not an approved mod for an AA5B.
Go figure.

Here's something to try, some of the breakers you can't pull, pop when you push them in for a moment.

Here's something to try, some of the breakers you can't pull, pop when you push them in for a moment.

Didn't know that. Will give it a try.
Thanks.

Back