Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
petrolero
...my head hit the roof.

...my feet came off the rudders

...my children screamed

Your turn. :D

...I'm reminded that my wife has a phenomenal rack.

I got rolled into a knife edge and my tobacco spitter flew to the back of the plane.

It's not real turbulence until people are crying and praying.

Nick crushed my balls under his own weight

.....when I could not read the iPad or the 430 and the autopilot was ripping the yoke out of my hand. On the ground I located the Mod Turb airmet in which I had just bounced through and I was at least three pounds lighter then when the flight began.

Pilots were reporting extreme turbulence...

The line guy mentioned that he heard a "banging" noise when I was on final.

It was the elevator hitting the stops.

I hope not to thread hi-jack to much...I mean, with all the ball crushing going on and all.

I'm a new PPL in Sacramento. I've always flown in great weather. I've only experienced what I guess experienced pilots would call mild/no turbulence.

How to describe what the plane can handle? If I were to watch a video, it would be hard to tell since even smooth flights seem crazy turbulent due to the person bouncing around with their cell phone cameras. However, does anyone have any good youtube vids to check out that show this? Do thinks really become eye level as noted above?

I guess what I should say/ask...What is a good method to experience this? I was trying to get a CFI to go up to lake tahoe, but the weather never behaves on the weekends i'm free to go; maybe i'll experience some there.

The plane can handle more than your body so strap in and enjoy the ride.
As far as to where? I have heard Vegas is a great place to get knocked around.

I hope not to thread hi-jack to much...I mean, with all the ball crushing going on and all.

I'm a new PPL in Sacramento. I've always flown in great weather. I've only experienced what I guess experienced pilots would call mild/no turbulence.

How to describe what the plane can handle? If I were to watch a video, it would be hard to tell since even smooth flights seem crazy turbulent due to the person bouncing around with their cell phone cameras. However, does anyone have any good youtube vids to check out that show this? Do thinks really become eye level as noted above?

I guess what I should say/ask...What is a good method to experience this? I was trying to get a CFI to go up to lake tahoe, but the weather never behaves on the weekends i'm free to go; maybe i'll experience some there.

Fly around the mountains on a windy day - once your wings start rocking to about 45 degrees without input, you're experiencing "moderate" turbulence.

Once you have structural damage, you're experiencing "severe" turbulence.

I'd suggest making sure you understand the "official" FAA definitions in AIM Table 7-1-10 first. You can get banged around pretty good and still be within design limits of the airplane, but anything defined as "moderate" or greater is probably worth being at or below rough air speed as an internet-based suggestion.;)

Very true....when I am getting my cookies tossed, I will pull it back to 100kts or so from about 130. Seems to help me.

Fly around the mountains on a windy day - once your wings start rocking to about 45 degrees without input, you're experiencing "moderate" turbulence.

Once you have structural damage, you're experiencing "severe" turbulence.

You should see what most pilots consider "moderate" turbulence. :rolleyes:

When you hit the door frame hard enough to break the rim on your eyeglasses.

Nurse thought I stepped on them and was lying about it. My eye doctor walked out and without missing a beat said "I bet you hit something in turblance".

He is an ex Vietnam fighter pilot.

Last edited:
...I'm reminded that my wife has a phenomenal rack.

Pics or it's a lie. :D;)

Hitting the TX caprock SouthEast of Tulia coming from Houston can bust your bubble in summer. :eek:

I'll get low, slow, and cinched up and ride it out to Hereford. It's ugly. I warn people about it if they dare go with me. I try to avoid it and fly early-early in the morning in summer while the boomers are dead. :redface:

I have heard Vegas is a great place to get knocked around.
Not THAT kind of knocked around :D

For me, when the autopilot says "I give up" and kicks off about the same time my head hits the canopy (and I'm short).

When i thought, "this isnt a good time to give someone their first ride"

This is a nice example of getting thrown around.....http://youtu.be/REleen4buOQ

If your familar with DR training videos they are extremely well done and smooth. Just not this one...for obvious reasons.;)

My wife & the dog threw up!!! Not fun. And me telling her id seen worse didn't help...Go figure

The dust devils went above 10,000 msl and my head met the overhead (which never happens in the 'kota).

When my seat belt wasn't tight enough and I and all of my PAX slammed our heads into the ceiling damn near knocking me out and leaving me with a 2 day headache...

...oh wait, that was wake turbulence at 3500'.

After that now everything seems like "light chop"!

That's "knocked up...."

I experienced moderate once in Oakland Class C, over the bay, with wind 360@45. Came over the Hills and tossed us real bad. It was smooth as a baby's bottom when there wasn't terrain in the way. And it was much lighter at the surface.

The only other time was in Mammoth Pass with an unforecast 20 knot north wind. And that was short-lived.

I never got more than light turbulence at Tahoe.

Only if you keep it below Va, otherwise that is a deadly incorrect statement. The human body LD-50 for acceleration is 50g, the LD-100 is 100g. A doctor brutalized his body on a rocket sled to bring us these numbers, I bet he had a blast.:D He can laugh at carrier pilots catapults and traps.

Some dogs puke every time they eat something us humans would consider inedible.

Not according to the people who were giving him up, and he was fine the whole trip up to OSH from Atlanta, but as we were holding over the lake waiting for the cell to pass, we started getting seriously slammed, luckily I was holding below even my low weight Va but well above stall. I was contemplating bailing for a while, then we were stood on our ear with the nose pointed up zoom climb style, simultaneously the dog pukes and I say "f-it, head for the sun and clear skies" and broke off.

Originally Posted by SixPapaCharlie

Henning;1633712[B said:
]Only if you keep it below Va[/B], otherwise that is a deadly incorrect statement. The human body LD-50 for acceleration is 50g, the LD-100 is 100g. A doctor brutalized his body on a rocket sled to bring us these numbers, I bet he had a blast.:D He can laugh at carrier pilots catapults and traps.

Not true.....
The Airbus that broke apart in mid air ( lost the entire rudder / vertical stabilizer) over Long Island in 2001 was below VA.... and it still broke the airframe...:yes::yes::yes:...:sad::sad::sad:

Not true.....
The Airbus that broke apart in mid air ( lost the entire rudder / vertical stabilizer) over Long Island in 2001 was below VA.... and it still broke the airframe...:yes::yes::yes:...:sad::sad::sad:
Wasn't that due to pilot error and incorrect training?

Yep. Repeated full deflections. Still instructive as to the point that merely being slower than Va will not prevent airframe failure.

Not true.....

True, Va is a wing calculation, it may not be the only critical structure, however it didn't break because of turbulence, it broke because the pilot didn't understand the control system limitations and the different modes the computer processes commands. The pilot waggled the tail harder than it could take thinking the FBW box would limit the command, but he was in an operating regime where it didn't.

Have you ever seen a cockpit video of someone doing high performance flying in a FBW Airbus? They just slam the controls to the limit and the FBW does the best job of it, it's really impressive because they have some serious performance capabilities, the pilot just hit it a bit too hard, and the tail is attached by a Carbon Fiber section... well, you know the failure mode for CF, it doesn't bend, it doesn't crack, it explodes. I think FBW limiters should always be used in airliners with structural components of straight CF. I'm wondering why the aviation sector has not adopted mixed material weaves.:dunno: I have done a couple small projects with a 25%CF, 25% Kevlar, and 50% polypropylene. Really good properties nice stiffness, nice toughness, light weight, broader range of failur with non total options, and much more reasonably priced. The weaves even look cool if you want to leave a brightwork finish.

One of the little sail boats is 3 years old now and I hear is doing fine and racing well for the gal. I did use a titanium white linear poly on it though, the UV factor was more than I wanted to risk, but it would have looked hot as hell if I hadn't painted it. There are UV filters in a clear form, but they do not work near as well, and polypro and UV don't get along well.

Last edited:

Correct, he left training not understanding that the control limiter turns off in certain profiles. I couldn't see in the video of how the guy worked the rudders, but from seeing how he worked the stick, common procedure to use rudder in the protected regimes you hit full input one way to start the process and the plane applies the best process, smack down full the other way to start the return process. It's an interesting way to operate, pretty cool, the finesse must be completely different I bet. The only thing close to FBW I've operated is a little drone and it took some getting used to the different logic, but once you do, it makes things really simple so you can focus more on other things. Modern fighters have some really neat logic circuits.

However, if you try to operate an electro mechanical, high power, control system think you have FBW Limiters when you actually have direct proportional control inputs, you will break the plane.

Back