I knew I should have waited....sigh

I forget... did you have th eoil door open on your check ride?

You know.....I could learn some humility like I used to have here.....

Humility is overrated.

And I can't believe we both used the term "license".

What a buncha dumbasses we were.

Congrats on passing your PPL with those kind of conditions. 160@16 gusting 27 can be nerve wracking even when you don't have someone sitting next to you critiquing you.

Congrats on passing your PPL with those kind of conditions. 160@16 gusting 27 can be nerve wracking even when you don't have someone sitting next to you critiquing you.

Shoot, that's calm winds around here! :rofl: It does get your attention though. ;)

I'm still here though,

I'll tell Grandpa HI for sure Bruce.

Best,

He really got me with "If you have a 15 knot crosswind, would you rather have it from the left side or the right side?"

Didn't know the answer to that one.

Not the greatest question….what he's getting at is that a tailwind on base requires extra diligence not to overshoot and skid the base-to-final turn. Frankly, there are bigger concerns unless it's a BIG crosswind, as it's not hard to widen the downwind a bit.

Obviously your answer or lack thereof was good enough.

Congratulations.

How did you bust the short field? Too short?

Not the greatest question….what he's getting at is that a tailwind on base requires extra diligence not to overshoot and skid the base-to-final turn. Frankly, there are bigger concerns unless it's a BIG crosswind, as it's not hard to widen the downwind a bit.

Obviously your answer or lack thereof was good enough.

Congratulations.

How did you bust the short field? Too short?

I see that you, too, got suckered in to the 9 year old thread ;-). Still a gripping story....

My thought on the x-wind from right vs. left was right rudder... I thought you'd rather have it from the right so you'll have an easier time in case of a go around...?? Am I way off on that?

[clicks mic: mcukier is student pilot]

Yeah, I missed the date. Mea culpa.

As long as you don't run out of rudder travel (that ain't happening in a 15 knot crosswind), it doesn't matter. You can let the airplane crab as soon as the descent is arrested and you know you're not going to touch down.

"If you have a 15 knot crosswind, would you rather have it from the left side or the right side?"

Didn't know the answer to that one.

So what is the right answer? I am more comfortable with a crosswind from the left… it just feels easier to deal with, but I've never heard a definitive statement on this.

Does anyone here prefer it from the right?

So what is the right answer? I am more comfortable with a crosswind from the left… it just feels easier to deal with, but I've never heard a definitive statement on this.

Does anyone here prefer it from the right?

IMO, you're much more susceptible to overshooting base to final with a tailwind on base.

So, it depends on whether you're flying right or left traffic.

For left traffic, you want a crosswind from the right.

I wasn't really considering the patter, just the very short final and landing with a crosswind. From the left has always seemed more comfortable. At an uncontrolled field with nobody around and a 90° crosswind, I'd choose to land with it coming from the left, everything else being equal.

I'm not sure there is a correct answer to the question. For me personally, I would rather a steady wind than gusty. I would rather a headwind on downwind, a headwind on base, and a headwind of final. It's some pretty screwy weather to get that and you usually have lots of heavy gusts.
So a headwind on base would be my ideal crosswind. Left or right on final doesn't bother me.
On takeoff, I think a left cross might be better.

Back