I kinda wimped out

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
had my 3rd lesson yesterday evening (after 6 days off) and initially ran thru the 4 basic maneuvers and felt like I took a huge step back. then we did slow flight, a lot of thoughts going thru my head but I think I did pretty well. then it was time for a steep turn, and I asked that we skip that as at that moment I didn't feel like I could focus 100% of my attention on that task (along with the G load feeling you get). I think I made the right decision, but I'm a little disappointed. oh well, I'll do it next time.

I DID get to take off from KEQY, I mean throttle, rudder, rotate.....and think I did a great job and it was fargin awesome!!!

"Wimping out" is not the right term. Decision-making is very important in flying, and you made a decision that you weren't up to doing a particular task at that particular time. Good job! I once made the mistake of not admitting to my CFI that I didn't feel well after doing steep turns and power-on stalls (those are particularly weird in the plane I'm flying). I didn't want to appear to be a wimp. The rest of the lesson went to hell, while I tried to navigate my way back to the home airport while pretending to be fine, when I wasn't. I screwed up big-time.

You made the right call I think. Your CFI's job is to push you to the limits of your capabilities but not necessarily over them. Never attempt a maneuver that your not comfortable performing at that time unless you absolutely have to, which is almost never.

Part of being pilot in command is assessing ALL the conditions that have a bearing on the flight, including your state of mind and physical condition. You made the right decision. It may have seemed to you that you "wimped out" but what you really did was lay the groundwork for a lifetime of good decisions.
Many years ago when I had a real job I was filling in for another guy and we were on a trip to pick up some folks who were having a bad day. I was at the time a fairly high ranking officer and flying with a brand new fresh from flight school pilot. My position was called Aircraft Commander, I was in charge of the mission, but his job was to fly. When we got to the scene the situation was challenging to say the least, and the young pilot made two attempts to position the helicopter but was never satisfied with the safety margins. He asked me for advice and help, saying he wasn't comfortable with the situation. We worked out a solution and brought everyone home. At the post flight de-brief he was very down on himself and apologetic. I told him he had performed perfectly, utilized the available assets and concluded the mission safely and successfully. On the evaluation form I was responsible for filling out as part of his evaluation as a new pilot I gave him the highest marks possible. You made the right call.

You did the right thing. There will be days when it just doesn't feel right. The fact that you took action rather than go through the motions tells me you will make a good pilot. Listen to your inner aviator. :lol: Good call.

Last edited:
Right on, you're thinking about things and making decissions - and juust like others said, you're making decissions while in flight and that is is key to learning right. Good job!

During training i had "issues" with slow flight and stalls.

The first time my intructor showed me slow flight i thaught it was totally "unnatural" for a plane to be on the "edge" of level flight and "dropping out of the sky". But then, after understanting that every landing at some point is a slow flight and that there was a good reason for slow flight, i was okay with the nose-high, lots of drag and stall horn blowing.

The first time my instructor showed me stalls, i was once again thinking "why the heck would i do that to a plane?" Now I know: to please to the DPE ;) (JK). The first time i did a stall i was so determined to make sure that i would "unstall" the plane that i shoved the yoke full forward . . . and held it there LOL. Yeah, that woke my instrctor up afterr we had a nearly perpendicular view of the earth (lake, actually) below and airspeed was winding way up.

Anyways, am writing these stories to share that I had some issues during training with certain maneuvers, and it is not out of the ordinary. And with time you understand their purpose, get used to the feeling and know how to predict and handle them if/when they creep up on you.

So enjoy and make the most of it; what you learn now will help you stay out of trouble when you'll be flying pilot in command ;)

Everyone has a bad day once in a while. You didn't wimp out. You chose to fly on a better day.

What time did you land at EQY? I took off around 7:45 for a cross country.

Steep turns aren't going anywhere.. (well, literally) You'll get plenty other opportunities. No wimps present here

What time did you land at EQY? I took off around 7:45 for a cross country.

probably around 7ish if I had to guess. we waiting for one redish and white cessna to land, then took off.

Steep turns were and still are my favorite maneuver to fly. I love the G force feeling, although it's not much. I also love the feeling of turning out of the steep turn and noticing how little altitude I've gained or lossed.

You may very well have made the right call. Learning all those maneuvers is overwhelming for us all. Maybe next time ask to start with steep turns so you can be fresh. I think they are a lot of fun, much more fun than slow flight or stalls!

You had a good reason. The first time my instructor asked me if I wanted to do a stall I said no, I didn't want to and it was because I was scared. She made me do it anyway. For me, that was what I needed to get over my fear (well, I'm still working on 100%) but if you felt you couldn't focus 100% that's legit. I did some more steep turns today and was feeling the G force more than the last time, if I had to do more than 2 I would have had to say no.

Steep turns were and still are my favorite maneuver to fly. I love the G force feeling, although it's not much. I also love the feeling of turning out of the steep turn and noticing how little altitude I've gained or losed.

Dude, you are a prime candidate for some sport aerobatics! Get some training and have a ball. If you like G forces you'll love acro! :yes:

Dude, you are a prime candidate for some sport aerobatics! Get some training and have a ball. If you like G forces you'll love acro! :yes:

Thanks. I'm a pretty conservative guy honestly and the idea of purposely spinning, flipping, looping and flying an airplane upside down gets me nervous. Maybe one day though! :)

The G Force of a steep turn is just enough to make me feel alive. That's why I like it!

We all "whimp out" you will read about attitudes macho"" and invulnerability it's true you need to do what's right for you.

Thanks. I'm a pretty conservative guy honestly and the idea of purposely spinning, flipping, looping and flying an airplane upside down gets me nervous. Maybe one day though! :)

The G Force of a steep turn is just enough to make me feel alive. That's why I like it!

It's a rush! Done right is very safe! Make it an aviation goal for "someday" , but you'll love it!

Maybe I read it wrong but it sounded like it was your 3rd lesson and you took off for the first time by yourself.

If that's true what was your CFI doing the first two? The entire takeoff? I always let my students take off by themselves the first takeoff on the fist day. What are you other CFIs doing out there?

Not saying there's anything wrong with your CFI, just seemed odd.

Time for your CFI to modify his playbook.
We he I, I would have you start doing 720's at standard rate (two minute turn).
Once you can do them and hold altitude we would increase the rate of turn a bit and work on altitude control again.
Then we would go down low and do some turns around a point so you can work on your rudder skills.
Finally we would go back up and do some 45 degree bank turns.
By that time you would be chewing gum, talking, and sightseeing, all while holding a 45 degree bank 720.
FInally we would get into steep turns and you would be bored with doing them.
There is nothing like familiarity (and a bit of experience).

Maybe I read it wrong but it sounded like it was your 3rd lesson and you took off for the first time by yourself.

If that's true what was your CFI doing the first two? The entire takeoff? I always let my students take off by themselves the first takeoff on the fist day. What are you other CFIs doing out there?

Not saying there's anything wrong with your CFI, just seemed odd.

yes, 3rd lesson, first takeoff. I may change my mind down the road, but I can't imaging a CFI letting a first time flyer takeoff on the first lesson, that actually boggles my mind. "ride along on the controls", yes, but actually do it, I don't think that's fair OR safe, but that's just me.

The first time i did a stall i was so determined to make sure that i would "unstall" the plane that i shoved the yoke full forward . . . and held it there LOL. Yeah, that woke my instrctor up afterr we had a nearly perpendicular view of the earth (lake, actually) below and airspeed was winding way up.

whew, for a minute there, I thought I was the only one that did that as a student (twice:hairraise:) :rofl:.

May ,1998 first flight lesson. 23 year old CFI had me doing slow flight and stalls! The view of mother earth from a 90 degree nose down attitude, scared the living crap out of me! I'll never forget these words..."MY AIRPLANE!!!"

Seriously thought about quitting after that. I'm so glad I didn't.

yes, 3rd lesson, first takeoff. I may change my mind down the road, but I can't imaging a CFI letting a first time flyer takeoff on the first lesson, that actually boggles my mind. "ride along on the controls", yes, but actually do it, I don't think that's fair OR safe, but that's just me.

Every single student of mine did it with no problem. Not riding the controls...they did it.

Not Fair? They're not being graded. How's it not fair?
Not Safe? I'm right there with a zero hour student. Truth be told I had to make very few corrections over the years.

I always liked watching the students excitements of the firsts. First takeoff, first landing, first multi, first IMC. Always wish I could see the first solo but we didn't have cameras back then.

Anyway, on point...no reason not to let a first time flier take off by themselves that I can think of. Taking off is easy, anyone can do it. Landings didn't happen by themselves until lesson 3 or 4.

My first lesson back after about a year hiatus we were doing steep turns and stalls and I told my instructor I needed to put my feet on the ground, LOL. I've never been car sick, sea sick or any other kind of motion sick but boy did my stomach start moving up my throat with that run. There was a class G nearby and swung into the FBO and had a cup of water and shot the breeze for a few minutes, then went back up and finished the lesson. By making a decision to not push yourself past your limits you did well, smart driving!

I'll share a story after making a bad decision:

I knew I was getting close to my first solo, and we were really working hard on pattern work. I had enjoyed a few too many adult beverages the evening before and was fairly hungover. I decided to go to my lesson anyway thinking that the adrenaline would wake me up - bad idea. I couldn't do anything correctly. The control I exhibited over the plane the day before was all gone. My instructor was so frustrated with me, he terminated the lesson early. I should have just postponed.

Now I will won't fly if I have to question my physical state (and never again hungover). There is nothing wrong with staying on the ground (or in your case, telling your instructor you're not up for it) <- That's what I should have done.

I'll share a story after making a bad decision:

I knew I was getting close to my first solo, and we were really working hard on pattern work. I had enjoyed a few too many adult beverages the evening before and was fairly hungover. I decided to go to my lesson anyway thinking that the adrenaline would wake me up - bad idea. I couldn't do anything correctly. The control I exhibited over the plane the day before was all gone. My instructor was so frustrated with me, he terminated the lesson early. I should have just postponed.

Now I will won't fly if I have to question my physical state (and never again hungover). There is nothing wrong with staying on the ground (or in your case, telling your instructor you're not up for it) <- That's what I should have done.

I think the statute of limitations has been met on this one, so I will doghump onto this. Was a commercial student, I guess like 10 years ago or something, and also in college. Did the same thing, but it was myself and another student doing kind of a 2 way round robin solo. All I remember is that this guy, an older former Army guy, insisted on flying the entire route at like 1500' in the middle of summer and all the associated thermals. Not sure if we crossed the Cascades, but I think we might have. It was hell. Closest I have ever come to vomiting in an airplane. By the time it came to my return leg, I just climbed us to like 8000 ft and wanted to fall asleep. Last time I ever went hard the night before flying. Not worth it in any way.

It is okay to call "Knock it off". When I first did my primary training (23 years ago), there were times when I just didn't want to do something. Like was said, it didn't feel natural. It didn't feel right.
During most of my recent helicopter training, my well quoted phrase was/is "Easy for you to say!". I even had shirts made for my instructors. My meaning is simple. They teach this all the time. It's brand new to me. And if I don't want to do it, I won't.
You're the customer. You get to exercise control over your training. Just know, these are things you will need to master eventually. It will just take time to learn the new environment you are working in and get to trust your skill, his skill, and the plane won't kill you.

I did it :dunno:

Originally Posted by eman1200

I did it :dunno:

I'm not questioning someone doing this, I think it's awesome that you or anyone performed the take off on the first lesson. I'm trying to say that it would have been more for a perma-smile on my face than actually LEARNING how to takeoff, to actually RETAIN what it takes to takeoff. that's all.

I'm not questioning someone doing this, I think it's awesome that you or anyone performed the take off on the first lesson. I'm trying to say that it would have been more for a perma-smile on my face than actually LEARNING how to takeoff, to actually RETAIN what it takes to takeoff. that's all.

I taxied (zizzagged a little) and took off on my first lesson. The takeoff was ok and safe, although I'm sure he helped with right rudder.

On my first tailwheel takeoff (several years later), the instructor had me concentrate of raising the tail and rotating while he worked the rudders. Next time we did the high speed taxi drill on the runway, as I got a feel for the rudders and practiced keeping a straight ground roll.

You don't teach a dog one trick to learn another. You just repeat until they get it. :)

Back