I just witnessed a man killed by SWAT

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
It happened about 200 feet from my bedroom window. I guess it was a domestic situation. I saw the Ohio Highway Patrol and Sheriff deputies walk by my living room window at around 5:00pm and around 6:30pm, I was looking at the guy and saw two SWAT vehicles pull up quickly. Next thing I was hearing "drop the gun, drop the gun!" and they unloaded on the guy. The parking lot is taped off and the SWAT vehicles are still here. I am pretty shook up right now. I did not expect to witness this. I can't leave here right now to get away. Watching tv now.

They gave him plenty of time while they negotiated with him. I heard him say he wanted them shoot him many times and that he did nothing wrong.

Sorry you had to go through that.

Years ago I was doing an asbuilt survey of some low income housing we designed. I had my plans spread on the hood of the truck and a gentleman walked up to us in plain clothes. He introduced himself as an undercover cop and asked if he could stand there and pretend to look at our plans. He saw we even had walkie talkies and was thrilled that he didn't have to hide his police radio.

He told us that very soon an armored personnel carrier was going to roll in and we needed to find cover as soon as it came in sight. We ended up meeting the APC a few miles from the site after we finished our work and left. We didn't have to witness the shootout.

Apparently the guy was a nut that built bombs. At the time, I was kinda disappointed, I was in my early twenties and bulletproof and wanted to see it. Now, I'm thankful I didn't.

ASHVILLE, Ohio – Pickaway County sheriff’s deputies are on the scene of a barricade situation on Long Street in Ashville. They are being assisted by the Franklin County SWAT team along with other agencies. Officials say one person is barricaded in a vehicle and a weapon has been seen.
Law enforcement officers are attempting to resolve the situation.
----------------------------
Sounds like they resolved it alright. Sorry about that. :-(

Unfortunately, things like this can happen any place, any time. Life can throw some pretty tragic events into our lives. Sorry you had to witness it. Suicide by cop happens too frequently.

If it's any consolation, it's harder on the guy that pulled the trigger.
I am sure you are right. It looked like 4 guys and sounded like it. I feel like I have a slight and I mean slight idea what war is like. I am thankful I was on an aircraft carrier when @#$% hit the fan and not in the thick of it.

Was staying in Hawaii years ago... couldn't sleep, looked out the balcony window and saw a young man sitting on the edge of the roof next door (very close to me) with his legs dangling over... I called the front desk, to call the police. Sure enough, it was a suicide in progress. The people (officials) talked him down. Took two hours. The kid looked at me... I quickly looked away, I didn't want to develop a relationship that could hurt the situation. Scary when certain humans put themselves in life and death situations. I think about that night often.

Follow through with your plan to go talk to someone at the VA ..my thoughts and prayers for some peace for you tonight...sometimes the innocent bystander is overlooked when violence happens so close.

I am sure you are right. It looked like 4 guys and sounded like it. I feel like I have a slight and I mean slight idea what war is like. I am thankful I was on an aircraft carrier when @#$% hit the fan and not in the thick of it.

I kind of have a little more concrete idea of what war is like. But honestly, having someone get whacked in front of my own home would get to me more.

If that one incident bothers you that much, consider what the cops have to deal with every single day. Dude made his choice. Dude had to deal with the consequences.

Now imagine what our war fighters have to deal with. One guy with a gun? Pssssh. How about 30 with Kalishnikovs and the will to die. Throw in a couple projos buried in the street or a pregnant lady with 30 lbs of TATP strapped to her.

My point? No point. Just perspective I suppose.

If that one incident bothers you that much, consider what the cops have to deal with every single day. Dude made his choice. Dude had to deal with the consequences.

Now imagine what our war fighters have to deal with. One guy with a gun? Pssssh. How about 30 with Kalishnikovs and the will to die. Throw in a couple projos buried in the street or a pregnant lady with 30 lbs of TATP strapped to her.

My point? No point. Just perspective I suppose.
I know I am fortunate I have never had to deal with that level of violence. Maybe I just want to see the good in Humanity when there is so much bad.

A couple years ago a buddy I work with woke up in the middle of the night. He went into his front yard and found a car wrapped around his tree. He got a flashlight to look inside, but the car was empty. He called 911 and waited on the front porch. Turns out he didn't see the driver because his body was wedged under the dash. 17 yo kid from a few houses down.

Sometimes stuff just happens.

I know I am fortunate I have never had to deal with that level of violence. Maybe I just want to see the good in Humanity when there is so much bad.

Well, at least the good guy(s) did make it. It's a whole lot better situation than if the gunman had his way. Sometimes, violence in itself is humanity. At least that is how I have justified it to myself.

The eager to criticize public is blissfully ignorant of what cops experience and endure.

I saw something similar when I was in middle school, right up close. It was hard to process so it didn’t mess with me much, but I never forgot it.

We are animals. Animals fight by nature. we are a higher thinking animal, but those primal instincts are still present. While we try to justify NOT fighting or killing, natural instincts are more powerful than logical thinking when the primordial aspect kicks in. It boils down to a survival of the fittest issue.

A couple years ago a buddy I work with woke up in the middle of the night. He went into his front yard and found a car wrapped around his tree. He got a flashlight to look inside, but the car was empty. He called 911 and waited on the front porch. Turns out he didn't see the driver because his body was wedged under the dash. 17 yo kid from a few houses down.

Sometimes stuff just happens.

5 girls ages 15-16 just got in a horrible crash here, the lone ejected survivor is in the burn unit. I think the 4 burned to death trapped in the car.

5 girls ages 15-16 just got in a horrible crash here, the lone ejected survivor is in the burn unit. I think the 4 burned to death trapped in the car.
Similar thing here. About 2 weeks before my daughter graduated HS 3 (? pretty sure it was 3) kids in her class were in an accident. 2 seniors (maybe 3) and one kid that had graduated the previous year hit a tree in someone’s front yard. The homeowner was able to pull the older kid out but the fire was too intense to get the others. He could only stand back and watch. The homeowner ended up with 3rd degree burns on both arms, but I think he was bothered most by not being able to do more.

The parents of one of the kids spoke to my daughter’s class about making good decisions.

Back