I hope it is Insured. !

All these are reasons why I never, and I mean NEVER use UPS anymore.

I was using them regularly, albeit not often, for business. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I took three HP servers (DL360 G5) in to the local UPS store and asked if they could professionally pack and ship these. "Oh yeah, we do it all the time" I was told. I asked the guy to spare no expense in their packaging- that my job depended on their successful delivery. I bought the insurance.

Disaster. The units arrived, badly damaged. They were protruding from the shipping box, and there was lots of twisted metal and broken bits. UPS denied the insurance claim. I was prepared to go to the mat with these guys, and did so for about a month. They finally wrote a check for the full insured value.

And I've never used UPS since.

Their "insurance" seems to be a profit center for UPS. I've since heard many stories of "But I bought the insurance" and these poor customers are denied any compensation for various reasons- none of which are their fault. WTF???!!!

This is a policy issue with UPS, not a personnel issue. Any carrier can have a problem. But this was obscene. I share this story because of the complete disgust I now have for UPS, and hope that, through loss of revenue, UPS corrects their methods.

/rant.

Peter

I was using them regularly, albeit not often, for business. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I took three HP servers (DL360 G5) in to the local UPS store and asked if they could professionally pack and ship these. "Oh yeah, we do it all the time" I was told. I asked the guy to spare no expense in their packaging- that my job depended on their successful delivery. I bought the insurance.

Disaster. The units arrived, badly damaged. They were protruding from the shipping box, and there was lots of twisted metal and broken bits. UPS denied the insurance claim. I was prepared to go to the mat with these guys, and did so for about a month. They finally wrote a check for the full insured value.

Their "insurance" seems to be a profit center for UPS. I've since heard many stories of "But I bought the insurance" and these poor customers are denied any compensation for various reasons- none of which are their fault. WTF???!!!

This is a policy issue with UPS, not a personnel issue. Any carrier can have a problem. But this was obscene. I share this story because of the complete disgust I now have for UPS, and hope that, through loss of revenue, UPS corrects their methods.

/rant.

Peter
For small packages I have started to use the post office again. I had to ship a small business package to China and they were half the price of either UPS or FedEx. But for packages coming from China FedEx is a fraction of going to China? And how does Ali Baba ship stuff so cheap to us in America?

/rant.

Peter
I don't understand your beef. Not sure what else they could possibly have done to make you happy. Expecting to never have a package damaged is unrealistic and if you actually expected that you'd not have purchased the insurance.

I don't understand your beef. Not sure what else they could possibly have done to make you happy. Expecting to never have a package damaged is unrealistic and if you actually expected that you'd not have purchased the insurance.

I suspect the customer service afterwards where they initially denied his claim, and he had to work on them for a month to get his money made him more unhappy. The stories from others confirmed his feelings about UPS. I suspect he would have been less unhappy if they just gave him his insurance claim in a timely fashion.

/rant.

Peter

I wasn't clear on the bit about "UPS denied the claim." I should have added, they vehemently denied the claim, and refused to pay the insured amount. It took a month with lots of phone calls, research, pictures sent, etc. before they finally wrote a check.

What is the point of insurance??? While I was on the mat with UPS, my research found that, apparently, it is UPS's standard policy to never pay an insurance claim. This is anecdotal, but you can find lots of cases where they just don't pay.

Interestingly, when they did write the check, it was from the store owner, who wrote it out right in front of me- it didn't come from UPS corporate or some outside insurance company. Seemed strange.

Believe me when I say, if you were treated as I was, you would take your business elsewhere.

I had a similar experience with UPS "insurance". Item arrived CLEARLY well packed but still damaged by excessively rough handling. The box was crushed and had a hole in the side. I filed a claim -- they denied it, saying they would only pay the shipper. Then they told him it wasn't properly packed, with their only reasoning being that it arrived damaged. Two months of constant effort just to get them to pay for the damage they did, because they made every possible effort to evade their responsibility.

I've had really good luck with USPS. I shipped thousands of small packages via USPS First Class and Priority Mail over the past several years. They lost maybe one or two. Another dozen or less were delayed by more than a couple of days. The vast majority were delivered well ahead of the promised delivery date. I didn't bother with Priority Mail most of the time, because First Class almost always got to the destination in 2-3 days.

I don't object to UPS shipping, but I know it will be slow and expensive, and they don't deliver ground packages on Saturdays. Whenever possible, I have shippers use Priority Mail.

/rant.

Peter

Huh?

The dude just made like 10 grand off UPS, seems like a score to me.

Some people trust the regular mail. :D

When the 631 gram (1.4lb) Cullinan diamond was shipped from South Africa to the UK in 1905, it went via registered post.

Similarly, when New York City jeweler Harry Winston donated the Hope Diamond to the Smithsonian Institution, it was sent via the US Mail.

So they find this engine yet, Tom?

Here it is, I had to go look.

xx.gif

Re: Possibly stolen engine
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »

They found it! It was delivered today, just two weeks late.

Roy

When the 631 gram (1.4lb) Cullinan diamond was shipped from South Africa to the UK in 1905, it went via registered post.

Similarly, when New York City jeweler Harry Winston donated the Hope Diamond to the Smithsonian Institution, it was sent via the US Mail.
The diamond engagement ring I bought my wife was shipped FedEx.

Makes a sort of sense, you get the upgraded insurance and tracking and everything and they put a bunch of stickers all over the box that might as well say "valuable stuff inside".

Don't know what UPS' limits are, but we crated 7' high data center rack cabinets with all the gear already mounted in them and managed to meet FedEx's rules by about 3/4"... and they had to remain upright during transport. (We put those indicators inside for G-shock and tipping, too... they kept them upright and treated them well...)
Could you specify the g loading and tipping monitors you used? I could use those, thanks!

Back