I have had it with business trips!

1st class,, business class is roughing it. BUT I am going coach to Europe in a couple of weeks.

Wow! We have to argue to get larger than a compact rental car. Air travel has to be coach.

What I wanna know is when you find time to file all of the travel expenses. Even with an online system and a company card, it's such a PIA I vowed to never have an expense for anything.

One row over from me today (Denver to Dulles) was a O-6 sub driver in undress whites, had to fly coach with us unwashed masses all the way from Hawaii to DC. Talk about no respect! :rolleyes:

Oh, and greetings everyone from Shepherdstown, WV. I like my business trips - granted, I don't travel as much as any of you.

Wow CCIR, you are dating yourself with that! I have not seen that term in many a year.

Yeah, I know, but sometimes old terms still stick. I still can't bring my self to say "Ronald Reagan National Airport"... It'll always be just "National Airport" to me.

Air travel has to be coach.

If you're still working for who I think you work for, I know for a fact that the corporate folks have a really nice Falcon jet, kept in San Antonio....

Yeah, I know, but sometimes old terms still stick. I still can't bring my self to say "Ronald Reagan National Airport"... It'll always be just "National Airport" to me.

If you're still working for who I think you work for, I know for a fact that the corporate folks have a really nice Falcon jet, kept in San Antonio....

Before the merger we had 2 Canadair Challengers and 2 Sikorskis at Midway. Ya know, can't have the boss take commercial just because one is in maintenance. They musta sold the old air force.

I visited to work in the hangar. I did tell the Chief pilot I was taking flying lessons. In my way, "I'm learning to do your job. Can you learn mine?" :D

And when they had a "no travel on private aircraft" policy, I wanted them to tell the CEO.

Before the merger we had 2 Canadair Challengers and 2 Sikorskis at Midway. Ya know, can't have the boss take commercial just because one is in maintenance. They musta sold the old air force.

I visited to work in the hangar. I did tell the Chief pilot I was taking flying lessons. In my way, "I'm learning to do your job. Can you learn mine?" :D

And when they had a "no travel on private aircraft" policy, I wanted them to tell the CEO.

There were at least two Falcons at SAT. I rode to Atlanta in one of them. The Atlanta company had not only a couple of jets, they had an airline configured Embraer prop jet that seated quite a number. They used that for employee transport (shuttle) service.

Wow! We have to argue to get larger than a compact rental car. Air travel has to be coach.

What I wanna know is when you find time to file all of the travel expenses. Even with an online system and a company card, it's such a PIA I vowed to never have an expense for anything.

I rant about this once a week. I've burned through $45k since May on my corp card on travel. Q#$@#$@# expense reporting rules.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I rant about this once a week. I've burned through $45k since May on my corp card on travel. Q#$@#$@# expense reporting rules.

Cheers,

-Andrew

And my boss complains about the $20,000 to $22,000 I go through each year. You make me look cheap. :D

At least our reporting system is on-line. Wait until all the charges on the Amex card are posted on the system, click, click, click, fill in a few blanks and presto - it's ready to submit. Click a button and it's sent to the boss for his blessing. Print a copy for me and one for the bean counters, attach the required receipts (very few these days) and send that in interoffice mail to an obscure place in Utah. Reimbursement shows up in my checking account in a few weeks. Really simple.

And my boss complains about the $20,000 to $22,000 I go through each year. You make me look cheap. :D

At least our reporting system is on-line. Wait until all the charges on the Amex card are posted on the system, click, click, click, fill in a few blanks and presto - it's ready to submit. Click a button and it's sent to the boss for his blessing. Print a copy for me and one for the bean counters, attach the required receipts (very few these days) and send that in interoffice mail to an obscure place in Utah. Reimbursement shows up in my checking account in a few weeks. Really simple.

Ours is the same way. All charges show up on our on-line system and all we have to do is apply them to the right account and press submit. Receipts go into some black hole and I get a direct deposit in about a week.This sure beats the heck out of doing hand written paper expense reports like we did in the late 80's!

For ours, I have to document every receipt, down to anything greater than $5 (completely asinine).

The biggest part is itemization of hotel receipts. Our tool isn't the best, so I have to manually do every line item on the receipt - which can take 20 minutes for the longest receipts.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to document the receipts. AMEX sends them a full itemization of EVERY SINGLE CHARGE, digitally, with a location and a vendor code. An IRS vendor code, no less.

Why do they need the damn paper?!

Cheers,

-Andrew

They reduced our recently from $25 to $10. Conservation of stupidity I guess.

Ours is $25, and then only for certain items. Trip to Denver a couple weeks ago I needed the receipt for the airline tickets and the hotel. Rental car receipt was not needed (and it was well over $25). I do have to itemize the hotel receipt, right down to the taxes. Didn't need the receipts for the meals that were over $25 as I charged them on the Amex card, so they were picked up by the system.

Strange. Especially since, IIRC, the IRS only wants receipts for $75 and over. Bean counters. Much as we pick on lawyers here, bean counters are worse. All they do is create work for others. :D

Y'all need to work for a small firm with admins that can do that stuff for you.... ;)

Y'all need to work for a small firm with admins that can do that stuff for you.... ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I worked for a small company once and the admins were even more useless than the few we have in a bog company. They felt they were the ones running the place. One tried to have all the engineers do time cards. That lasted two months when we all decided that we were able to work less for more pay that way. Instead of 10 hour days and 8 hours of wages we worked 7.5 hour days for 8 hours of wages. Gotta love the DoL work standards! They helped keep stupid rules out of the work place.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I worked for a small company once and the admins were even more useless than the few we have in a bog company. They felt they were the ones running the place. One tried to have all the engineers do time cards. That lasted two months when we all decided that we were able to work less for more pay that way. Instead of 10 hour days and 8 hours of wages we worked 7.5 hour days for 8 hours of wages. Gotta love the DoL work standards! They helped keep stupid rules out of the work place.

Hmmm... I've never had a problem with admins at large or small companies. When I worked at the Borg, I'd drop a pile of reciepts from 2 weeks of international travel on my admin and she'd get to do the conversions and put the paperwork together.

As for the small firm, you just have to hire good folks.... :rolleyes:

Hmmm... I've never had a problem with admins at large or small companies. When I worked at the Borg, I'd drop a pile of reciepts from 2 weeks of international travel on my admin and she'd get to do the conversions and put the paperwork together.

As for the small firm, you just have to hire good folks.... :rolleyes:

We went through a "services reconciliation" in an attempt to cut budgets. Cut 20 headcount from the admin corps, so just the C's get them now.

Big bummer :(

-Andrew

Back