I have had it with business trips!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
After the disaster of my trip to Madrid in June I was looking forward to a little trip to Tokyo. Well on the the flight over I sprained my ankle tripping in the aisle. Then I checked the WX for the week here and it said rain on Weather.com. What it did not say is that it is rain because a typhoon is about to hit here. BTW just as I am supposed to fly home, so who knows when I will get home. I have had it. Anyone know of a good standards job where I don't have to travel anymore?

Not off the top of my head, but if you send me a resume I can look around. You want to stay in Chicago though right?

Not off the top of my head, but if you send me a resume I can look around. You want to stay in Chicago though right?
No ties to Chicago at all. I have wanted to get out of that place for over 15 years. I had two job offers from places in Atlanta that I almost took and one in Mississippi.

Weird. I am watching CNN here in Japan at 4am. They all of a sudden decided to interupt the English addition of CNN to start broadcasting CNN en Espanol. I guess I did not realize there were that many Spanish speakers in Tokyo.

smigaldi;218803I had two job offers from places in Atlanta that I almost took and one in Mississippi.[/quote said:
C'mon down to Atlanta. My next door neighbors are from Chicago!
We'd be proud to call ya neighbor!
Heck you could even move out to Madison (52A) and live in a town that has a ton of historic homes from before the war of Northern aggression.:)

Attachments

• War Memorial.jpg
    War Memorial.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 47
No ties to Chicago at all. I have wanted to get out of that place for over 15 years. I had two job offers from places in Atlanta that I almost took and one in Mississippi.
You? In the South? :D

keith, i love that statue!

You'll like this one in Chicago:

chic02.jpg

chic03.jpg

QUESTA COLONNA
DI VENTI SECOLI ANTICA
ERETTA SUL LIDO DI OSTIA
PORTO DI ROMA IMPERIALE
A VIGILARE LE FORTUNE E LE VITTORIE
DELLE TIREMI ROMANE
L'ITALIA FASCISTA SUSPICE BENITO MUSSOLINI
DONA A CHICAGO
ESALTAZIONE SIMBOLO RICORDO
DELLA SQUADRA ATLANTICA GUIDATA DA BALBO
CHE CON ROMANO ARDIMENTO TRASVOLO L'OCEANO
NELL' ANNO XI
DEL LITTORIO

THIS COLUMN
TWENTY CENTURIES OLD
ERECTED ON THE SHORES OF OSTIA
PORT OF IMPERIAL ROME
TO SAFEGUARD THE FORTUNES AND VICTORIES
OF THE ROMAN TRIREMES
FASCIST ITALY BY COMMAND OF BENITO MUSSOLINI
PRESENTS TO CHICAGO
EXALTATION SYMBOL MEMORIAL
OF THE ATLANTIC SQUADRON LED BY BALBO
THAT WITH ROMAN DARING FLEW ACROSS THE OCEAN
IN THE ELEVENTH YEAR
OF THE FASCIST ERA​

It's even AVIATION RELATED! http://www.ostia-antica.org/past/chicago.htm

Last edited:
keith, i love that statue!

Me too....
It was erected in 1908 by the Daughters of the Confederacy in Madison.
One of the other sides *could* be considered politically incorrect by today's standards. It is noteworthy that it is NOT on the square like most all the small town's Confederate War Statues are. Madison is a beautiful old town ~~40 miles East of Atlanta. Home of Pennington Seeds, FWIW. Penington has a nice King Air that they commute back and forth to Wal-Mart in Arkansas with "to see how little they are going to pay for our seeds this year".

I know where I'm from, I just don't understand where you were going with the statement. :dunno:
Sorry.. I was responding to your original statement about MS being the only one in the south. It was just a tease.

Ummm - I lived in Charlotte for six years. Learned the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee. I also learned to fly there. A low wing in the South? Even a high wing turns into a terrarium between April and October. Great flying destinations, although no straight roads exist in the South, especially ones pointed in the cardinal directions. I had to learn rectangular patterns in the pattern - which I guess was the whole point, wasn't it?

Glad to be a Yankee again.

Last edited:
Atlanta is Chicago, just (even) hotter and with less personality.

Mississippi is better (I can't believe I'm saying that :no: )

After the disaster of my trip to Madrid in June I was looking forward to a little trip to Tokyo. Well on the the flight over I sprained my ankle tripping in the aisle. Then I checked the WX for the week here and it said rain on Weather.com. What it did not say is that it is rain because a typhoon is about to hit here. BTW just as I am supposed to fly home, so who knows when I will get home. I have had it. Anyone know of a good standards job where I don't have to travel anymore?

Let's see. I'm returning from Amsterdam, and have to start a drive from SAT to DC Friday. I was in London yesterday, Amsterdam last night, etc. It was sunny, then raining, then sunny - then rain. Heathrow is a cluster****. Nearly had to spend the night in London - with my clothes in a hotel in Amsterdam. I was running for the last flight of the night, which left a bit late though nobody said anything (the BMI check-in kiosk said "Hurry! Run to your gate! The gate will close in 20 minutes!", which was NOT true at all, it closed at departure time).

As for standards work, I'll help any way I can. Send me your resume. PM me with/for an email address. I'm moving back to DC this weekend (well, mostly, because I still need to get another car & the plane). I know a bunch of folks in the electronics/telecomm standards world - I served on CCIR Study Group 12 for a while.

Last edited:
Ummm - I lived in Charlotte for six years. Learned the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee.
Charlotte is not in the South either. Same goes for Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill(AKA Berkley East).

Glad to be a Yankee again.

You can have Yankee land. I don't miss it at all and frequently am reminded of why when I travel.

To each his own.:D

Charlotte is not in the South either. Same goes for Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill(AKA Berkley East).

You can have Yankee land. I don't miss it at all and frequently am reminded of why when I travel.

To each his own.:D

Cary, outside of Charlotte, is known as the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees :)

Re. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill....nah, I won't go there.

Cary, outside of Charlotte, is known as the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees :)

Not to pick nits here, but Cary is on the south side of Raleigh, not Charlotte.
We called it the Concentrated Area for Relocated Yankees.
And though I was raised here in the land of the righteous, I'm marries to a Yankee from Plattsburgh, New York. ALL here relatives live in and around Atlanta now.:hairraise:

Please refer to the attachment in my earlier post re: unconstitutional invasions! :) :)

Actually, for more nit picking, Cary is on the west side of Raleigh, but who is checking.:D

Please refer to the attachment in my earlier post re: unconstitutional invasions! :) :)
As my Southern friends are known to say - We much prefer the last invasion of the South by them Yankees. It was considered sporting to shoot them then.

Actually, for more nit picking, Cary is on the west side of Raleigh, but who is checking.:D

As my Southern friends are known to say - We much prefer the last invasion of the South by them Yankees. It was considered sporting to shoot them then.

hahahahahaha

Standards job without travel? Let me know when you find one. Between standards, industry and professional society committees I've been to Paris, Sao Paulo, Bangkok, Hanoi, Denver (twice), Red Bank (NJ) and (well, at least this one was good) Honolulu this year. And I'm headed for Sydney a week from now. Things are slowing down after that with just Gaithersburg and Ft. Lauderdale on the calendar (but that can change). Already have Premier Executive on UA for next year (nothing new about that). Already know of trips to Copenhagen and Osaka for next year, plus another trip to Europe in the May/June time frame.

Oh, and I recall a trip a few years ago bugging out of Seoul as a typhoon approached, too. I think they closed the airport shortly after we departed. Hope you're enjoying the RCC at NRT.

We called it the Concentrated Area for Relocated Yankees.
And though I was raised here in the land of the righteous, I'm marries to a Yankee from Plattsburgh, New York. ALL here relatives live in and around Atlanta now.:hairraise:

Oops, my bad when typing...thanks for the catch.

Standards job without travel? Let me know when you find one.
I know I just need a break. It does not help that what I do a compnay needs at most one of me. That makes it tough to find another job too. If I leave it will be to do something new.
Already have Premier Executive on UA for next year (nothing new about that).
just made 1k status with this trip.
Oh, and I recall a trip a few years ago bugging out of Seoul as a typhoon approached, too. I think they closed the airport shortly after we departed. Hope you're enjoying the RCC at NRT.
I am in the thick of it right now. Sustained winds of 65knots and gusts to 95kts so it has dropped in power and is just a strong tropical storm. Should be passing by noon but I am not sure if the equipment to get me home will get in.

I know I just need a break. It does not help that what I do a compnay needs at most one of me. That makes it tough to find another job too. If I leave it will be to do something new.
just made 1k status with this trip.
I am in the thick of it right now. Sustained winds of 65knots and gusts to 95kts so it has dropped in power and is just a strong tropical storm. Should be passing by noon but I am not sure if the equipment to get me home will get in.

Your travel sked makes me look like a stay-at-home. I was teaching a class in Oregon last month after just hitting 1P for the year and one of the students had just hit 1k. And that UA ticket agent in Denver was wondering why I was so testy when the bag check counter on the right was closed and I had to walk down to the other end to check my bag a week ago. They really don't try to make it enjoyable.

Let's see, NRT to ORD. Maybe you'll get lucky and Greg will be in the right seat. Channel 9 is always interesting in that part of the world. Some of those Japanese controllers are darned near impossible to understand. :D

Let's see, NRT to ORD. Maybe you'll get lucky and Greg will be in the right seat. Channel 9 is always interesting in that part of the world. Some of those Japanese controllers are darned near impossible to understand. :D
Ain't that the truth!

I'll put the bed out and sleep most of the way home though. I usually skip dinner to get some shut eye.

1st class,, business class is roughing it. BUT I am going coach to Europe in a couple of weeks.

You're lucky. My employer will only pay for coach. Upgrades are on me, and my wife likes to use the miles to join me on trips, so I don't dare burn them for upgrades. Besides, she's still thinking about UA's 200,000 mile round the world with unlimited stops ticket for my sabbatical in 2009. So I need to get the balance up over 400,000 miles by then (north of 360,000 right now and I'm heading for SYD the end of next week).

Back