i have a cataract

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
according to the eye doctor i went to the other day. in my left eye. likely genetic. he figured id have to worry about it once im 50 or so and its bad enough to cause problems. i wonder if this is common in younger people but goes undetected until it gets to the point where it causes problems? i suppose in the past they really didn't test for cataracts? anyway I found it interesting.

otherwise my vision is good. 20/35 without glasses so i don't have to have a glasses requirement on my drivers license. i suppose i could even get a 3rd class medical without glasses/contacts required if i wanted a 3rd class.

Tony, I'm no expert, but it's probably good that you were diagnosed so young. This way you know you have it, the docs will keep an eye on it (no pun intended) and do the best thing for you. Rather than what most of us will experience, when we get to the golden age for cataracts, 60s or above and then rush, well that may not be a proper term with cataracts, into a surgery to get rid of it.

Many years ago it was a sentence to darkness but now the nearby (Odessa) eye clinic does 20 cataract removals a day, they all queue up like an assembly line, pop them out in 10 mins and back they come in the afternoon with eye patches on for their follow up check. Amazing. I know a few dogs that have had it done, too!

my grandpa has a cataract but he keeps having massive health issues like gall bladder removal or strokes right before he's supposed to get it removed.

Tony, I'm no expert, but it's probably good that you were diagnosed so young. This way you know you have it, the docs will keep an eye on it (no pun intended) and do the best thing for you. Rather than what most of us will experience, when we get to the golden age for cataracts, 60s or above and then rush, well that may not be a proper term with cataracts, into a surgery to get rid of it.

My wife just had both of her cataracts removed and replaced with state of the art "adjustable" lenses. Her vision now is better than it has ever been in her life, better than 20/20. She now does not wear glasses except for computer work. Waiting is counter productive in light of today's techniques and products. Cataracts are no longer an old persons disease.

She is 53.

Last edited:
What is the form number needed to have the eye doc fill out? This is the form that I would take to my AME to show the completed surgery.

What is the form number needed to have the eye doc fill out? This is the form that I would take to my AME to show the completed surgery.

Maybe this will help:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...m/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item31/amd/

Hopefully, you'll get an answer from a real expert soon.

--

Tony, didn't the latest issue of the SSA magazine have a story about cataracts? Or maybe it was the latest AOPA magazine, can't remember. I just remember seeing there was an article, but can't remember much about it.

Matt

I had cataracts in both eyes one done at 35 the other at 45. Other than needing reading glasses for near vision, the newer lenses appear to improve that. My vision is back to where it was when I was 20.

Maybe this will help:
Tony, didn't the latest issue of the SSA magazine have a story about cataracts? Or maybe it was the latest AOPA magazine, can't remember. I just remember seeing there was an article, but can't remember much about it.

Matt

yea i think Tom Knauff wrote an article in Soaring last month about having cataracts.

I have a Cataract, too... in fact, I have two of 'em.

One Erdorado, and one Sedan de Virre.

Tony, the early nucleus can be there as early as age 20. What really counts is the progress (development) of the nucleus.

There is NOTHING that beats the accomodative power of the 24 year old eye, I'd do NOTHING. When it does become a problem, deal with it then. Things will be even better then, rather than now.

I kid you not.

And this 57 year old just had his optometrist say that he saw them in both eyes last month. Something new. We'll keep an eye on them (sorry) and deal with them when they become a problem. A whole different game than when my great grandmother had them removed in the 1960s. Oh, those glasses were thick.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back