I have 27 hours. A few weeks away from soloing. Can I fly with an ATP?

manlymatt83

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
I'm currently taking flying lessons with a CFI. However, I'm visiting my parents this weekend, and one of their good friends holds an ATP rating (flies for a large airline) but does NOT have an active CFI rating. He wants to "take me up" in his 172 when I'm visiting. I'm kind of curious:

1) Can I sit in the left seat even though he isn't my CFI? Can he still be PIC in the right seat?
2) Can I fly at all? I know the time isn't "loggable" but wondering if I can manipulate the controls at all since he's ATP rating and PIC?

Just curious - I will of course ask him, too, but curious... thanks!

There is no restriction as far as I am aware from him acting as PIC from the right seat. The safety question, is he used to flying from the right side? It is not loggable.

1) Can I sit in the left seat even though he isn't my CFI? Can he still be PIC in the right seat?
2) Can I fly at all? I know the time isn't "loggable" but wondering if I can manipulate the controls at all since he's ATP rating and PIC?
Yes and yes

An ATP can be PIC from either seat, you just can't log the time. Have fun

An ATP can be PIC from either seat, you just can't log the time. Have fun

Agreed...Just as a PP or any other certificate holder can fly as PIC from any control station, provided there is no prohibition by the manufacturer.

Keep in mind the FARs are written on what you cant' do, not what you can do. (with a couple exceptions)This question is about in the same vein as "can I wear a purple shirt when I fly?" or "can I chew gum while I fly?"

As you become more familiar with the regulations you will see that the general rule of thumb is "if it doesn't say no, you're good to go"

Keep in mind the FARs are written on what you cant' do, not what you can do. (with a couple exceptions)This question is about in the same vein as "can I wear a purple shirt when I fly?" or "can I chew gum while I fly?"

As you become more familiar with the regulations you will see that the general rule of thumb is "if it doesn't say no, you're good to go"

I thought the rule was "If Cap'n Ron doesn't say no, you're good to go." ;)

Doesn't even take an ATP in the right seat, just someone qualified to be PIC. Can't tell you the number of times I've let students or even non-pilots fly my plane.

Awesome all! Thanks for the info! And I'm training out of KBED.

And I'm kind of tempted to start wearing purple shirts when I fly...

I prefer to wear a cape when I fly. :wink2:

Edna: It will be bold! Dramatic!
Bob: Yeah!
Edna: Heroic!
Bob: Yeah. Something classic, like, like Dynaguy. Oh, he had a great look! Oh, the cape and the boots...
Edna: [throws a wadded ball of paper at Bob's head] No capes!
Bob: Isn't that my decision?
Edna: Do you remember Thunderhead? Tall, storm powers? Nice man, good with kids.
Bob: Listen, E...
Edna: November 15th of '58! All was well, another day saved, when... his cape snagged on a missile fin!
Bob: Thunderhead was not the brightest bulb...
Edna: Stratogale! April 23rd, '57! Cape caught in a jet turbine!
Bob: E, you can't generalize about these things...
Edna: Metaman, express elevator! Dynaguy, snagged on takeoff! Splashdown, sucked into a vortex!
[shouts]
Edna: No capes!

I've heard that it cuts down on air resistance.

Naw, that's the spandex body suit and brightly colored undies worn on the outside.

The cape serves the same purpose as a towel. Just about the most massively useful thing any interstellar hitchhiker can carry.

I always wear purple boxers while flying..... and I only own one pair....:eek:

Not sure why the ATP was even mentioned. The OP can fly with ANY certificated pilot (category and class, of course) in the other seat.

An ATP can give instruction in air transport service (61.167) without holding an instructor certificate... almost without exception, these folks work in the training departments of airlines. S/he cannot instruct Joe or Mary Sixpack in their 172 without a CFI.

Bob Gardner

Last edited:
Back