I hatred tuna casserole[rant]

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Yeah.

Hamburger Helper. The cheesiest, yummiest extender for poor quality ground beef known to man (or woman, more accurately) since sliced bread. I don't eat bread so I don't eat bread so I don't care anyway but I used to eat the pasta in Hamburger Helper.

Tuna Helper.

Fail. I love tuna. I love tuna salad. Make me a tuna salad sammich and I'm in heaven. Make me a Tuna Helper and I'm in hell. Look, I like tuna. Sushi, it's great. Cooked, it's fine for tuna salad. Cooked twice...

No. Well, tonight's dinner is some precooked tuna being cooked again, with rice and some awesome sloughouse corn which is world famous and I picked up some but why are we doing corn and rice at the same time? I like rice. I like good corn. I don't need both.

I sure as HELL don't need twice cooked canned tuna. Is this a woman thing? Do women like twice cooked tuna? Men f hate it. I sure as hell hate it. I have tried to express.

Smile and enjoy I guess. I have reached this stage where I want stuff I want going in to my body vs stuff I don't. Maybe the solution is isolation and department but then there is the laundry issue and plus the kids and stuff. I mean, the are adults and can wipe their own asses and that is good but man.

I don't need tri tip every day. I would like tri tip every day. I would be happy with hamburgers every day. I would be okay with tuna salad every day.

Why, fried canned tuna. Why?

I mean I can pull out some cans of non-reheated tuna or canned chicken breast, but that would offend.

Am I out of line?

I sure as HELL don't need twice cooked canned tuna. Is this a woman thing? Do women like twice cooked tuna? Men f hate it. I sure as hell hate it. I have tried to express.
I also don't like twice cooked canned tuna but then again I also don't like cooked tuna and I also don't like canned tuna either.

Gotta be raw (sashimi) or put a crusty hard sear on the outside if you want to be fancy.

Am I out of line?
Oh, and line-caught too, since you mentioned it.

Growing up in an Italian-American household never had tuna casserole until I was living in NH and dating my wife and had dinner at her parents. I was barely able to get the entire serving down without hurling.

Though at another meal at her parents I did enjoy a New England favorite Brown Bread aka Bread in a Can.

I DO hatred tuna helper. It is gross and never tastes right. But I don't hatred tuna right out of the can (except that junk that is in oil. I do hatred that. What is that even for??), I don't hatred raw tuna. I don't hatred seared tuna. The only think tuna-related that I DO hatred is tuna helper.

I hatred overcooked fresh tuna. Not hatred canned, but cooking anythinf other than a light sear on the outside of nice tuna steak cause much disappoint. Very anger.

Threads is making hungry for tuna fihs. Hatred that I am on an all day conference calling! Hatred that it won't end until late and no flying of plane. Maybe get tuna steaks for dinner and sear like person said.

This Tuna and Avocado Salad is really good...

Recipe:
One can of tuna in olive oil - buy the highest quality tuna available.
2 ripe avocados, sliced bite sized
3 - 4 Scallions, chopped
salt to taste
vinegar

Drain the olive oil from the tuna can, but not completely.

Combine all ingredients and serve promptly.

This one is a winner!

-Skip

This Tuna and Avocado Salad is really good...

Recipe:
One can of tuna in olive oil - buy the highest quality tuna available.
2 ripe avocados, sliced bite sized
3 - 4 Scallions, chopped
salt to taste
vinegar

Drain the olive oil from the tuna can, but not completely.

Combine all ingredients and serve promptly.

This one is a winner!

-Skip

I can't tell the difference between fancy canned tuna and the standard water packed Starkist, which is cheap. I think I would just add in a little olive oil if called for.

What size tuna can are you looking at? Two avocados seems like way too much for one can. It would be like guacamole with some tuna mixed in.

The Kirkland Albacore tuna from Costco is pretty good to me.

As long as we are on the subject of tuna...

This is the original Habit Burger albacore on a salad.

IMG_3779.JPG

This is the current offering with sushi grade Ahi. Yes, I aks them gimmie it raw.

IMG_3941.JPG

What size tuna can are you looking at? Two avocados seems like way too much for one can. It would be like guacamole with some tuna mixed in.

Yes it is a big'un. Next time I cruise through the kitchen I'll take a look.... What you are looking at is an approximate equal number of avocado chunks and tuna chunks... -Skip

@Sac Arrow The tuna can in the pantry is 5oz. Be guided by the mix ratio above...

-Skip

Last edited:
I don't recall ever having tuna helper. But I do enjoy a good tuna melt which does involve heating up canned tuna so I suppose twice cooked tuna doesn't bother me any.

Yes it is a big'un. Next time I cruise through the kitchen I'll take a look.... What you are looking at is an approximate equal number of avocado chunks and tuna chunks... -Skip

@Sac Arrow The tuna can in the pantry is 5oz. Be guided by the mix ratio above...

-Skip

When I worked in a restaurant in college we used the industrial size can of tuna and when prepping tuna we had to empty the tuna in a large mixing bowl and then chop enough celery to fill the empty tuna can and then mix the celery with the tuna and then add mayo.

Yeah.
Tuna Helper.

You had me at 'hatred tuna casserole" This was a Friday night staple growing up ( I am a recovering Catholic). Got to the point in HS I did bother coming home for dinner on Friday after my part time job, I would just hit the local dinner and gouge on cheeseburger, cheesecakes (Philadelphia favorite) or luck out to get invited to my girlfriend house for dinner..

Anything but Tuna Casserole....

I Will never eat tuna. I hatred the smell. My cat loves it and gets all she wants.

Canned tuna and scrambled eggs. Try it.
Intrigued, tell me more. I'm assuming the tuna goes in the pan to cook with the eggs. Do I need to prep the tuna in any way or just straight from the can to the pan?

Also I'm assuming cheese on top is still ok, yes no maybe?

Intrigued, tell me more. I'm assuming the tuna goes in the pan to cook with the eggs. Do I need to prep the tuna in any way or just straight from the can to the pan?

I whisk the tuna and eggs together and throw in the pan on medium heat.

Cheese goes on EVERYTHING!

I whisk the tuna and eggs together and throw in the pan on medium heat.

Cheese goes on EVERYTHING!
I will be trying it this weekend. Wife is extremely skeptical but I'm not going to let that stop me.;)

Canned tuna, chopped onion, Mayo, shredded cheddar, mix, mound on english muffins, broil, yummy. We all no hatred.

If I have to eat canned fish, give me salmon and I'll use it to make salmon patties. Just add a beaten egg and some bread crumbs, saute in a skillet with butter, add a little salt and pepper, and Bob's your uncle, there's a meal.

Exactly right.

Never buy mid- low priced canned salmon, it has bones and it’s awful. If you like canned salmon get the absolute best you can afford. (How did salmon get in here?........I don’t know.)

The most rank disgusting god-awfulest choke your closed throat fish i ever [tried to] ate was herring with sour cream in denmark. And they had the balls to serve it with lemon wedges and sliced onions. Holy moly! I almost croaked. And i can eat almost any seafood fresh and hate to waste food.

Never buy mid- low priced canned salmon, it has bones and it’s awful. If you like canned salmon get the absolute best you can afford. (How did salmon get in here?........I don’t know.)

Or, just don't buy canned salmon. Seems to work for tuna and even chicken, but salmon, no

I hatred canned salmon. So many bones.

Sorry, that was my fault. I hatred tuna casserole too.

Back