I hate this town so much (N/A)

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Wake up this morning to find that my two rear tires have been slashed and my car's been keyed on the rear quarter panels. :mad3:

Thing that really sucks is if they specifically targeted my car, there's no guarantee that they won't do this again after I get it repaired. Ugh.

ugh! sorry to hear this. why would someone target your car?

Who knows. I could've ****ed someone off, or it could've just been some random thing. The cop said he saw another one exactly like it so it seems more random, just the nice car in the lot so the obvious target. My own fault for living in an apartment complex I guess. Pondering getting a camera system to put on the balcony just in case.

It's for many reasons like that, that I decided in 1983 I could not raise a family in Hyde Park (Chicago). Fled to the burbs.

My car was just a week old when it got keyed.

I used to have that problem around here, but usually only on Halloween. The local punks would go around slashing tires and doing other vandalism.

More recently, they've moved on to burglary: A cop friend of mine says that there are two rival groups of teen-aged, wanna-be gangsters who are having a competition to see which can steal the most stuff. Other than that, this is actually a relatively low-crime neighborhood in a relatively low-crime city.

Like you said, the slashing and keying seem to happen more to nice cars. My last three cars were nice, new cars; but now that I have an old car (I decided I didn't need more debt so a bought a used car with cash), no one has bothered it.

The landlord finally got around to enclosing the parking area behind a decent, locked fence a few weeks ago, after five years of nagging him, which also helps. It took someone stealing something of his to make him do it. Now we have locks that would impress a jailer.

-Rich

ugh! sorry to hear this. why would someone target your car?
Have you seen his SZ posts? :ihih:

That sucks, William. I'm guessing it was random. A few years ago, some jerks drove through my parents' quiet neighborhood and shot out several back windows in the middle of the night. Just for the fun of it I guess. :incazzato:

Its not safe anywhere, I had a cow ram the rear quarter of my pickup, 2' dent!

Bummer William, sorry it happened to you. Flew into Greenwood Sunday with my wife and BS'ed with the guys fora half hour or so.

ugh - hate it when that happens. My car was vandalized once, still bugs me after nearly 25 years. Probably just a random thing in your and my case. Just some dope who saw an opportunity.

A cop buddy of mine used to deal with a punk that was suspected in all sorts of these types of things. Charges against the kid never stuck, not enough witnesses or whatever. One night the kid drove his motorcycle over a hill on the wrong side of the road and ended up as a hood ornament on a truck. The vandalism in that neighborhood pretty much stopped.

Wake up this morning to find that my two rear tires have been slashed and my car's been keyed on the rear quarter panels. :mad3:

Thing that really sucks is if they specifically targeted my car, there's no guarantee that they won't do this again after I get it repaired. Ugh.

Karma can be a *****, huh?

ugh - hate it when that happens. My car was vandalized once, still bugs me after nearly 25 years. Probably just a random thing in your and my case. Just some dope who saw an opportunity.

A cop buddy of mine used to deal with a punk that was suspected in all sorts of these types of things. Charges against the kid never stuck, not enough witnesses or whatever. One night the kid drove his motorcycle over a hill on the wrong side of the road and ended up as a hood ornament on a truck. The vandalism in that neighborhood pretty much stopped.

My heart bleeds. Where's the kleenex.

Very sorry to hear this William. I think we can all identify with you.

I watched some kids pass my new car once and walked out afterward to find it had been keyed. Couldn't tell which young man did it. They walked away laughing.

It's one of those things we all hate, but it continues to happen. I assume it's insured and will be repaired. Is it parked out in the open where they will continue to be able to do this?

In my case, this was at a paintball place. It's in a garage at night. Can happen anywhere.

Best,

Dave

Brush it off William.

Heh, more like scrape it off...:D

37195017_6932dc2fab.jpg

A couple years ago there was a rash of keyings, breakins, stuff stolen from an apartment complex parking lot, in Seattle, the tenants got POed and after a bit there was a body found in the parking lot, two gun shot wounds, one in the hip, one in the back of the head. They haven't had any problems in a while now.

A couple years ago there was a rash of keyings, breakins, stuff stolen from an apartment complex parking lot, in Seattle, the tenants got POed and after a bit there was a body found in the parking lot, two gun shot wounds, one in the hip, one in the back of the head. They haven't had any problems in a while now.

OhOh, SZ here we come. :cryin:

Very sorry to hear this William. I think we can all identify with you.

I watched some kids pass my new car once and walked out afterward to find it had been keyed. Couldn't tell which young man did it. They walked away laughing.

It's one of those things we all hate, but it continues to happen. I assume it's insured and will be repaired. Is it parked out in the open where they will continue to be able to do this?

In my case, this was at a paintball place. It's in a garage at night. Can happen anywhere.

Best,

Dave

Yeah, it's in an apartment complex, and it's insured, but still at least $500 out of pocket to cover the deductible, and now it's a bit harder to look for other insurers to switch to. I was actually planning to call around today for lower rates. Should've done it yesterday!

I'm feeling a little better, replacement tires have been ordered and the insurance company will come out sometime in the next two to four days to inspect the damage for their estimate. Hopefully it's not too off from what things actually cost. Now I just have to take care of transportation for the rest of the week.. no rental reimbursement, grr.

Out of curiosity - would there be a point in filing a police report in a case like this? Something the insurance would like to see? Or another reason?

Out of curiosity - would there be a point in filing a police report in a case like this? Something the insurance would like to see? Or another reason?
I always do...because the insurance company has always ended up asking me for it. I've found that some cities are more accommodating than others.

Tristan's car got smashed up a bit at Tony's wedding ceremony. The Estherville police department were kind of dicks about giving me a report. Well, guess what, it was the first thing the insurance company wanted.

The filing of the report gets the data into the system. It is not going to result in Sgt. Friday launching a dragnet. But as reports like this do come in the PD may start to step up patrols in the area. If the happen to catch someone they can use the reports to possibly bring additional charges against them.

I called before I even called the insurance company, and sure enough the first thing they asked for was the number on the report. Thing is, if they pay out and then the police catch the perpetrator, I do believe the insurance company can go after the guy for restitution since I've been made whole but they haven't.

As far as police reports, often there isn't enough evidence in one incident to solve the crime, but if everyone is reporting them, after a while the cops can start seeing a trend or some sort of commonality between them, and come up with a suspect. If no one reports it, there isn't anything to work with. My advice is to report anything and everything. When they do get a suspect and a conviction based on the cumulative evidence, which can take some time, if you didn't report it, you're not going to be able to collect any victim compensation.

You could always move to Albuquerque....

Sorry to hear it man. I once had someone steal my stereo. When I installed it, I used the antitheft tabs to keep it from being stolen.

They torched my dashboard open and stole it instead. Did over $2000 worth of damage to steal a $125 stereo.

You could always move to Albuquerque....

Sorry to hear it man. I once had someone steal my stereo. When I installed it, I used the antitheft tabs to keep it from being stolen.

They torched my dashboard open and stole it instead. Did over $2000 worth of damage to steal a $125 stereo.

After hearing your stories, I'm thankful in some ways that it was just two tires and ruined paint. I'll stay in SC.. just maybe not here. heh.

Where I used to live we were plagued by a graffitti artist who liked to decorate the overhead freeway signs. The cops knew who he was, but could never catch him at it. One night he got careless and ran across in front of a fast-moving car. He didn't make it. That was the end of the graffitti.

Dave

I've got Claymores in my front lawn and lure them in with Yanni music.

:D

Back