I hate radio installs

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I installed a new intercom to 34V, I did not notice that # 1 pin on the connector did not have a whole pin installed in the harness side of the 22 pin D sub connector, and wired it up 1 pin to the left of each pin in that row.

Freaking Chinese chit.

no smoke got out. #1 pin is the avionics ground, no ground no power up.

I installed a new intercom to 34V, I did not notice that # 1 pin on the connector did not have a whole pin installed in the harness side of the 22 pin D sub connector, and wired it up 1 pin to the left of each pin in that row.

Freaking Chinese chit.

no smoke got out. #1 pin is the avionics ground, no ground no power up.

What brand of intercom did ya install??

Well, replace the busted pin, and get on with it. ;)
I guess the harness was pre-fab?
I love to do avionix installs. But I build my own harness,(that's the fun part) so I know who screwed up.

Well, replace the busted pin, and get on with it. ;)
I guess the harness was pre-fab?
I love to do avionix installs. But I build my own harness,(that's the fun part) so I know who screwed up.

Where did you get the idea it was a "BUSTED" pin? they are molded in and not replaceable, and the #1 pin was not a complete pin when it was installed, and has no back side where the wire is soldered in.

No it wasn't a prebuilt harness, the 25 pin sub D connector has half of the #1 pin, So #2 pins gets connected to #1 wire and so on across the row.

I must get a new 25 pin connector (monday) and rewire the whole harness.

Last edited:
No it wasn't a prebuilt harness, the 25 pin sub D connector has no #1 pin or hole, So #2 pins gets connected to #1 wire and so on across the row.

It is the little details that put the fly in the ointment......

Personally I love to install avionics and electrical systems... it is a mental challange for sure....

Personally I love to install avionics and electrical systems... it is a mental challange for sure....

You got this up before I finished the edit, I normally get it right the first go, but this one faked me out by having all the pins on the front side so I just started with the #1 wire in the first cup on the rear.

Where did you get the idea it was a "BUSTED" pin?
your mention that only half of it is there?
they are molded in and not replaceable, and the #1 pin was not a complete pin when it was installed, and has no back side where the wire is soldered in.

No it wasn't a prebuilt harness, the 25 pin sub D connector has half of the #1 pin, So #2 pins gets connected to #1 wire and so on across the row.
See bold above, and tell me that you have the facility to fabricate a molded 25 pin D-sub connector, and that you are the one who built this harness with a bad pin? Not trying to be an ass, just trying to get the facts straight. :wink2:

And so goes the best laid plans of mice and men. :idea:

Last edited:

Yep.

When there's 26 letters in the alphabet, and 21 pins on a row, and next row is numbered 1-21, first is A, and last is Z on the "abc" row. which ones have been omitted? It's an industry standard.

Yep.

When there's 26 letters in the alphabet, and 21 pins on a row, and next row is numbered 1-21, first is A, and last is Z on the "abc" row. which ones have been omitted? It's an industry standard.

Nope not in this connector.
Row 1 is 1-13
Row 2 is 14-25

And yes I should have read out the connector prior to connecting it. Oh well it isn't the end of the world, I'll fix it.

So it was me who broke it ??

See bold above, and tell me that you have the facility to fabricate a molded 25 pin D-sub connector,

Who said I was making another connector.

I think your reading comprehension needs a little work.

So it was me who broke it ??

Who said I was making another connector.

I think your reading comprehension needs a little work.

No, first you say it's not a pre-fab harness, then you tell me it's a molded connector, (indication of a pre-fab harness). What I'm saying is it's a busted pin, based upon being told that only half of the pin is there, and it's a pre-fab harness, based upon the fact that it's a molded 25 pin D-sub connector. That is all.

And you just mentioned in one of the posts above that you will get a new connector on Monday, thus indicating that you will be wiring up another connector, to replace the molded one with the faulty pin.

Dang it, read yer own posts. :D

No, first you say it's not a pre-fab harness, then you tell me it's a molded connector, (indication of a pre-fab harness). What I'm saying is it's a busted pin, based upon being told that only half of the pin is there, and it's a pre-fab harness, based upon the fact that it's a molded 25 pin D-sub connector. That is all.

And you just mentioned in one of the posts above that you will get a new connector on Monday, thus indicating that you will be wiring up another connector, to replace the molded one with the faulty pin.

Dang it, read yer own posts. :D

Do you really believe a connector is the whole harness?

Now I think you are just making excuses for your assumptions.

The connector was defective, I didn't catch it, what more do you want.

Doesn't change the fact I hate radio installs, one little mistake and it doesn't work, and it can get expensive.

Do you really believe a connector is the whole harness?

Now I think you are just making excuses for your assumptions.

The connector was defective, I didn't catch it, what more do you want.

Doesn't change the fact I hate radio installs, one little mistake and it doesn't work, and it can get expensive.

Well the connector is not the whole harness, so I guess that it's just a connector with a pigtail, that you must wire in to the harness.
It has a bad pin, easy to miss. Another reason that I make up my own connectors, and harness. Which is usually required anyway.
Yes, one little mistake (even a "wild hair") can produce the "majik smoke", and get real 'spensive real quick. I bench test everything prior to installation, to be certian that there is no problems. And sometimes I still have troubles.

Not making excuses for my assumtions, just explaining how I arrived at those assumptions based upon the information that I was given.
#1 given- connector with half pin,- assumption = broken pin (who broke it? who cares, it don't work)
#2 given- molded connector,- assumption = prefab harness (or working with used avionics)

you see?

Well the connector is not the whole harness, so I guess that it's just a connector with a pigtail,

There ya go again.

that you must wire in to the harness.

No, you start with a new connector and build the harness by soldering the wires in.

It has a bad pin, easy to miss. Another reason that I make up my own connectors, and harness. Which is usually required anyway.

Why would you make a connector when they come with the intercom?

Yes, one little mistake (even a "wild hair") can produce the "majik smoke", and get real 'spensive real quick. I bench test everything prior to installation, to be certian that there is no problems. And sometimes I still have troubles.

Not making excuses for my assumtions, just explaining how I arrived at those assumptions based upon the information that I was given.
#1 given- connector with half pin,- assumption = broken pin (who broke it? who cares, it don't work)
#2 given- molded connector,- assumption = prefab harness (or working with used avionics)

you see?

When you order a intercom, you don't get any pig tails, the connector comes bare, and you wire it.

When you order a intercom, you don't get any pig tails, the connector comes bare, and you wire it.

So you get a 25 pin D-sub connector, with 25 pins. You connect the pins to the wires, and install the connected pins into the connector.
So, it's not a molded, pre wired connector.

The pins can be removed, and installed. So alls ya gotta do is replace the faulty pin.

You just told me several posts ago that the connector was molded with pins in place....Oh! I get it. nevermind. it's one of those cheap radio shack connectors with solder connections. Dam! My bad.:redface:
I'm used to working with the D-subs that come with the Garmin equipement. You can change the pins on those. (And Radio Shack sells those as well)
I don't like soldered connections in aircraft wiring, as most of the wire is aluminum and doesn't take to soldering very well. Sometimes ya gotta do it, but if it can be done otherwise it's better.

Oh well, I still get that you don't like avionics installs. :D

I was thinking of this: (molded D-sub)

Attachments

• rgb_15pin_cable6001.jpg
    rgb_15pin_cable6001.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2
You were talkin' about this: (solder D-sub)

Attachments

• D-SUB-44Pin-Female-Solder-Revited.jpg
    D-SUB-44Pin-Female-Solder-Revited.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 6
And should have had this:

Attachments

• 51076.jpg
    51076.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 17
And should have had this:

That connector will not fit, you use what comes in the kit, other wise you can't sign it off as installed as directed by the manufacturer.

So you get a 25 pin D-sub connector, with 25 pins. You connect the pins to the wires, and install the connected pins into the connector.
So, it's not a molded, pre wired connector.

The pins can be removed, and installed. So alls ya gotta do is replace the faulty pin.

You just told me several posts ago that the connector was molded with pins in place....Oh! I get it. nevermind. it's one of those cheap radio shack connectors with solder connections. Dam! My bad.:redface:
I'm used to working with the D-subs that come with the Garmin equipement. You can change the pins on those. (And Radio Shack sells those as well)
I don't like soldered connections in aircraft wiring, as most of the wire is aluminum and doesn't take to soldering very well. Sometimes ya gotta do it, but if it can be done otherwise it's better.

Oh well, I still get that you don't like avionics installs. :D
Aluminum wire?? YGTBSM

where do these instructions allow me to use other products in the installation.

http://www.flightcom.net/pdf/403mcManual.pdf.

Believe it or not,,,, Flight comm says to go buy one from Radio shack, they are 3 bucks.

easier and cheaper than screwing with a warrantee, shipping and what ever.

And i can pick it up today and get started rewiring.

Aluminum wire?? YGTBSM

where do these instructions allow me to use other products in the installation.

http://www.flightcom.net/pdf/403mcManual.pdf.

I didn't see anything in there prohibiting the use of other products.

An' they tol' you to get another from RS. I would get the one with molex pins. that way they can be replaced without having to replace the entire connector.

Either way, it sounds like they were decent about it, and you've probably got the job done by now.

If a radio came with solder Sub D, I would throw it away and buy the crimp version.

If a radio came with solder Sub D, I would throw it away and buy the crimp version.

For a 1 time job, the soldering iron is cheaper than the crimper. I already have one. :)

And yes it is done and working.

Back