I hate moving.

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
As most of you know, I'm finalizing a move to the DC area. It seems that every move gets more complicated, and more buried in paper, taxes, and bureaucracy.

Here's an example. Buy a house, move cars and airplane to new state from Texas.

1) House purchase (actually went smoothly).
2) Arrange movers (pain in the rear)
3) Movers mis-estimate cost, present bill $5,000 higher than estimate. After long discussion with move coordinator, get bill reduced to 10% over the estimate amount.
4) Deal with incompetant Verizon on phone lines, waste several days waiting for them to no-show. Call Cox for cable internet (very good), call and cancel Verizon
5) Move airplane
6) Get lucky, arrange hangar. Trip #1 to airport to make sure plane fits.
7) Trip #2 to airport to pick up hangar keys and apply for gate pass
8) Trip #3 to airport to pick up gate pass
9) State requires aircraft registration, but aircraft registration can't be issued until you prove that sales/use tax is paid.
10) Sales/Use tax form assesses any aircraft moving into state, unless you can prove that you paid sales tax elsewhere. Find 8 year old use tax form for Ohio. Then file sales/use tax form. Pay accountant to get copy of original tax form.
11) finally aircraft registration form. Submit proof-of-insurance details
11) Virginia has personal property tax in its counties on aircraft. Now go to county to get form for personal property tax and file that.
12) Go to DMV for driver license. Must take existing license, proof of social security number, proof of legal residency (utility bill at new house), proof of citizenship (passport or birth certificate), and one or two other items. Then take written exam.
13) Must have car inspection and emissions inspection done prior to car registration. Off to the local service station.
14) Take inspection information, old title, etc. and apply for new title and registration. Pay use tax unless you can prove it's already paid (2 states ago).
15) Personal property tax on car. Go to county office building, file local registration, pay personal property tax. This is different county then where the airplane is based, so it requires going to a different place.
16) We won't even talk about income tax next year.
17) Realize that US Post Office has ignored the forwarding request for mail. Schedule weekend trip back to Texas to recover mail in old house and speak with Post office. Submit Second request for forwarding, and scramble to try and ensure that bills have new address applied.
18) 2 weeks later, mail still not being forwarded. Speak to postmaster.
19) A couple of automatic payments billed to credit cards bounce because you changed address with credit card companies but had not yet done so with vendor. Scramble to make good and get addresses changed.
20) try and find time to work.

It's a full time job for some period of time just to move. Administrative burden gets worse and worse. Last move to Virginia (15 years ago) wasn't nearly this bad.

Last edited:
I grew up inside the Beltway in Maryland. It's nice to visit every now and again, but I'll never move back!

That's just WAY too much crap to go through.

Bill,

I feel your pain. I will be moving again soon and going through your list ad nauseum. :(

Good luck.

Geesh Bill! Can't believe how many folks don't understand we must be productive in order to have stuff and pay taxes. I just completed a local move of my office. Can't believe the "service" people's attitude toward getting things done. We're all just supposed to sit here the entire day for when ever they can get free to drop by.

Best,

Dave

I love that part of the country. I'd still be in Virginia (Leesburg area) if it were not for the high taxes (home, vehicles, etc.)

Bill! YOUR move sucked? Try having it take more than EIGHT months!

I came sooo close to moving the last van load last weekend. Couldn't do it. I had to be ready to fly to CT. I have to go back during next week/weekend for the last sort/dump and haul of the stuff that was left in the garage.

I'll prolly have to work on moving my Mom out soon. *sigh*

I moved this last weekend from a sad shape of a rental home to a awesome shape duplex. I gained a great landlord, got rid of a slumlord and lost a garage. That's OK. The garage door nearly fell on my car. That was the last straw on him not maintaining the place.

The only utilities I had to move was electricity with the same company and Charter non-Communications. Both of those have bills that range from $100-150 a month. Then, there is water with the same city. I never go above the minimum charge of some $14 a month. But, they required a written application for the new address... even though they have my deposit and current data on file from the old address. I'm confused.

But, the worst thing I've hated about moving... changing addresses and getting your hands on mail between locations. I'm always wondering what I'm missing.

In last last eight months I've moved from Des Moines, IA to Lebanon, NH to Waterville, ME. I feel your pain. Minus the whole having to move an airplane, thing.

It gets even better when a spouse and children are involved. Find a new job for spouse, uproot kids from school. Great fun.

Bill, if you need your airplane ferried to VA (by someone familiar with the ADIZ and cleared for the FRZ), drop me a line. POA folks get a 50% discount on the fee for the first two days.

Sell/give away <$1000 car, pack bags, buy plane ticket/ beg rides :)D ) arrive new place either set up, or back to Ft Lauderdale, buy another <$1000 car, make phone calls for new place to live.

Sell/give away <$1000 car, pack bags, buy plane ticket/ beg rides :)D ) arrive new place either set up, or back to Ft Lauderdale, buy another <$1000 car, make phone calls for new place to live.
Ahhh... the romantic life of a vagabond. :D

Who says you must register your AC with the MD state? I've been around for a while, like 3 years....no state registration.

Some tin I should know about.......what am I missing?

...or you can be homeless like I've been for the last eight years!!:goofy:

We just did our first inter-state move, 97 boxes and 103 pieces of furniture, to the tune of 9000 or so pounds. BOS -> MGY, it was a big deal for us, not something I hoped to repeat for the next 2-3 years.

I went on vacation to Tokyo last week. I get an email from my boss saying, in essence, maybe it would be better if I moved to headquaters and got out of the field?

I figured, don't want to ruin my wife's vacation. When she wakes up (I'm brutally jetlagged and can't sleep), I'll tell her after making pancakes.

Sigh.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Bill, if you need your airplane ferried to VA (by someone familiar with the ADIZ and cleared for the FRZ), drop me a line. POA folks get a 50% discount on the fee for the first two days.

THanks, TIm, I've already moved plane - it's ensconced at HEF. That was the best way to move servers.

Who says you must register your AC with the MD state? I've been around for a while, like 3 years....no state registration.

Some tin I should know about.......what am I missing?

Plane is in Virginia, not MD. MD is much more aircraft friendly from an administrative standpoint (no pers. prop. tax).

I notice most of those are government agencies... :mad:

-Rich

Correct. And Verizon might as well be.

We just did our first inter-state move, 97 boxes and 103 pieces of furniture, to the tune of 9000 or so pounds. BOS -> MGY, it was a big deal for us, not something I hoped to repeat for the next 2-3 years.

I went on vacation to Tokyo last week. I get an email from my boss saying, in essence, maybe it would be better if I moved to headquaters and got out of the field?

Ugh. What a pain. Good luck, Andrew. Even at 4 and 7 years, it's tough. Truly - long distance moves are divorce fodder. Tread carefully.

Last time we moved I was working out of town and Agatha handled it all. No problem. I just came home to a different house when I got back from my trip.

Easy as pie. :rofl:

Last time we moved I was working out of town and Agatha handled it all. No problem. I just came home to a different house when I got back from my trip.

Easy as pie. :rofl:

Easy for you:D. Let's hear Agatha's slant on the ease of that move.:hairraise:

Should have moved to the state of Washington. Your car would have been exempt from the use tax if you had owned it for at least 6 months. Now, your airplane would have been subject to the same runaround. "Essential" vs. "Non-essential" transportation is the way they look at it. How they can possibly say an airplane is "non-essential" is beyond me, but they took the same view of my boat and RV when we moved here a little over 11 years ago. Fortunately I could show where I had paid the taxes (at the same rates) in California.

Moving is a pain in the neck. I hope not to do it again.

The better half and I are getting ready to get a house and move in together from our separate apartments within the next few months. After two weekends of house shopping (three for her) we're just ready for this whole thing to be over with and just get on with living there. We haven't even started the actual moving process yet... that should be fun.

Back