I had to do it. . . .

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
I bought a kneeboard strap for my Ipad. It was rediculously expensive for what you get. I feel like I need to take a shower. Why are they so expensive?

I guess I already know the answer. I'm just ranting. :(

Because people will pay the price,magic word I Pad.

Because people will pay the price,magic word I Pad.

But this is a STRAP.

All tablets are basically 7 inches or 10 inches, and there is some slop in the strap. So, for a full sized iPad, pick up a 10 inch tablet strap and call it good.

Cases may be different due to camera placement and the various buttons. But this is a strap!

I had been using a leg mount/strap setup but I did a long XC with my wife (almost 300nm each way) last weekend and finally used the suction cup mount to the front passenger glass for the first time. Man, I really liked that.

We have a Stratus so it's nice to just keep the iPad on all the time which I really had never done before - and even with it on for the duration I still had half the battery left by the time we arrived. With the Stratus you'll see the green dots flicker meaning the METAR's were updated via ADS-B...nice to be able to keep your eyes up and out while just using one hand to click an airport and get info, etc... It was also nice to have the moving map up there so I could use it to keep my wife kinda occupied...I'd point to something on the map and ask her to find it outside or vice-versa. She also liked seeing the ETA, etc... on ForeFlight.

I'd highly recommend going that route if you haven't tried it - definitely something I'll be doing more of in the future.

Attachments

• nightflying1.jpg
    nightflying1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Aviation + Apple = Expensive squared
I wouldn't go that far. I think EFB tablets are a pretty good deal. Some of the accessories though...

But aviation has always attracted expense, often with are less utility.

My all-time favorite remains the stick-on landing gear handle for fixed gear airplanes. You know, the one Sportys used to carry that taught pilots that when you forget to use it, nothing bad happens?

But this is a STRAP.

All tablets are basically 7 inches or 10 inches, and there is some slop in the strap. So, for a full sized iPad, pick up a 10 inch tablet strap and call it good.

Cases may be different due to camera placement and the various buttons. But this is a strap!

It's a combo strap with case that has a flip-up clip board.

The Tobago has an arm and a clamp (RAM), so no strap for me. Still learning paper, so the iPad isn't always used, although we did some flying with Garmin Pilot the other weekend. My problem if I did go to a strap would be polarization - my sunglasses and the iPad in "vertical" don't work. Not an issue with the RAM mount, it actually works out better horizontal - but if I used it in another plane, all the "kneeboard" type straps run vertical. Full size iPad.

I'd love to find a beautiful redhead to hold my iPad, but I think that would be more expensive than any strap I could ever buy!! :D:D

I had been using a leg mount/strap setup but I did a long XC with my wife (almost 300nm each way) last weekend and finally used the suction cup mount to the front passenger glass for the first time. Man, I really liked that.

We have a Stratus so it's nice to just keep the iPad on all the time which I really had never done before - and even with it on for the duration I still had half the battery left by the time we arrived. With the Stratus you'll see the green dots flicker meaning the METAR's were updated via ADS-B...nice to be able to keep your eyes up and out while just using one hand to click an airport and get info, etc... It was also nice to have the moving map up there so I could use it to keep my wife kinda occupied...I'd point to something on the map and ask her to find it outside or vice-versa. She also liked seeing the ETA, etc... on ForeFlight.

I'd highly recommend going that route if you haven't tried it - definitely something I'll be doing more of in the future.

:nono: Nice way to block 1/2 of the right side traffic observation area. :nono:

I can see just fine around it...and I pull it off when I've got my destination airport in sight and start the landing process so I can get full visibility not only in the pattern but during landing as well. Worked pretty well for me.

Have you seen anything for Aviation that was cheep?

I had mine created for $0.89 for elastic band & free pieces of Velcro excess that I had. Took lovely lady just 15 mins. OK, I did take her out for dinner that night. Sometimes, a little common sense goes a long ways.

Dale

Back