I had heard of it but never actually heard it... "Meow"

Fly around NY/BOS and you’ll hear it lol

Kent, no fricking kidding.

Grow up, People.

Act like the professionals you want to be, for Pete’s sake.

Present company excluded.

It’s annoying, but so are the guard police, I mean out of all of the things, I don’t really care as long as you’re not blocking a mayday, which I’ve never heard of happening.

Fly around NY/BOS and you’ll hear it lol

It’s annoying, but so are the guard police, I mean out of all of the things, I don’t really care as long as you’re not blocking a mayday, which I’ve never heard of happening.

im not sure, but feel like I maybe know what the guard police are. In my company every now and then someone sends a personal, or limited email to “all” which is like over a hundred thousand recipients.
Invariably, others then send a “reply all” message, condemning the person, but at the same time sending to all.THEN comes the others condemning the persons condemning the person, and on and on it goes. Usually takes three or four days to end. Meanwhile we silent folk have to keep reading each email.

It always reminds me of a zen story about three monks taking vows of silence. They are washing up the bowls of rice after dinner, the first one drops a bowl which goes to pieces, and says “damn, I broke the bowl” and the next one chimes in “idiot, now you’ve broken your vow of silence!” While the third says, self righteously, “I’m the only one that hasn’t broken the vow!”

Now, guard is so messed up with meows and guard police it's damn near useless. I even heard a plane with an actual emergency who made a benign-sounding radio call to ATC only to be jumped on by the guard police. Once everyone stopped saying "GUAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRD!" he said "I'M ON FIRE!"

So, whatever you do, don't be the ******* on guard. STFU.

Agreed ... think most of the "chatter" is from the airline guys. Most of my flights are XC and I have 121.5 on Comm2. I get a LOT of request from ABQ CTR to relay and sometimes to try a relay over 121.5. Have never heard a meow yet in west Texas.

I haven't heard it either. Maybe it's an eastern half of the country thing.

Am guessing it probably is ....

Do I look like a cat to you boy?

Agreed ... think most of the "chatter" is from the airline guys. Most of my flights are XC and I have 121.5 on Comm2. I get a LOT of request from ABQ CTR to relay and sometimes to try a relay over 121.5. Have never heard a meow yet in west Texas.

Am guessing it probably is ....

If it is from airline guys, aren’t they taking a big risk since they have flight recorders, cockpit voice recordings?
Do they ever review them when not an incident. Seems like that would be pretty risky behavior. Easy to get caught.

I think there's a huge difference between saying something silly on the radio in an area where there's very little radio traffic vs an area where the radio is quiet less than it's active.

I hear the sports score requests occasionally locally, I've also heard a guy somewhere near us on 122.8 who keeps using the phrase "switching to guns" while in the pattern. They're not hurting anyone since it's normally pretty quiet on frequency here. Now, if you were on a center a CTAF somewhere that people had trouble finding dead air to get their radio calls out on that's pretty hardcore donkey hole behavior.

Just use common sense and for the love of god whether dicking around or doing legitimate aviation related communications.... LEAVE A BREAK IN THE RADIO TRAFFIC FOR A SECOND FOR ANYONE WHO MAY NEED TO CALL IN.

Can you imagine the families reaction if their was a crash and the CVR revealed the pilots were barking on the radio before the crash.

I blame the internet. Everyone facebooks or tweets every time they fart. scratch their left nut, or whatever. It’s spilling over into other aspects of life, including 121.5.

Back