I guess it really can happen to you!

Nice job. Congrats to her for a fine job!

I like the caption in the last picture, made it all the way back to the left aileron eh? I swore those were in a different spot. :)

Good for her for staying calm and flying the plane.

Congratulations to you both. Very nice write-up. I noticed the "oil all the way to the left aileron" -- you know, the one in the back next to the tail.

"I didn't have a horn, I couldn't honk....."

I've got, I need an airhorn!
Seriously good job!

Good job on getting it down safely.

So tell us what you can about the cylinder coming apart? Where was the break, brand, other indications like compressions, etc?

I've got, I need an airhorn!

Should have bought an older Beech with the 'ramp hailer' and a whistle :)

Congrats on the successful landing. Plane reusable, nobody hurt ---> success.

Good job on getting it down safely.

So tell us what you can about the cylinder coming apart? Where was the break, brand, other indications like compressions, etc?

There was a hole right at the top center of the #4 cylinder. But the hole appeared dry. We have not taken it apart yet so we are not sure if there is another hole down lower where the 6 qts of oil may have escaped from. At the annual 3 weeks ago, compression was 75/80 76/80 75/80 76/80. There was a little oil on each spark plug but nothing looked seriously wrong. We debated an engine rebuild due to using a lot oil (about 1 qt every 2 hours or so), but we decided to put it off for a bit.

Great job.

I like the caption in the last picture, made it all the way back to the left aileron eh? I swore those were in a different spot. :)

Good for her for staying calm and flying the plane.

Congratulations to you both. Very nice write-up. I noticed the "oil all the way to the left aileron" -- you know, the one in the back next to the tail.

Someone must have said something, because the web story now says "elevator". :D

Cool under pressure... nice work!

Great job, you can't ask for a better outcome. And the paper did a decent job on the story.

Makes the decision on what to do with the plane easier, too. Wasn't the #4 cylinder the one you were saying was running hot?

Nice treatment in the paper, both of your wife and GA. No wild accusations, no sensationalism. And a fine job by you wife for getting down safely.

Great job, you can't ask for a better outcome. And the paper did a decent job on the story.

Makes the decision on what to do with the plane easier, too. Wasn't the #4 cylinder the one you were saying was running hot?

Yep. And if I replace the engine I am probably going to keep her for a long time, so that may make the avionics question easier too. In fact, if I replace the engine, then I may go farther than the 430W and new audio panel. I may a glass PFD too.
(edited to add quote for reference)

Last edited:
Congratulations to your wife for staying calm and making a safe landing....especially under those circumstances. :thumbsup: I'm glad to hear that you both are okay. :yes:

Now I either have to rebuild or replace the engine. If the crankcase and shaft are hosed I am told that a rebuild will be about as much as a replacement. (About $34,000). In the brief conversation I had with the mechanic, he didn't say if that was another Pen Yan or something else.

Does that sound about right to replace a PenYan O360 180hp engine? What other options might I have? Is there any way to put in a fuel injected engine instead of carbureted? (1977 Cessna 172n).

I don't see a lot of good looking fields in the area where you two set down...

Yeah no kidding. I fly in and out of Flagler from time to time, and the area East of the airport there is one of my least favorite places to be, while in the traffic pattern.

But, the important thing is that no one got hurt, well done. A plus is the plane survived to live on.

Some of you may remember how proud I said I was of my wife. Here is an example of why. She saved my life yesterday.

http://flaglerlive.com/4385/plane-lands-on-state-road-100

John

Outstanding! Give her a hug from Mary and me -- she's successfully survived every pilot's "worst-case-scenario"...

So tell us...were you at ALL tempted to take the controls? I remember when Mary was a new pilot, wondering what I would/should do if an emergency arose while she was flying. Thankfully, I never had to make that call...

Now I either have to rebuild or replace the engine. If the crankcase and shaft are hosed I am told that a rebuild will be about as much as a replacement. (About $34,000). In the brief conversation I had with the mechanic, he didn't say if that was another Pen Yan or something else.

Does that sound about right to replace a PenYan O360 180hp engine? What other options might I have? Is there any way to put in a fuel injected engine instead of carbureted? (1977 Cessna 172n).

34 AMUs for a 4-cylinder, 180-HP Lycosaur engine sounds on the high side of the market right now.

John tell us about the info before the flight if you don't care. Did the engine sound fine during run up? How about engine monitoring, any info on that, temps, etc.. What was the comp. on cylinder during annual? How many hours on the engine?

Congrats on a job well done.

John tell us about the info before the flight if you don't care. Did the engine sound fine during run up? How about engine monitoring, any info on that, temps, etc.. What was the comp. on cylinder during annual? How many hours on the engine?

Congrats on a job well done.

The pre-flight was completely normal. If anything even better than usual. We just had our annual 6.9 (tach) hours ago. We flew to Everglades City after that (across the everglades and over Lake Okeechobee).

On the pre-flight we had 5.5 qts of oil and I added 1 more. We pumped the primer 3 times as usual and it fired up almost immediately (that was the part that was better than usual, it usually takes a few seconds and maybe two tries to start after a week layoff). Oil pressure was fine, vacuum, ammeter all good. Run-up, mag check etc were good.

This engine does have a history though, which I have posted before. It has about 1700 SMOH. (Penn Yan 180 upgrade, 25 years ago). It would use about 1 qt of oil every 1.5 or 2 hours; within spec, but still high oil burn. CHT on #4 would rise to over 420 on initial climb, but always settled down as soon as we would level off, usually at 1000 ft because we KOMN is within Daytona's Class Charlie outer ring. After that it was alwasy fine. She would always climb fast, even with four big people and full fuel.

This trip, #4 CHT didn't get as hot as usual on initial climb (maybe 400, but it settled right down to about 380 pretty quickly after leveling off). We were then cleared for frequency change and we requested flight following and received clearance to climb to 3500. After a few minutes I noticed the engine monitor reporting #1 CHT at 400, which it has never reached before and my wife said she didn't seem to have power to climb normally. About then DAB ATC called and asked why we were not climbing. We reported lack of power and engine heat and told them we were going to attempt to return to KOMN even though KXFL was 5 minutes closer. But then the engine started banging so we declared an emergency and headed to KXFL. Then the engine quit and after a few seconds glide we determined we probably wouldn't make the runway so we picked out a highway and told ATC where were going. The landing would have been perfect except for that darn red pickup truck that seemed to be racing us so we had to flare and drop to the left (to avoid the power lines on the right). The bounce put us in the median and up on the other side of the divided highway into oncoming traffic. Traffic on that side was much more cooperative and they all stopped well in front of us so the only air frame damage was a superficial ding on the leading edge of the left wing from a road sign that jumped out at us.

Cops, fire trucks, ambulances, the KXFL airport manager. a couple of linesman and the owner of the maintenance shop were on site within minutes. They hooked Lima (N426HL) up to a tow bar behind a pickup truck and towed her back to the airport.

The worst parts of the whole day were the 30 seconds that the engine was banging, before it quit, and the time we had to spend waiting for FSDO to arrive and then the interview and inspection. But they were very nice. It seemed to help that we attend flight safety meetings monthly and participate in FAASAFETY.GOV wings program.

They did take my all my maintenance records and logs but I posted the compression ratios, as best as I could remember them, in post #9.

All in all, we feel very lucky. Training and practice payed off. We almost never took a flight where wouldn't find some random time to ask the other what we would do if we lost an engine right then. But practice doesn't tell you how you will react in a real emergency. But as it turns out, if you follow your training you don't have time to panic. We just worked as a team the way we practiced. In answer to a previous question, NO, I never even thought about taking the controls from Leslie. She was doing everything by the book.

This weekend we had to look for things to do because we couldn't fly so we did a little landscaping in the yard. My birthday is in 4 weeks and we were planning a trip. I am hoping we can get back up by then, but that may be pushing it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to write a book.

Thank you for the info. Great way to learn.

Very happy all were safe.

I don't know about the price, but we have the PenYann O-360 in our club's C-172N and replaced it a few years ago with another one. Sure like the performance and extra load capacity. I don't think I'd change a thing.

The article called you a lucky couple. Funny how those that cite luck never discuss the many hours of work and preparation to make that "luck".

BZ- even though I'm several months old on the post (searching for something else, came across this thread).

Great job!! So much of that is skill...but a touch of luck!

Nice treatment in the paper, both of your wife and GA. No wild accusations, no sensationalism. And a fine job by you wife for getting down safely.

Well other than the "USAir 1549" comment... they didn't hit an entire flock of geese... and it wasn't a water landing. ;)

That one was a bit over the top.

But anyway...

GREAT JOB! Glad you're both still here to tell the tale, and the left wing looks repairable at first look, too!

And once again, someone revived an old thread and I'm replying like an idiot, months later.

I need to go set that "don't show old threads beyond X date" setting I found the other night...

Oh well.

Congrats to both of you! Great job!

With both being pilots, was there ever the urge to jump in on the controls as a copilot?

I've read stories where the passenger was a more experienced pilot and assumed he would take control in an emergency and the pilot and passenger fought for control the whole way to the scene of the crash.

Nice job - glad to see an emergency resolve in good results.

Wait, isn't that what the stall horn is for?

"The engine stalled! Honk the stall horn!" :D

Just wondering why this one is not listed in the NTSB files?

I notice a significant crease about mid-span on the left wing leading edge - signpost?

Back