I got to play with FIRE! *long*

Earthroamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Earthroamer
We had our annual fire show for FAR135 regs here in Tulsa. We involved the local fire department on the field. They set a couple of fires with simulated Jet-A in a half barrel. We used different types of extinguishers to see how they would deal with the little emergency. They also showed some power point presentations on aircraft fires that were set on purpose and some that were not. It was really pretty informative. They covered issues like the toxic gas's that will most likely kill rather than some of the smoke, etc. Basically, we learned a little bit more detail about compounds and reactions of different fires.

Three of us stayed to help clean up. Basically, we were bored and wanted to play some more with fire. We set another one and used the hose from the truck to make sure they had fresh water in the truck for next time. :) The Captian invited us to the station in the middle of the field for a tour. We gladly accepted. The station was pretty impressive. Considering it was built so close to the runway, it would have to withstand an airplane attack. :) However, they jokingly admitted the wash of probable Jet fuel will fill the station.

At the station we talked about some pilot issues that they want to be aware of. You can request, if you have time, to talk to the fire department on frequency. Tower will make that happen for you. Most common response to, How much fuel do you have? Is the answer of hours. That doesn't really help them much. I started laughing but he insisted that most pilots are in that thinking mode and not gallons. If it was a gear up landing or or one landing gear problem, it matters which side of the field they are lined up on. They had video's of aircraft almost hitting the trucks waiting on them b/c they had lined up on the wrong side.

I also didn't know that they had to know for each type of aircraft things like: how much fuel is max on board, how to kill the engines, how to stop the fuel, how to disconnect the batteries, where are the oxygen bottles, etc. I knew these guys know how to board the planes but I didn't think they had the detailed knowledge of those types of operations.

Then we took a look at the fire trucks. I immediately did my best "Tim the Tool Man" grunt. The guys started laughing. I am a huge truck fan. Super charged Detroit Diesels! Massive Tires! Turret guns for water! I was in heaven. They let me climb all over it! Finally, they knew I was hooked and ask the question....Ya wanna go for a spin? In my best grunt, "Ahhhhh yeaahhhh!" The driver sits in the middle of the truck and there are two seats on each side. The truck is made to be driven and operated by one man if it had to be. I knew the tower guy and he gave us clearance to run down Taxiway E at TUL. The acceleration of that much weight was Awesome! You could feel the power of that awesome machine. Top speed was reached pretty quickly (60mph). One person (doesn't usually happen) can drive and use the sweeping gun in the front to sweep out fires while also using the Turret gun to fight other things. It will actually shoot out three different types of fluid and some at the same time.

As the tour was done. I called my wife to explain everything in detail to her. She was at work and all I heard was, "uhh huh, yeah honey, that was great." I was tired and had played hard! :)

Brent

That's crazy.
What is simulated Jet-A though?

Fortunately, I predate both of y’all, so the OP was able to lose a few brain cells from my nonsense before he parted ways.

One of my college buddies used to say "Fire is our Friend". That was before he burned out his dorm room.

Back