I got laid off

ajstoner21

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Welp, I was one of the unfortunate ones who got laid off this past week. I got walked out on Thursday.

I was the sole provider for my little family (wife and pets). My wife was trying to go back to school.

Needless to say, I have to make extreme cuts to make my severance last as long as possible, while I look for new jobs.

I have done all of the "obvious" things. I am making extreme spending cuts, I have applied for unemployment benefits, I have been updating my resume, and have started the tedious process of searching for a new job.

I suppose I can really try to pick up free-lance ground instructing in the mean time.

My Linkedin profile is here:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-stoner/3a/93/540

If you are genuinely interested, I can send you my resume.

If anyone has any good leads of a structural engineering (aerospace/mechanical engineer) position in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area, I would greatly appreciate it. I know Aviation is a somewhat small world.

Good luck.

The good news is that things are turning around. The bad news, of course, is that doesn't help much right now. Keep us posted.

Apply to the FAA for the DER / DAR

are you a aerospace engineer?

I know where a commissioned sales job can bee found.

John Davis over at Hicks is an Aero Engineer for LockMar. He might have a network lead.

Sorry to hear that Andrew. Can't help you in Tx but I do know some engineers at Boeing here in the Philly area. I think it's mostly chinook and Osprey work. I'd be happy to pass on the resume if relocation is an option.

Andrew,

I am really sorry you have joined the ranks of the laid off. I know it is pretty raw right now and it will take some time for that to subside. I know it doesn't sound very helpful right now, but even in this difficult time, well-qualified and ambitious people will land on their feet after this forced change. Hell, even I survived it a few times.

You already have a new job: using all your talents, skills, connections and abilities to find a new position, one better than what you had, and one that moves you along your dream path. You have already started here, but networking is the key to finding what you want and knowing what you want is often a bigger challenge than most think.

Good luck.
Scott

Tom, Yes I am an aerospace engineer. I briefly looked at the requirements for DER/DAR, and I am not sure I have the work experience for that. I will look at it again though, thanks for the suggestion!

Tom, Yes I am an aerospace engineer. I briefly looked at the requirements for DER/DAR, and I am not sure I have the work experience for that. I will look at it again though, thanks for the suggestion!

YAVW, it is something that you can do while being employed else where.

Andrew,you might be interested, Mooney is accepting resumes for structural engineers on their website. Good luck with your job search.

Andrew,

You're in the DFW area if I read your LinkedIn profile correctly. I'm sure you know there's a lot of aeronautical stuff nearby, from L3's operation up at Greenville to Raytheon's stuff in McKinney and Richardson. And various other things nearby.

Happy to help any way I can - your skills and background should position you well for some of the operations nearby.

Bill

If you would be willing to relocate to North East Florida I can probably find a structures position for you working on Navy TH-57 Fleet Support Team (Bell 206). You would likely have to work on other aircraft as well but given your Bell background you will probably see a lot of helo work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So sorry to hear that Andrew. Hang in there. Something better will come along. I will keep you in my prayers. Years ago the same thing happen to me.

I used to speak pejoratively about the volatile and fickle nature of airline work as a professional choice when compared to pedestrian jobs like engineering. Then I got two degrees in aerospace engineering to end up getting shotgun-blasted in the face with similar job volatility. Talk about pie in the face. Your present outcome is the reason I ran away from that industry.

The fact of the matter is that for those who intend on making a long-term living as aerospace engineers, nomadism and de facto freelance employment is a fact of life. If that's not compatible with your family or personal life goals, then this is going to be a recurring problem. Moving is a fact of life IMO in aerospace work. Now, if you're not married to the 'aerospace' prefix on your job, then you can find a lot more homestead friendly variations of engineering work in the DFW area.

You are quite literally at a cross roads in your professional life. Forget the next job, you need to figure out what kind of lifestyle you're shooting for in the next 20 years of your professional life. That will define the kind of jobs you go after in the future.

The good news is you got marketable skills which are translatable outside of aerospace. And most importantly, you have extremely relevant recency of experience; all I got to show for that vocation is 10 year old degrees with no experience, which combined with a $1.20 would get me a cup o coffee... or a level I engineer 35K/yr "data babysitting" job at Lockmart making said coffee. I think you'll be alright. Good luck to you.

Layoffs suck. Sorry to hear man. I've been laid off enough that I don't consider any job stable anywhere anymore. Hopefully you don't have to relocate.

That's too bad. It does look like you have a good back ground going for you.

Hang in there. The good news is that the DFW area is pretty hot. You have a good chance of finding employment here, and I hope it happens quickly.

Hey there's always a bright side... At least you aren't this guy...

ezuhybag.jpg

:) :) :)

Sorry to hear that. Hang in there. Believe in yourself. Ask for help and network. Wish I knew of some opportunities in your area, but I'm from Chicago.

I had the same thing happen to me 3 years ago this May from a company of the same conglomerate you used to work for. It stung at the time, however it's proven to be a great thing to have happened long term. The severance wasn't bad and unemployment isn't great, but definitely helps.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear Andrew. Bill mentioned it already, but I'd suggest looking into L3 at GVT. Both of my Brothers in Law work there. Business has been doing well.

BTDT, you're doing the right thing by aggressively axing expenses. I've seen people continue to spend like they were employed (have to keep that image up, you know) and eat thru their 401k.

Be wise and diligent and you'll land on your feet quickly. Good luck and God bless.

Oh well. Looks like the Internet is more and more useless every day, as expected. Heh.

Andrew, send me your resume via PM, my company (we are an engineering services provider) has an office in the DFW area and I'll forward it to the Site Director there, no promises but it's a start.

'Gimp

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I know in the end, when I find a new job, I'll look back and realize this was a great opportunity and the push I needed.

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I know in the end, when I find a new job, I'll look back and realize this was a great opportunity and the push I needed.

...And I bet it is soon, too. But it ain't no fun in the meantime, is it?

---

Are you wedded to aerospace?

Sounds like you have an excellent background. It's nervewracking but you may wind up with something even better. That happens! Best of luck. Been there.

Honestly, I wouldn't relocate. You are in the perfect area for jobs - both Dallas and Denver are loaded with jobs right now. No reason to leave if the jobs are there.

Good luck, and I'm sorry you got laid off, man.

Hang in there....it's still not uncommon in the current precarious economy. But good folks ultimately survive, then thrive. Good luck!

Honestly, I wouldn't relocate. You are in the perfect area for jobs - both Dallas and Denver are loaded with jobs right now. No reason to leave if the jobs are there.

Good luck, and I'm sorry you got laid off, man.
Then why can't I find a job in the Denver area?

That is a very good attitude to have.
Just think how good the new job you WILL find will be.

I was once unemployed for 7 months after a lay-off - I work in the high tech industry in the Silicon Valley.
A friend of mine, more senior, Ph.D., same industry was once out of a job for 13 months.

So don't get discouraged by not finding a job very quickly.

I was once unemployed for 7 months after a lay-off - I work in the high tech industry in the Silicon Valley.
A friend of mine, more senior, Ph.D., same industry was once out of a job for 13 months.

So don't get discouraged by not finding a job very quickly.

I did a year once after the Dot Bomb destruction in 2001. They said back then the rule of thumb was a month for every $10K in salary you were hunting for if you weren't willing to relocate.

Part of the year was spent being discouraged instead of pounding the pavement harder.

I almost congratulated you. I didn't see the word "Off" in the thread title initially.

Sorry to hear about it. Sux.
Hopefully you will find something quickly.

Back