I got laid off

Im not going to start saying bad things about where I used to work, but working somewhere else has been eye opening.

I worked at my last job right out of college in 2009 till earlier this year. It was my only professional experience. Now, I'm learning a ton of new ways to do things. Very eye opening to see how other companies do things.

Im definitely gaining some valuable experience now.

It's a start!

20 years from now you'll know how to get things done *in spite of* whatever the job place decides is the "new way" of doing things.

:)

Congrats on the new job!!

And to piggyback a "me too" -- I was just today offered a lectureship at a small private university in Vermont not far from Montpelier. There will also be an opportunity to move into a tenure-track position next year when a faculty line opens up due to retirement, assuming everything goes well this year.

Another positive: I won't have to sell my plane just yet. I'm on the waiting list for space in the communal hangar at KMPV. The manager expects to have room for me come August, and the rates sound reasonable too.

And to piggyback a "me too" -- I was just today offered a lectureship at a small private university in Vermont not far from Montpelier. There will also be an opportunity to move into a tenure-track position next year when a faculty line opens up due to retirement, assuming everything goes well this year.

Another positive: I won't have to sell my plane just yet. I'm on the waiting list for space in the communal hangar at KMPV. The manager expects to have room for me come August, and the rates sound reasonable too.

Congratulations! That's got to be a relief.

Congrats to both. While no one likes the upset it is good to be on track again.

Congratulations, Liz!
Seems like VT will be a great place for you ... New flying adventures to be had and hikes to be taken! :)

Congrats! Sounds like a good move for you. And Vermont is very nice - my family is from New England.

I learned that I'll be losing my job next week - budget cutbacks. The perils of my current industry. I'm probably going to shift gears a bit & change industries (unless, of course, someone comes along and offers me significant money). I will most likely sell the plane, though.

Congrats! Sounds like a good move for you. And Vermont is very nice - my family is from New England.
I fell in love with the place as soon as I landed at Middlebury. And I had a rental car, so driving around the Montpelier area just clinched my feelings.

I learned that I'll be losing my job next week - budget cutbacks. The perils of my current industry. I'm probably going to shift gears a bit & change industries (unless, of course, someone comes along and offers me significant money). I will most likely sell the plane, though.
Oh no... :( That really sucks, Bill. I hope your transition period doesn't last too long. Being unemployed is never fun. :(

I don't know if there are any openings in the structures group, but you might try FedEx Express (that's the OPCO with the larger aircraft).

I fell in love with the place as soon as I landed at Middlebury. And I had a rental car, so driving around the Montpelier area just clinched my feelings.

And then there's Ben & Jerry's... :) . It really is a beautiful area. My maternal grandparents were from that part of the world (on the NH side of the border), so I have great affinity.

Oh no... :( That really sucks, Bill. I hope your transition period doesn't last too long. Being unemployed is never fun. :(

Thank you!

Yeah, it's not fun, but not totally unexpected given the environment and certain things that are occurring internally. I hoped to avoid the layoff, but that's not happening. Fortunately, I've made a point of building a cash-cushion which will give me a little time.

I am also fortunate to have built a pretty good network & have friends that are being quite helpful, and I put feelers out right away. I am quite hopeful that something will turn up soon. I may do the consulting thing again as I love working with others and mentoring/teaching folks rather than the traditional consulting model. Also keeping eyes open for company to buy.

(Warning: personal ad follows): Always looking for new ideas if anyone has any - my Linked-in page gives a bit on my background.

Enjoy your new job - it really sounds great!

Back