I got a DJI Phantom 3 Drone. What is my outlook on these things now?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I just got one of these things. A DJI Phantom 3. I couldn't stand the thought of them being in the sky with me as a pilot, so I figured I better give it a shot and see if my opinion changes.

I registered it with the FAA, which I have to say was a little intimidating even for me as a pilot. It did make me feel like they know who I am now and I really do need to follow the rules.

I took it outside and fired it up. 1st impression. "WOW!!, this is badass!". It hauls ass and covers some ground. After flying across some farm land we own and checking some buildings out, I headed back and was amazed at just how easy it was to operate.

Second flight, I had the biggest urge to fly higher. I took it up higher, but below the FAA limit of 400' AGL. I thought, that's cool. But being a pilot, and being used to flying much higher, all I wanted to do was go higher. It is very hard to fight that urge to go higher. I thought, I wonder what happens if I do go up to 400' AGL. So I go back up and the damn things stops going up and says "Maximum Altitude Reached" or something like that. I check out the view from the Iphone and then look to see where the hell the done is. I cant find it anywhere in the sky. This "keep the drone in visual range" stuff is nonsense. Nobody is going to follow that rule. So, I hit the return to home function and it flew right back to me and landed.

I go inside the house and google that Max Altitude warning/limit only to find it can easily be removed with a few settings in the app then agree to not break any rules. (well, isn't going above 400' AGL breaking a rule??). I'm not going to mess with it, but I can see most of the consumers for these saying the hell with it and blasting up to 1650' AGL and flying a couple miles from home. I think the manufactures should be forced to limit the altitude.

My initial opinion of these drones is the same. Very cool technology, but I don't want them in the sky near me in my airplane. I guarantee there will be an incident and with the 100's of thousands of these selling, it may be sooner than later.

The problem is that you can legally operate them above 400' AGL if you have a specific waiver to do so. So, the manufacturer doesn't want to neuter the drone completely given that the FAA has not yet finalized their operating rules for UAS. Of course, this stuff is all controlled by firmware so it's possible that eventually you'll have to show proof you have authorization before it will unlock that ability. But as you point out, that just keeps the honest people honest.

Congrats on purchasing you first drone. They are addicting. Now be responsible and join Academy Model Aeronautics and fly by the safety code of conduct.

Does the AMA still include a million $ insurance coverage if you join?
First thing I'd do.

So should real airplane manufacturers be subject to the same "forced" limitations?

So should drones be held to the same certification standards as real airplanes?

Should drone pilots have to meet the same training standards as real airplane pilots?

Does the AMA still include a million $ insurance coverage if you join?
First thing I'd do.

Used to be, you had to fly at an AMA sanctioned field to be covered. In my dozen or so years of flying RC, I think I flew at a sanctioned field exactly once.

Maybe with drones being VTOL, that stipulation has been removed? :dunno:

Here's a guy within 3.7mi of the Oroville airport going into the cloud deck that was 1200' that day He was just out playing with his new toy so he could post the video on Facebook for all to enjoy.. TPA is 1,000' at KOVE

Last edited:
I see these things in the same light as jet ski. The early standup versions were a niche item as they required some skill but once the sit down versions showed up every body wanted one. The new operators new nothing about boating rules of the road and created a hostile backlash from the boating public. They were banned in many national parks. But after a while the fad faded. They were hard to fix. Did not really serve a purpose except to go fast. Now, I hardley ever see one anywhere. My redneck brother in law has two, broken sitting in his driveway. The last time they ran was over five years ago. Drones are another fad. Aside from taking a few aerial pics what else do they do? As for the Google drones, if they ever get it to work, I suspect that they will get banned in a few communities.

The 400 ft limit is not regulatory. It's guidance from the AC and not in public law 112-95. Even the AMA supports flight above 400 ft if you have an observer. Just have to use common sense. I fly my aircraft at the local airport. Notify the airport manager, stay away from manned aircraft and you're good.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 85
Jason, how do you like the video quality of the Phantom 3? I'm thinking about picking one up for videography.

The 400 ft limit is not regulatory. It's guidance from the AC and not in public law 112-95. Even the AMA supports flight above 400 ft if you have an observer. Just have to use common sense. I fly my aircraft at the local airport. Notify the airport manager, stay away from manned aircraft and you're good.

Love it, actual jet engine or electric turbo fan?

Jason, how do you like the video quality of the Phantom 3? I'm thinking about picking one up for videography.

Love it, actual jet engine or electric turbo fan?

Electric. Haven't flown this one yet. Have some reciever issues and I'm trying to fly some others (A-10, A-6) first. As you can see, she's pretty fast for an electric ducted fan.

http://youtu.be/_n3Oe4jVw3k

I see these things in the same light as jet ski. The early standup versions were a niche item as they required some skill but once the sit down versions showed up every body wanted one. The new operators new nothing about boating rules of the road and created a hostile backlash from the boating public. They were banned in many national parks. But after a while the fad faded. They were hard to fix. Did not really serve a purpose except to go fast. Now, I hardly ever see one anywhere. My redneck brother in law has two, broken sitting in his driveway. The last time they ran was over five years ago. Drones are another fad. Aside from taking a few aerial pics what else do they do? As for the Google drones, if they ever get it to work, I suspect that they will get banned in a few communities.

I still see plenty of people on jet skis. :dunno: They serve a purpose, and are very low-maintenance. Sure, there are lots of old, broken ones around, but that goes the same as any marine equipment. Jet skis are great if you only need to run around by yourself or with one other person. Shallow water? No problem. Need to get there quick? No problem. Need to stay dry? Well, good luck, there's some techniques can use in chop, but just plan on getting moderately soaked. :)

The problem of not knowing the rules of boating (local or USCG) is not unique to jet ski owners. It's just that you notice the jet skiers more often. There are just as many boat owners who don't know what "no wake" buoys mean, nor do they understand boating safety (blowers, towing skiers/boats, when to use anchor/nav lights, etc). The only thing jet skis added to the situation was the increased ability to tow with a Honda Civic and a low entry cost.

The only thing jet skis added to the situation was the increased ability to tow with a Honda Civic and a low entry cost.

Well that, and they're just fun. I can't justify buying one, but I rent one for a few hours every now and then.

Seems pretty good to me. On par with my gopro hero 4. The included camera/gimbal setup is very stable. I have the standard model and really would have no use for video or pictures in any higher resolution than it will do. I guess time will tell as I only have a few flights on it so far. Took it out today in winds 21 Gusting 29 Knots. It was definitely struggling to hover, but it was controllable with a little helpful inputs from me. Pretty amazing for such a little thing to be able to fight that kind of wind, jumping around and do video footage fairly smooth.

This. The DJI Phantom 3 is $700 to $1100+.

There are hundreds of thousands of drones out there, yes, but they are not all fancy-pants DJI Phantoms with return to home feature. How many of them have apps with real-time video? How many even have a way to determine altitude for the user?

I actually don't know.

I agree that many users will ignore the rules. These will eventually cause problems - privacy, airspace, personal injury and property damage. 400' AGL limit doesn't guarantee safety if these are flown near airports and geofencing is a non-starter for the lower end drones.

How does the FAA verify that the registration information is even accurate?

My wife wanted to buy me one. I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on something I really don't what I would use it for. I can see it being fun the first few times, then what? I would have a $1000 addition to the stuff I don't use pile.

How quiet is the Phantom at, say, tree top height? (50' ish) 100'?

I'm curious if my bro and I could use it to scout for hogs on his deer lease.

I was at Microcenter a few days before Christmas and they had hundreds of drones for sale. I can't help wondering how crowded the skies are going to get with them. I can only imagine the lack knowledge possessed by the recipients of the gift drones.

The FAA wants us to register these things but you don't even have to be 18 to fly or buy them (AFAIK). What are they going to do, arrest a 12 year old?

Used to be, you had to fly at an AMA sanctioned field to be covered. In my dozen or so years of flying RC, I think I flew at a sanctioned field exactly once.

Maybe with drones being VTOL, that stipulation has been removed? :dunno:

You do not have to be flying at an AMA field to be covered. Just flying within the AMA safety code and you will be covered.

Well that, and they're just fun. I can't justify buying one, but I rent one for a few hours every now and then.

i cant justify having one either, but I still have one. truth be told, I cant justify owning one airplane let alone two but I still do.

bob

The FAA wants us to register these things but you don't even have to be 18 to fly or buy them (AFAIK). What are they going to do, arrest a 12 year old?

Well, AFAIK FAA doesn't have arrest authori-tah, but I'm sure there's some bureaucrat somewhere who's wet dream includes such.

You guys are complaining about spending $1100 for a Drone. LOL your killing me. How much do you spend on that airplane you own per month?

Um... less than that, actually. Especially now that we own the hangar.

You guys are complaining about spending $1100 for a Drone. LOL your killing me. How much do you spend on that airplane you own per month?

Yeah but I can't sit in it and fly to places in a drone. :goofy:

I would like to have one for the farm. Looking for hogs is an excellent idea.

What's the run time and range on one? If it has to be within sight the whole time, that isn't going to help us much.

People buy Drones for various reasons.

Me I'm a Hobbyist. I fly Quadcopters "Drones" of various sizes. I also fly fix wing.
I scratch build from plans and I have built from Kits. I also buy airplanes almost ready to fly meaning the airplane is 90% completed. Sure these drones are easy to fly because they are programmed that way. They can fly themselves with Return to home and land autonomously. What is the fun in that. Your just simply a spectator. If you are the hobbyist learn to fly the thing without the auto fly features. People will get bored with these drones and toss them on the shelves because they didn't take the time to learn to actually fly one.

Drones have opened a new world for Ariel photography and can be done cheaply. Say you want to get that Pilot in the cockpit view without paying thousands for Lessons. This can be done for less than $1,000 with First person view FPV equipment. The possibilities with drones are endless. Just be responsible for your actions just like anything else.

To answer the Question above. I get 30 minutes with one battery pack per flight. This depends on battery pack size, All Up Weight ect ect.

Flying without visual contact is possible with FPV.

Range depends on what transmitter and receiver is being used. My setup I can go 1.5 miles is possible with my largest Quadcopter line of sight. I'm sure further but I'm not going to push my luck.

Again be responsible!

Last edited:
Yeah but I can't sit in it and fly to places in a drone. :goofy:

I would like to have one for the farm. Looking for hogs is an excellent idea.

What's the run time and range on one? If it has to be within sight the whole time, that isn't going to help us much.

Well, actually...

Everyone always said they wanted personal hovercraft and now that we have them, they want Pandora's Box closed. Haha.

Congratulations - these are a lot of fun to fly and do aerial videoagrophy/photography.

I don't have what is often refered to as "drone", but have electric RC stuff like powered gliders and helicopters - I just like flying those much more than a "drone".

As soon as the FAA came out with its UAS registration demand, I modified some of my smaller/lighter RC heli to be grams less than the FAA's 1/4 Kg minimum weight. But I still have to register for the larger stuff (like the powered glider).

Anyways, enjoy your DJI. If what I've seen others do is any indication, the more you fly it, the more you'll enjoy it.

It's unfortunate than mankind made a wrong turn somehwere and lost common sense: both the average dude and governing agencies.

You do not have to be flying at an AMA field to be covered. Just flying within the AMA safety code and you will be covered.

I don't believe that's the way it was back in the '80's and '90's when I was big into it. I was a member, but always laughed that it really didn't do much for me.

Hmmmm...Eerily similar to today's AOPA membership! :)

The above video is an accident waiting to happen.
I'm sure that statement was said enough times to two brothers a (very many) few years back when they first started too. Heck, I'm sure if they had $1 for every time it was said they could have probably bought a new cirrus.

Here's a nice use for a drone; Just remember to register your leaf blower with your big brother!

Back