I flew east at 8,500' (and no one said anything)

Maybe we need a random offset from the magenta line. :yesnod:

I'm scared to use Direct-To because the other guy might be Direct-To also...they never shoulda put that button on a GPS. Think of all the people out there on Direct-To! It's madness!

I'm scared to use Direct-To because the other guy might be Direct-To also...they never shoulda put that button on a GPS. Think of all the people out there on Direct-To! It's madness!

Same thing happens in the boating, boats all using established waypoints.

I'm thinking if I just give up and drive some of you fools might run into me!

All I can say is.... I love the parody!!!!
Intentionally flying the incorrect altitude is flat out wrong. Besides, don't our imperfect altimeters and old settings do that for us?

Coming out of the SF Bay area last year, when I inadvertently selected the wrong VFR altitude for my direction of flight, the controller corrected me.

"wafdof" wrong altitude for direction of flight. Common, doesn't get me upset.
Does any vfr pilot still use exactly the 500' altitudes anymore? I didn't think it was done so much, as it funnels all aircraft into a thin layer whereas if you fly 100'-200' high or low might reduce risk a smidge.

That's always been my thinking when flying VFR. I tend to fly a little higher than 500' in Cessnas, and a little lower in Pipers.

I also try not to use gps in such a way that I'm right on the centerline of an airway if I can help it.

Noticed all the hot gas this post created! The rules are very simple but few want to follow them! No wonder the accidents are constant and mostly avoidable. Then add old worn out aircraft, lousy mechanics and cheap owners. Add some newly minted IFR types staggering around blind and it becomes a big .....WOW!

Noticed all the hot gas this post created! The rules are very simple but few want to follow them! No wonder the accidents are constant and mostly avoidable. Then add old worn out aircraft, lousy mechanics and cheap owners. Add some newly minted IFR types staggering around blind and it becomes a big .....WOW!

And this post wasn't the epitome of "hot gas"? LOL...

Sec. 91.159 — VFR cruising altitude or flight level.

Except while holding in a holding pattern of 2 minutes or less, or while turning, each person operating an aircraft under VFR in level cruising flight more than 3,000 feet above the surface shall maintain the appropriate altitude or flight level prescribed below, unless otherwise authorized by ATC:

(a) When operating below 18,000 feet MSL and—
(1) On a magnetic course of zero degrees through 179 degrees, any odd thousand foot MSL altitude +500 feet (such as 3,500, 5,500, or 7,500); or
(2) On a magnetic course of 180 degrees through 359 degrees, any even thousand foot MSL altitude +500 feet (such as 4,500, 6,500, or 8,500).

There you go...no harm, no foul.

On my last BFR the CFI told me that the local part 121 folks use the East/West rule from sea level up. A lot of the flyways they use here are along the coast/shore line. So I now use the East/West rule from sea level up.

It is not published just something the locals use. In the winter there is not a lot of traffic. When the tourists show up in the summer air traffic increases 5 to 10 times the winter traffic.

Everyone here also gives position reports with altitude. example "Funter Pass, 1.5, Gustavis" That is not published either.

IMO, this whole X+500 thing was invented to "automagically" give opposing traffic some measure of separation. Fact is, anytime anywhere somebody is going to be where you don't expect them to be, so I think the best advice is to simply get your head out of the cockpit and WATCH OUT FOR THEM!;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back