I finally saw the episode

Bonanza and Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color were early ones, but I don't recall the first.

"The Cisco Kid" in 1950. Filmed in color, but damn few, if any, saw it in color at that time.

What's interesting about that Andy Griffith episode is that they never explain about soloing being something you do relatively early, long before you get your license... people nowadays wouldn't know that.

I liked how the CFI just let the fuel from the sump run out to the ground rather than catching it in a sump tool to look for water or other contaminates.

Speaking of old shows.......

Mary Ann or Ginger..??

Last edited:
What's interesting about that Andy Griffith episode is that they never explain about soloing being something you do relatively early, long before you get your license... people nowadays wouldn't know that.
It seemed to me that they covered that point well enough. They asked her if she was going to go on and get her license, and then all laughed like that was ludicrous. Then they touched on it again later when someone else asked Andy if she was going to continue and he said he doesn't think she even knows.

I always imagined Mayberry to be some place in middle America. I guess it's in SoCal. Whodathunkit.

I always imagined Mayberry to be some place in middle America. I guess it's in SoCal. Whodathunkit.
Here is a deep sekret: Weatherford Oklahoma is Mayberry.

Batgirl or Cat Woman? (for extra credit, specify which Cat Woman)
Wilma Deering or Ardala?
Cassiopeia or Athena?
Daisy or Wonder Woman? (They're each the only one on the respective show, but concurrent.)

Here is a deep sekret: Weatherford Oklahoma is Mayberry.

Nah, Weatherford has over 11,000 folks. Way too big.

Now, Maysville, OK (10 mi east of Lindsay) is actually referred to as Mayberry by nearly everyone around here. Population about 1,000 peeps.

Batgirl or Cat Woman? (for extra credit, specify which Cat Woman) - Batgirl - Alicia Sylverstone
Wilma Deering or Ardala? - Wilma Deering
Cassiopeia or Athena? - BOTH
Daisy or Wonder Woman? (They're each the only one on the respective show, but concurrent.) Wonder Woman - Linda Carter version

Batgirl or Cat Woman? (for extra credit, specify which Cat Woman) - Batgirl - Alicia Sylverstone
Wilma Deering or Ardala? - Wilma Deering
Cassiopeia or Athena? - BOTH
Daisy or Wonder Woman? (They're each the only one on the respective show, but concurrent.) Wonder Woman - Linda Carter version

Excellent Choices. I'd forgotten alicia silverstone... I was fixated on the tv series.

The inspiration for Mayberry was Andy Griffith's hometown, Mount Airy NC. 2010 population 10,388.

I stand corrected. Thank ya.

I think Andy and Barney would have their work cut out for them in a town that size nowadays. Probably gonna need them guns and a few more drunk tanks.

As good as a drunk that Hal Smith (Otis Campbell) played, he never drank alcohol in his life.

The inspiration for Mayberry was Andy Griffith's hometown, Mount Airy NC. 2010 population 10,388.
I think I read that he based it on a nearby smaller town, Pilot Mountain. Population 1400 in 2016.

Batgirl or Cat Woman? (for extra credit, specify which Cat Woman)
Wilma Deering or Ardala?
Cassiopeia or Athena?
Daisy or Wonder Woman? (They're each the only one on the respective show, but concurrent.)

Catwoman - Anne Hathaway
Wilma
Cassiopeia
Wonder woman - Linda Carter version

lynda-carter-21.jpg

$5 for an intro flight? Wow! :)

Fun watching that again. I know roughly where that airstrip was (no longer there, I don't think.). Those smoke stacks are at the west end of the San Fernando Valley.

Back in the 60's, I remember my father coming home with a number of gold colored plastic coin looking things. On one side, there was an embossed picture of a Cherokee 140, and on the other side there was some lettering that advertised a $5 intro flight. It was sort of a more durable version of a coupon.

Another episode early on and still in black and white was when Gomer went to join the Marine Corps. I'd never seen that one before and although it was a little far fetched (Andy was allowed to wander around on base and check on Gomer from time to time) it had Sgt Carter and a few of the regulars that was in the spin off, Gomer Pyle, USMC. Another thing I noticed was that they used the same people for different characters on the Andy Griffith Show. Earnest T. Bass was some sort of salesman in a later episode for example. The guy that played Sgt Carter's best friend was several characters on the Andy Griffith Show.

Another episode early on and still in black and white was when Gomer went to join the Marine Corps. I'd never seen that one before and although it was a little far fetched (Andy was allowed to wander around on base and check on Gomer from time to time) it had Sgt Carter and a few of the regulars that was in the spin off, Gomer Pyle, USMC. Another thing I noticed was that they used the same people for different characters on the Andy Griffith Show. Earnest T. Bass was some sort of salesman in a later episode for example. The guy that played Sgt Carter's best friend was several characters on the Andy Griffith Show.

The guy that played Earnest T. Bass also directed many episodes of the Andy Griffith Show. There was an incident where they were about to shoot a scene with Aunt Bea. He told Aunt Bea, "Have a good show, Francis." She looked down at him and said, "How dare you, how dare you even think I would have anything but a good show."

Apparently sweet, kind and lovable Aunt Bea was a little difficult to work with. Later in life she called Andy and apologized for being so difficult.

I also noticed that Andy was allowed free access to the Marine base, and was also allowed to bring Gomer to boot camp in a private car....:lol::lol:

Nice or not, I couldn't spend too much time around Aunt Bee. Her voice was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Back