I don't remember some things

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
There are certain days in our lives that start out benign; a day like any other day. I got up, I went about my business like any other Tuesday after the holiday weekend. It would be one of those days where it's just going to be another day at the office, a night at the ball field, a bite to eat after the game, and then retire to bed. That was until I got a text message from Clint's mom at lunch.

It started about a week earlier when I got a phone call from someone I'd never met. Oh, I had talked to her for a few years via text message, online chat services, and the occasional phone call, but we'd never met face to face. It was a simple enough question: "Do you know anyone that gives balloon rides?" I happened to work next to someone previously that did and passed the information along. A couple hours later I got a call back asking if I could provide an airplane ride instead.

Clint was unassuming, and if you walked past him and his mother on the street, or in the mall, or any other public place, you wouldn't think twice about whom you just walked by. I wouldn't have either. He was quiet, polite, and looked and acted like a normal eleven or twelve year old. He had the all excitement of preteen with his whole world ahead of him. But Clint was twenty nine, and had been born with cerebral palsy, and the phone call the week prior asking me to provide a plane ride for Clint, was because he had only been given two weeks to live. That phone call was from a nurse in the oncology department at St. Mary’s hospital, and he was losing his battle with cancer. After hearing Clint’s story there is no way I could say no.

The flight almost didn’t happen. I got a call from his mother the night before saying that he was having one of his bad days, and that tomorrow wasn’t looking good. He loved baseball, and he lacked the strength to even sit through the last home game of the season for his beloved Whitecaps at 5/3rd ballpark. He got to see the game, but he had to lay on his parent’s laps to watch it. I let them know that I would be able to be “on call” any day during the week if he felt better. That day happened to be today. I borrowed my friend Ryan’s plane (a better plane than mine for this sort of flight) and met his mother, a cousin, an aunt, and of course Clint. He had a beaming smile on his face under his Detroit Tigers hat. We shook hands and introduced ourselves.

His family took pictures of him and I with the plane, and then his mother and he climbed aboard, and Clint and I talked baseball while we buckled in. I explained the controls to them, and what they did, and that we would fly over their house, 5/3rd Park, downtown Grand Rapids, and that I’d even let him take the controls once we did the take off, but I would have to take them back when we got ready to land. We buckled in, started the plane and took off from Sparta’s airport with the wind blowing right down the runway. There were a few minor bumps on the flight there, but for our flight they were absent. Were it not for my passenger I probably wouldn’t even remember this flight, and on our way back to the airport I remembered I forgot to let Clint have the controls like I promised.

Well, there’s an easy way to solve that. We scooted Clint’s seat up, and I pointed out where the airport was and gave Clint instructions on getting us there. He handled the controls like any other student I’ve flown with, and he guided us right to the airport. Clint handled the controls in the traffic pattern and guided us right down final approach to runway 7. I asked if he saw the 7, and when he said yes, I said just keep us pointed straight at it – and he did. I managed the throttle and rudder, but he kept us lined up with the runway. We settled over the runway and I told him to pull gently back on the yoke; and with very little help from me, he landed it right on the centerline. Once we touched downd I said, "Congradulations Clint, you just landed your first airplane." When we got out of the plane, I saw the biggest smile I’d ever seen in my life.

I don’t remember the tail number of the plane I soloed in, my first date, my first day of kindergarten, or high school, or even college. I probably won't remember what I wore to work today, or that I hit three home runs tonight, or that I even had a doctor's appointment on September 6th. But I will always remember Clint – and his smile.

Last edited:
Sorry, I would have responded a few minutes sooner, but I had to go for the Kleenex. Thanks VERY much for sharing this with us, but thanks even more for giving Clint a well deserved thrill.

Doc

Well done Ed, I"m sure he was letting everyone know at the hospital too. Very well done.

I got a message from his mother:

I just feel it was another 'Miracle' day that was meant to be. He hadn't felt that well in a while and today of all days he was doing great. He called to tell everyone about his day. You gave him the best day ever. He says thank you again for showing him how to fly.

Nice work...
Great Story. Thanks for sharing.

I'm all teared up. Thanks, Ed for your time w/ Clint.

!

Really, Ed. Nice!

I had perhaps the best time I've ever had in ANY plane when I flew that Comanche with you. I know just how Clint felt because I felt it too...

What a thrill for him and perhaps in some way it prolonged his life another minute / hour / day.

What a great story, and what a nice thing for you to do Ed!!!

Bravo Zulu my friend!! What a blessing to be able to give Clint the gift that you did. You are a good man a mench Ed Fredrick but of that I had no doubt. For those new to POA this isn't the first time that Ed has used his plane to give such gifts I'll remind everyone that two years ago or so Ed and Kelvin Draugon flew a woman home from one of the Carolinas to Michigan so she could spend her final days with her family and assumed the entire cost of the transport. Thank you Ed!

Since people never seem to mind taking things out of context on this board . . . I will too. And for a much better purpose. So:

"And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins."

Multitude covered today, Ed.

You're a good man, Fred.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

oh, man - wow!!

Ed it's your thread and I am in no way trying to take away from it... It just reminded me of when I took my grandfather flying. He was a WWII Helcat pilot and after the war he became a traveling businessman. He had more time in planes then I will probably ever have as a pilot. We knew it was going to be his last flight ever, and I let him fly the plane as much as he wanted. It was his first time to fly in over 50 years, and his last. I kept it together until after I was home. That flight had such a profound effect on me, and this brought back some of the most wonderful memories of that flight with my grandfather - so many wonderful moments on that flight. These kind of things are the tatoos on our hearts that no one can take away from either person in the plane on those flights.

This is really touching, Ed --- Thank you for that

Bob

Nicely written... and touching. Thank you for writing a thread I won't soon forget.

Godspeed, Clint.

Well, doggone it, these darn allergies seem to be flaring up again for some reason.

What a great story, and something to cherish forever.

Back