I don't ever want to hear "its a dry heat" again

Would you like to trade for thunder, lightning, pouring rain? I have plenty. My surplus has been growing for several weeks.

My boss is headed to Boston (from Dallas) for the next week--he said the forecast is for yet another week of wet up there.

Funny how you can get tired of either extreme when it lasts too long. Need a place where it always rains good for a day or two, then is sunny for a week, rinse and repeat.

BTW it was hanging on the nail over my left shoulder...in the shade. I emailed it out today and people said because I'm not sweating its a "dry heat". Well the fact is that I came out from the air conditioning, took a picture and went back into a/c.:D

Scott, are those three-packs of bottles of water on the racks behind you? I'm hoping it's something else. Nothing quite as refreshing as a swig of 120F water.

Today, its going to be 89 degrees in Albuquerque. The humidity is currently 70%.

This is BS.

Do you really want to have this conversation again? :p Remember what you said after returning from Gaston's a few years ago?

Hi Nick!

Jean

I was down in Pensacola last week. It was 81 at 7AM. By midday, it was 97 and 70% humidity. By late afternoon, it was over 100. One weatherman reported it was 110 in his yard.
While not happy with the heat, I'll take New England's periodic spikes to 90 and 70% any time. My ideal would be 70.

It's 7:54 Sunday morning and here in a northern suburb of Detoit it's now 72 degrees, dew point 63 and humidity 73%. This is one of our low humidity days with a visibility of 10 miles (severe clear for Michigan).

When I went out west one of the mst amazing thngs I remember was the extreme visibility. At 12,000 ft over Albuquerque I could see the outlines of the rock formation in monument valley Utah. Now that's what I call unrestricted.

I've flown over Lake Michigan many times going from here to Oshkosh. At the point I fly across the lake it's 50 miles across. I can only remember one time when I could see both shore lines from the center of the lake at 10,000 ft.. We have so much humidity that the sky almost is always hazy and often obscured.

Several times I've demonstrated to non pilot friends how disorienting it can be for a pilot to fly out over Lake Huron in hazy daylight conditions where it's impossible to distiguish the horizon. After a demonstration like that they have a better understanding of what may have happened to JFK Jr. that night near Martha's Vineyard.

Heat is one thing and yes it can be uncomfortable but when you combine heat with outrageous humidity it can be unbearable. Personally I would prefer 90 to 100 degress and low humidity to 80 degrees with the typical 90+ % humidity we get here. Sometimes I just can't understand why I still live in Michigan.

Jean

Last edited:
This is from yesterday morning.

89.8 F
80%
8:24 am

It didn't get any better. lol

Attachments

• Temp.JPG
    Temp.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 6
Nothing quite as refreshing as a swig of 120F water.

In the winter there is anti-freeze for water. Do they use anti-evaporate in the summer?

The worst was going to north texas a couple years ago when they had all the flooding. It was 100F and 100% humidity at 9am...then it got hot. If that wasn't bad enough, the air was completely stagnant for weeks. I mean the air was so still that I was afraid of getting CO2 poisoning if I stood in the same place too long without moving to a new location with more oxygen. Outside in the sun it was actually much cooler over concrete than it was over water saturated grass. At one point I stopped for fuel and snacks and grabbed some money that was inside the motorhome and the money along with anything that was paper was actually wet.

Triple digit heat + triple digit humidity + stagnant air = the worst stuff that exists.

Back