I do not like bicyclists

Which sucks worse - stopping at every cross street or damaged eardrums?

Which sucks worse? Moving over 2 feet to go around the bike, or having vehicular assault/attempted homicide on your record, when your deliberate actions cause the rider injury?

Which sucks worse - stopping at every cross street or damaged eardrums?
Whoa. If you did that to me I'd take your plate number down. That's assault mister. If that happened anywhere near a police station you can BET I would file a complaint.

Ed is right. Many bike paths are not fit to ride on. If there's a decent path off the roadway I will be on it. If it's not, and in my judgment the road isn't too hazardous, I'll be on it, doing my best to obey the rules of the road. If that upsets you so much that you're going to use your vehicle to try to terrorize me, YOU'RE the one that has no business being on the road.

Bob, sorry to hear that you tangled with an idiot bicyclist. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Okay, here goes ...
We live in a society where the strong are expected to protect the weak.

See, right there, is the problem if you're a Darwinist...

Bicyclists aren't elderly or infirm; they have control over their circumstances, and some deliberately and intentionally insert themselves into scenarios that conflict with the "strong" and expect their own perceived self-worth to protect them.

I don't mean law-abiding cyclists riding as far from traffic as they can in a bike lane; I mean cyclists (usually in groups of three or more) that deliberately impede the flow of automotive traffic, or do something blatantly asinine as the OP described. I feel no particular societal obligation to "protect" anyone with such an elevated, and misguided, air of self-importance.

Whoa. If you did that to me I'd take your plate number down. That's assault mister. If that happened anywhere near a police station you can BET I would file a complaint.

Ed is right. Many bike paths are not fit to ride on. If there's a decent path off the roadway I will be on it. If it's not, and in my judgment the road isn't too hazardous, I'll be on it, doing my best to obey the rules of the road. If that upsets you so much that you're going to use your vehicle to try to terrorize me, YOU'RE the one that has no business being on the road.

Bob, sorry to hear that you tangled with an idiot bicyclist. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Easy solution. Ride the speed limit and there's no problem. Or move over to let vehicles pass. Otherwise you are obstructing traffic.

Easy solution. Ride the speed limit and there's no problem. Or move over to let vehicles pass. Otherwise you are obstructing traffic.

You do realize that except on interstates, and maybe a few other limited access highways, there is no minimum speed. Realize that is a speed limit, as in that's the fastest that you should ever go. You can legally go slower.

Bob, I'm really sorry this happened to you, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I was always taught that if you are on a bike and in the street, you have the same rights and responsibilities as any motorized vehicle (including stopping at red lights, a major pet peeve of mine is when bicyclists just rip through red lights like they don't exist). I was also taught that bicyclists must stay as far to the right of the lane as is practicable.

It's real easy to find the rules for your state -- I found the NJ rules in about 2 seconds, just use your favorite search engine to search for "NJ bicycle regulations" and substitute your own state for NJ.

39:4-14.1 Rights and Duties of Persons on Bicycles.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway is granted all the rights and subject to all of the duties of the motor vehicle driver.

39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.

In New Jersey, the law states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law.

See, right there, is the problem if you're a Darwinist...

Bicyclists aren't elderly or infirm; they have control over their circumstances, and some deliberately and intentionally insert themselves into scenarios that conflict with the "strong" and expect their own perceived self-worth to protect them.

I don't mean law-abiding cyclists riding as far from traffic as they can in a bike lane; I mean cyclists (usually in groups of three or more) that deliberately impede the flow of automotive traffic, or do something blatantly asinine as the OP described. I feel no particular societal obligation to "protect" anyone with such an elevated, and misguided, air of self-importance.

I've never seen a group of cyclists so large they impede traffic except on a closed race sanctioned by the city.

I've found cyclists to be pretty courteous when it comes to traffic. I, for one, stay to the right of the bike lane or as far right on the shoulder as I can and I try my best to ride a straight, predictable course.

In no way am I supporting needlessly riding in the center of a lane or impeding traffic. We all have a place to get to and we all should work together to get everyone there safely.

I guess it's the 2x4 comment coming from a non-cyclist that pushed my button on this thread. There is no place for that mentality in our society. The idea that that person may be a pilot floors me. Not only do I have to share the roads with him but the skies too? Neither have near enough room for error to tolerate that mindset.

Hope the OP gets well soon. On behalf of all cyclists...'sorry'. (I would like to hear the other guys point of view though.)

C'mon you've never seen cyclists riding side by side(which is legal) in and around blind corners on shoulderless country roads? Can't count how many times I've nearly had a head on collision rounding blind corners because the other car was forced into my lane by side by side cyclists. Bad behavior in cities, bad behavior in the country. Pedal on bro.

I've never seen a group of cyclists so large they impede traffic except on a closed race sanctioned by the city.

Almost every weekend with decent weather the bicyclists pack-up and disrupt traffic around Denver and Boulder. They can get pretty territorial. It's much less than an ideal situation...

C'mon you've never seen cyclists riding side by side(which is legal) in and around blind corners on shoulderless country roads? Can't count how many times I've nearly had a head on collision rounding blind corners because the other car was forced into my lane by side by side cyclists. Bad behavior in cities, bad behavior in the country. Pedal on bro.

So if a car passes on a double yellow it's the passee that's at fault? Got it.

The car was not forced into your lane by cyclists. The car chose to illegally cross over into your lane because he couldn't wait for a safer place to pass.

So if a car passes on a double yellow it's the passee that's at fault? Got it.

The car was not forced into your lane by cyclists. The car chose to illegally cross over into your lane because he couldn't wait for a safer place to pass.

Who said there were double yellow lines? Plenty of twisty country roads without double yellows. Doing the speed limit on roads with limited sight distance you come upon these special people mid corner what are you supposed to do lock up the brakes? Then you end up like the OP. I suppose the whole world should slow down to the lowest common denominator. Cyclists defending themselves is telling.

Sorry to hear that, Bob. Bicyclists do make me nervous, and I am nervous riding in larger streets when I'm on a bike (so I usually avoid doing that).

So I'm riding my motorcycle in the left lane of a 2 lane access road (2 lanes in each direction). There was a bicyclist ahead of me riding in the middle of the 2 lanes on the dashed lines. wtf?

As I approach I lightly toot the horn to let the bicyclist know I'm there.

He looks back, and then pulls into the left lane in front of me. wtf is wrong with that @#$@#$ idiot?

Unfortunately I did a poor job on the panic stop and dumped the bike.

The good news: I didn't hit the @#$# bicyclist and all my protective gear worked (full-face helmet, padded jacket, gloves, crash bars).

The bad news: broken collarbone, 4 broken ribs, hairline fracture in a neck vertebra (that sounds worse than it is). Albeit no surgery to repair.

I would like to have a conversation with that idiot.

Who said there were double yellow lines? Plenty of twisty country roads without double yellows.

What paint?

All dirt out here... LOL!

2 miles to the nearest pavement, and if you take the shorter way into Denver, another 4 miles of dirt to go right at the t-intersection where there's pavement left, and dirt to the right. :)

Who said there were double yellow lines? Plenty of twisty country roads without double yellows. Doing the speed limit on roads with limited sight distance you come upon these special people mid corner what are you supposed to do lock up the brakes? Then you end up like the OP. I suppose the whole world should slow down to the lowest common denominator. Cyclists defending themselves is telling.

Could be a slow car, could be a broken down car, could be farm equipment, could be an animal, could be anything besides a cyclist. Would you go flying into the other lane if you came up on other said vehicles just because they are slow? It seems that you are the problem. I don't pass ANYTHING on a blind corner willy-nilly like you advocate, regardless of what is supposedly blocking my path. Going the speed limit does not relieve you of your resposibility to stay in your lane. If the corner is that blind then you are not driving a speed adequate for the conditions. "Blizzard conditions? Screw that, the speed limit says 70, I'm doing it!" YOU are the one breaking the law, and yet everyone else is the problem. Hazardous attitude anyone?

Last edited:
What paint?

All dirt out here... LOL!

2 miles to the nearest pavement, and if you take the shorter way into Denver, another 4 miles of dirt to go right at the t-intersection where there's pavement left, and dirt to the right. :)

You'll never catch me riding my road bike on a dirt road.

You'll never catch me riding my road bike on a dirt road.

We don't even get the "mountain" bikers with the $2000 suspension parts. The washboards scare them away. :)

We do see plenty of people hauling butt around on 4-wheelers and dirt bikes though. And the occasional golf cart or tractor.

I've been thinking about driving the tractor down to the corner store 2 miles away, just to do it... :)

I've been thinking about driving the tractor down to the corner store 2 miles away, just to do it... :)

Careful. Climbandsink will pass you without looking for oncoming traffic, and it will be your fault.

As soon as bicycles have to pay a vehicle registration fee/tax I will consider them another vehicle. Until then they are just another hazard. It's just like granddad driving in the left lane going 30 under in his Buick.

I dealt with bicyclists a lot in Austin, and they are the worst sort. Smug, passive aggressive, and generally dumb. In Lincoln they are much better and generally contained to the bike trails, but every once in awhile you get a free thinker that desides it's a good idea to weave in and out of stopped traffic at a light. I just want to smack them with a door, or if I'm on my motorcycle get off and punch them in their snooty enviro-hippy face.

For those of us who tend to follow the rules of the road, a hazard going 20 under the speed limit is a real problem. I can stop a heck of a lot faster on my motorcycle than the car tailgating me can, and if some tard on a bicycle pulls out in front of me (which has happened) I'm not all too keen on hearing squealing brakes behind me.

They are a real menace.

As soon as bicycles have to pay a vehicle registration fee/tax I will consider them another vehicle. Until then they are just another hazard. It's just like granddad driving in the left lane going 30 under in his Buick.

I dealt with bicyclists a lot in Austin, and they are the worst sort. Smug, passive aggressive, and generally dumb. In Lincoln they are much better and generally contained to the bike trails, but every once in awhile you get a free thinker that desides it's a good idea to weave in and out of stopped traffic at a light. I just want to smack them with a door, or if I'm on my motorcycle get off and punch them in their snooty enviro-hippy face.

For those of us who tend to follow the rules of the road, a hazard going 20 under the speed limit is a real problem. I can stop a heck of a lot faster on my motorcycle than the car tailgating me can, and if some tard on a bicycle pulls out in front of me (which has happened) I'm not all too keen on hearing squealing brakes behind me.

They are a real menace.

For those idiot cyclists, just wing 'em. I have no problem with those types getting culled. 30lb bike vs 400lb motorcycle. I've got my money on the motor cycle. I bet you can even keep it upright.

They are a real menace.
No you are the menace, just ask a bicyclist.:lol:

They are a real menace.

Don't know how many times I've almost been hit on a motorcycle while riding west into the late afternoon sun. Lincoln just sucks for motorcycles IMHO.

So I'm riding my motorcycle in the left lane of a 2 lane access road (2 lanes in each direction). There was a bicyclist ahead of me riding in the middle of the 2 lanes on the dashed lines. wtf?

As I approach I lightly toot the horn to let the bicyclist know I'm there.

He looks back, and then pulls into the left lane in front of me. wtf is wrong with that @#$@#$ idiot?

Unfortunately I did a poor job on the panic stop and dumped the bike.

The good news: I didn't hit the @#$# bicyclist and all my protective gear worked (full-face helmet, padded jacket, gloves, crash bars).

The bad news: broken collarbone, 4 broken ribs, hairline fracture in a neck vertebra (that sounds worse than it is). Albeit no surgery to repair.

I would like to have a conversation with that idiot.
Was this you?

Bummer about the accident. We all have to learn how to share the road and respect one another while driving whatever vehicle we are using.

While a majority of the cyclists I have seen on the roads are perfectly acceptable and do what they can to stay out of drivers' way, the ones that are bad are LUDICROUSLY bad, and give all cyclists a bad name.

I've lost count of the times I've been out enjoying a mountain drive and had to come to an almost panic stop when I came up on a cyclist riding in the middle of the road, around blind corners, going a good 20-30mph under the speed limit. And then they refuse to move over so cars can go around.

I just don't understand how someone can be so rude and careless.

If you look closely at the slow motion video the M/C counter steered directly into the bicycle. Instead of pushing the left handle bar he pushed the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLzB5oriblk

If you look you can see that he hit his foot on the road. That caused a moment of panic followed by target fixation on the bikers. You go where you look.

Good news, I just read the Florida suggestions on how a bicycle should ride. Turns out 'ride big' is a theme discussed. That means a rider should, when road conditions warrant and space is not available to allow a motor vehicle to pass, ride 'big'.

That means a cyclist is ENCOURAGED to ride into the lane to signal to motor vehicles that passing is not prudent at this time and PREVENT them from passing until a more prudent time presents itself.

Take that you f'ing 2x4 wielding prick!

The point of the last post is to introduce the idea of 'riding big'. It's a State sponsored program INSTRUCTING bike riders to take MORE of the lane to discourage passing on narrow roads.

Maybe some of you have seen this 'riding in the lane BS?'

They are OBEYING the law. Maybe you should too.

Or...you could smack them with your 2x4 and go to jail...

Bicyclists were out in force today - the only person I wanted to face punch was driving a Pontiac.

On narrow roads its understandable, on a road with a shoulder if they are riding in my lane it's time to take aim with the ol' 2x4. I hear if its a mother and small child riding without helmets you get bonus points.

Good news, I just read the Florida suggestions on how a bicycle should ride. Turns out 'ride big' is a theme discussed. That means a rider should, when road conditions warrant and space is not available to allow a motor vehicle to pass, ride 'big'.

That means a cyclist is ENCOURAGED to ride into the lane to signal to motor vehicles that passing is not prudent at this time and PREVENT them from passing until a more prudent time presents itself.

Aka "taking the lane", in an area where there is no safe place for a car to pass anyway, you ride closer to the centerline to keep dumb-a car drivers from trying to squeeze by anyway and running you off the road. The only people who would be peeved at that are the very reason you're doing it in the first place, so screw them anyway.

9avy6avy.jpg

I just got about 15 of the bastards with the door on the ol' F150
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First you said they were 'encouraged' now you say it is the law. Whatever. And why should I heed to some dumb bicyclists perception of where I can pass? More smug jackassery from the spandumb crowd.

The point of the last post is to introduce the idea of 'riding big'. It's a State sponsored program INSTRUCTING bike riders to take MORE of the lane to discourage passing on narrow roads.

Maybe some of you have seen this 'riding in the lane BS?'

They are OBEYING the law. Maybe you should too.

Or...you could smack them with your 2x4 and go to jail...

"Riding big" seems like it would only replace accidental collisions between cars and bicyclists... with quasi-intentional ones. Even the most even-tempered motorist can get plenty aggravated when seeing a wide-open lane ahead, being hogged by a bicycle.

What I used to do to get them out of the way is get close, and peg the throttle with the clutch pulled. Scared the crap out of them.

Bicycles don't belong in the road. In ABQ, it really ****ed me off because there will be a bike trail or bike lane, and they'd still be in the road, in the way. Those are the bikes that get the throttle. If they still didn't move, I'd ride the horn at them, knowing it was hurting their ears until they move.

I do the same in a car when they're holding up traffic next to a bike lane or bike path.

Pulling the e-brake until the tires squeal puts them on notice too.

You do realize that except on interstates, and maybe a few other limited access highways, there is no minimum speed. Realize that is a speed limit, as in that's the fastest that you should ever go. You can legally go slower.

So it would be acceptable and safe for me to drive my car at 3-5mph on a 50mph road then?

Back