I do not like bicyclists

Sorry to hear, heal up Bob.

I must disagree with the hive mind. The person responsible for this accident is the one staring you in the mirror. On a motorcycle you must have situational awareness, head on a swivel. Every moving object around you must be considered a hazard. You must evaluate what that object might do to get in your way, and have a plan of action worked out for the contingency before you approach it. You should have assumed the bicyclist would just stop dead in front of you and have the appropriate action worked out already. Your bike should be capable of the necessary evasive maneuvers, if it isn't get one that is. If you find yourself unable to do these things hang it up. You are a danger to yourself on the road.

Sorry to be so harsh, but this is the way it is on a motorcycle. Anyone who tells you different is a liar or an accident waiting to happen.

of course therre had to be one in the crowd.

POA rules prohibit me from stating my opinion of your analysis of the primary cause of this accident.

Heal quickly & take care.

I would choose to pay my possible ticket for riding my mountain bike on the sidewalk in lieu of exposing myself to the huge risk of mindless motor traffic on the street, especially at my back.

Wow. Hope you recover quickly Bob. I broke my collarbone 6 years ago and have full flexability in my arm thanks to the Physical Therapy I did. Be sure you do it and don't sit around feeling sorry for yourself!

Meh... I was riding in the left lane yesterday on my Harley. A few car-lengths ahead a car unexpectedly slowed in the right lane to turn right and the SUV behind it had a choice to jam on the brakes or swerve into my space.

I jammed on my brakes just incase he made a choice that was not favorable to me.

Situational awareness trumps right-of-way.

Expect the unexpected.

Good thinking. As to the OP, doesn't the vehicle ahead have the right-of-way to those overtaking?

Meh... I was riding in the left lane yesterday on my Harley. A few car-lengths ahead a car unexpectedly slowed in the right lane to turn right and the SUV behind it had a choice to jam on the brakes or swerve into my space.

I jammed on my brakes just incase he made a choice that was not favorable to me.

Situational awareness trumps right-of-way.

Expect the unexpected.

I do not understand why many bicyclists do not use a parallel sidewalk when it is available. I am a cyclist and I use it out of practicality.

Bicycles are vehicles, vehicles are meant for roads.

Exactly. In the state of Washington bicyclists are required to follow the same rules of the road as cars. Cars don't run on the sidewalk. Oh, and when I'm walking on the sidewalk I WILL NOT yield to somebody on a bicycle.

Good thinking. As to the OP, doesn't the vehicle ahead have the right-of-way to those overtaking?

In Texas you can get a ticket for turning or changing lanes without signalling. The overtaken vehicle was still in the wrong.... and the guy doing the overtaking still ends up being hurt.

I know several cyclists, human powered, AND fossil powered, who run continues DashCams while they are out....

Maybe the OP shouldn't ride so aggressively. When I am riding my motorcycle and come upon an idiot, be it a car, bicycle, or pedestrian, I SLOW DOWN so whatever stupidity they pull next doesn't put me in position to get hurt. Honking to get his attention, while already so close that anything but the correct response by him would cause a wreck is just as idiotic on your part as his riding in the middle was.

As for you people advocating things like knocking cyclists over with a 2x4, have you stopped to really consider that? You would murder your fellow man because you don't like him on "your" road? I'm ashamed to breathe the same air as you.
People get in such a hurry, they forget how precious and fragile life is.

Sent via teletype

Last edited:
Get well soon.

You shouldn't need to dump a bike just avoid hitting a bicyclist though. Sounds like you panicked and grabbed a handful of front brake. You should be using both brakes to stop the bike. With practice you can brake hard and downshift at the same time (blipping the throttle). For anyone who rides I suggest doing some track days to learn these skills and to learn the limits of their bike.

Last edited:
Honking to get his attention, while already so close that anything but the correct response by him would cause a wreck is just as idiotic on your part as his riding in the middle was.

maybe you should know what are talking about.

I lightly hit the horn when I was waaaaaaay behind the idiot.

He pulled in front of me at the last instant.

maybe you should know what are talking about.

I lightly hit the horn when I was waaaaaaay behind the idiot.

He pulled in front of me at the last instant.

Well, that's not at all what your first post conveys.

Also, a good msf course will teach you how to brake and swerve without dumping it.

Sent via teletype

Last edited:
Stories like this are the exact reason I never act on my motorcycle impulses. Glad you're ok!

Ash, I sympathize with your point. But this is one circumstance where disdain for the group is well-earned by far too many of its participants.

I'm in Portland, and daily come into contact (all too often, almost in the literal sense) with urban bicyclists. There are those who are courteous and respect the rules of the road, but there is also a significant minority who simply don't care. They claim the rights of motor vehicles, but obey the laws only when it's convenient, and heaven help anything or anyone (e.g. pedestrians) who get in their way. Stop signs? Ha! These guys reinforce the public image of Lance Armstrong-style arrogance on two wheels.

There's a lot of truth in that Portlandia clip I posted above.

Anti-aviation sentiment is based primarily on fear and ignorance. But almost everybody at one time or another has ridden bicycles, and has probably enjoyed the experience of doing so. So public disdain for hard-core, aggressive bicyclists results from experience.

Bicyclists could clean up their act and improve their own image. But given human nature in an inherently unregulated activity, don't hold your breath.

There are no shortage of idiots out there. Some people, for example, think it's funny to make death threats against bicyclists! And some idiots ride bicycles, it's true.

I ride a bicycle, and a motorcycle, and I drive a car and fly airplanes. I try to do all of those things responsibly.

When I've ridden my bicycle, I've had cars pull in front of me and rapidly stop, been squeezed into a sewage gutter by an SUV, had cars blow through red lights and almost into me, and had busy suburban mommies throw open parked car doors just as I was coming past. Lots of idiots in cars.

On a motorcycle, I've had all the same things happen. Some people are more aggressive towards motorcyclists than towards cars. I've noticed that none of these "heroes" gets out of their car to talk to me face-to-face. They like to stay in their safe steel cages.

When I've driven in a car, I've also had all the same things happen. Idiots driving right up on my tail instead of passing on the highway, idiots stopping suddenly in fast traffic, swerving across multiple lanes of traffic, applying makeup or texting while driving.

All I'm saying is that there are no shortage of selfish idiots out there. Some of them ride bikes and motorcycles, but in terms of sheer numbers, most of them are in cars.

There is a difference between incompetently operating a vehicle and being a smug-self-righteous intentionally offensive operator of a vehicle. Even though you posses the skills and knowledge to do it right.

So I'm riding my motorcycle in the left lane of a 2 lane access road (2 lanes in each direction). There was a bicyclist ahead of me riding in the middle of the 2 lanes on the dashed lines. wtf?

As I approach I lightly toot the horn to let the bicyclist know I'm there.

He looks back, and then pulls into the left lane in front of me. wtf is wrong with that @#$@#$ idiot?

Unfortunately I did a poor job on the panic stop and dumped the bike.

The good news: I didn't hit the @#$# bicyclist and all my protective gear worked (full-face helmet, padded jacket, gloves, crash bars).

The bad news: broken collarbone, 4 broken ribs, hairline fracture in a neck vertebra (that sounds worse than it is). Albeit no surgery to repair.

I would like to have a conversation with that idiot.

He did not stop to give aide? He could be charged with causing an accident and the leaving the scene.

Edit: saw the post that he did stop. Did police issue a ticket to him?

Last edited:
Deferring the maintenance of a critical safety item to the degree that it causes you to get into an accident indicates your approach to motorcycle safety is severely flawed. Your brake job decision was conscious and calculated and unsafe. Perhaps you should focus on your own decision making before you put effort towards writing such harsh posts. Look in the mirror before you preach, this isn't your classroom, professor.

Can't disagree with the harangue, and that Godlwing is going on the auction block as soon as I get it running again. But I still stand by what I said. Head on a swivel, and ride a bike that can get you out of the way.

Obviously you enjoy slinging mud my way, which is fine by me. The fact that you can only find fault with the messenger rather than the message underlies my rectitude.

Perhaps I do owe Bob an apology. Murphy can bite anyone, any time. But I haven't met or seen a cyclist that can catch me on a bike, even the lethargic free range comfort zone that is the Goldwing.

This is ridiculous. Our op is messed up in a lot of pain and we all agree that some stupid cyclist could have avoided the whole thing. What does it take to keep focused on lending our fellow pilot some support.

This is ridiculous. Our op is messed up in a lot of pain and we all agree that some stupid cyclist could have avoided the whole thing. What does it take to keep focused on lending our fellow pilot some support.
He is getting support, more importantly we are bashing his cyclist enemies. When I am down I'd rather my friends vanquish my foes then sit around holding my hand. Stupid bicyclists.:lol:

I think it's like any other accident report. We hate to hear somebody has been hurt while pursuing one of the activities many of us enjoy, and in discussing it we explore some of the aspects and actions the participants might have used to prevent it. I've only had one bike slide-out, and I know for damnsure that it happened too fast to avoid, no matter how much free advice I received after it happened.

My initial reaction was that a bicycle traveling between the two lanes is highly unusual and something that would likely spook me to watch him like a hawk and slow to his speed or slower before making the pass. Whether I would actually have done it, or whether Bob did it and just got caught in an unavoidable wreck are unknowns.

I can't think of a single time I've ever honked at anybody and then seen them move suddenly into the left lane, so I'm guessing I would have been as surprised as Bob was when it happened to him. I'd like to hear what the guy on the bicycle has to say about it, just to know if he had any credible explanation for his decisions. I can come up with some plausible answers but the doofus theory can't be discarded.

He is getting support, more importantly we are bashing his cyclist enemies. When I am down I'd rather my friends vanquish my foes then sit around holding my hand. Stupid bicyclists.:lol:

Okay how do I argue with that. lol rofl rofl lol lol

I think it's like any other accident report. We hate to hear somebody has been hurt while pursuing one of the activities many of us enjoy, and in discussing it we explore some of the aspects and actions the participants might have used to prevent it. I've only had one bike slide-out, and I know for damnsure that it happened too fast to avoid, no matter how much free advice I received after it happened.

My initial reaction was that a bicycle traveling between the two lanes is highly unusual and something that would likely spook me to watch him like a hawk and slow to his speed or slower before making the pass. Whether I would actually have done it, or whether Bob did it and just got caught in an unavoidable wreck are unknowns.

I can't think of a single time I've ever honked at anybody and then seen them move suddenly into the left lane, so I'm guessing I would have been as surprised as Bob was when it happened to him. I'd like to hear what the guy on the bicycle has to say about it, just to know if he had any credible explanation for his decisions. I can come up with some plausible answers but the doofus theory can't be discarded.

Agreed.

He has my support... get well soon, etc. But this is an Internet forum, where Big Ideas are presented. I was addressing the Big Idea, which seemed to be "bicycles are a menace".
I intend to start riding a motorcycle this year, and I know "it" will eventually happen to me. For most motorcycle riders, the worst part, apparently, is that it's usually some other moron's fault. But the OP knows exactly who's to blame for what.

I've been the avid cyclist (and would have never yielded left like that moron), and I've been the motorist (who has seen some unbelievably stupid motorcycle riding). I've driven trucks and taxicabs in all kinds of weather; I've driven across this country, and I've seen more than my share of roadway shenanigans.
I also briefly, for a while in my 20s, commuted up Broadway, from the Battery to Prince St., against traffic, every morning, on a bicycle with no brakes. I was not so wise then. :rolleyes:
Give any tool to someone who's not thinking right and there will be trouble. There's no logical reason to blame anybody based on what conveyance they are operating.
When in doubt, no matter what you are operating... slow down!!

Like snowboarders, there are bicyclists who are meticulous and follow the rules and others who are "SQUIRREL!!".

Pilots too, but Murphy tends to weed out the "SQUIRREL!" operators.

There is a point here. When I read the Bob's initial post, my thoughts were mostly about how much it must have sucked going through that crash, and how much it would suck going through the recovery. I hope you have a speedy recovery, man, and that you're able to get back on your motorcycle soon.

Get well, and sorry about the doofus...

I had my doofus moments this weekend, pulling the trailer full of moving stuff. The best was the guy who stepped off the curb to jaywalk across a six lane busy road and didn't look to see either the guy in front of me pulling a 5th wheel, or me, both with extended mirrors on our vehicles for towing...

Luckily we both edged over just enough not to scare the darting econoboxes in the middle lane too much, while just missing his head by a couple of inches with our mirrors.

My new trailer is wide... He almost got clipped with the trailer itself too.

Just to get a two step head-start on illegally crossing a busy road, instead of walking another 50 feet to a real crosswalk.

And... also came up on a Jeep Liberty rollover Saturday morning, on dry pavement with a gentle curve at a bridge, too... right after they'd yanked the people out of it and toss them in an ambulance.

I was wondering if they managed to not pay enough attention to get the right side up on the guard rail. Couldn't tell, but the roof caved in pretty good. Wasn't much of a roll cage or the same effect from the unibody on that thing. If you were a tall dude, you'd have had neck injuries from the roofline lowering.

Also saw a Mercedes-Benz spun around and facing the wrong way after a loooooong slide against a Jersey Barrier in the far-left lane of Northbound I-25 in Denver.

Must have been something in the water this weekend...

The problem with bicyclists is that the majority tend to pick and choose which rules they want to follow, and on the motorcycle and in the car it thoroughly ****es me off. A few days ago in downtown Lincoln I watched a herd of cyclists run a red light and then stop of the lane once it turned green. It is incredibly frustrating.

What's ridiculous about the bikers who run red lights, is that it is so flippin easy to time the light so you go through the intersection with the green light.

Red lights in TX are treated by operators of all vehicles as "cleared for the option."

What's ridiculous about the bikers who run red lights, is that it is so flippin easy to time the light so you go through the intersection with the green light.

Okay, here goes;

When I cycle I do pick and choose which rules to follow. I ride on the road and sometimes blow through stop signs and red lights. I do, however, give complete right away to any cross traffic when doing so. But once I'm stopped at a red light and the cars are gone I see no reason to sit there and wait for the light to turn green.

When approaching a stop sign I stop if there are ANY cars comming from any direction. But...if I can see in all directions and there are no cars, well, I do not shave off that inertia just so I can say I'm a good rule follower.

Timing lights? Nope, I ride to ride. Mostly where there are traffic lights there are lots of them. Say every block or two. I'm not going to ride quarter speed or half speed to 'time the lights'. That would defeat the purpose of the ride. So I simply ride hard into the light and comply with my above stated standard. Don't take 'ride hard into the light' to mean I don't slow. I do, to a speed that would allow a stop if need be. But close enough to the light to prevent 'timing the lights'.

Now, as to mounting 2x4's to assault cyclists...

We live in a society where the strong are expected to protect the weak. It's very bad form for a grown man to beat the hell out of a woman or a kid, the elderly, or the handicapped. Why? Because it's not fair. A woman, kid, elderly or handicapped person can't defend themselves against a healthy adult man 99% of them man.

Well, it's the same thing when a 2,500 lb truck rolls up on a bike. It's not fair and does not in any way improve the 'manliness' of the guy driving the truck. If you're looking for points here saying that I'd suggest you get about as much respect as if you bragged about how you go to nursing homes and beat the hell out of the residents. None being the answer.

Cyclists are just people out on bikes doing what they enjoy. Do they dress different? Sure, but so do the folks in the nursing home. Are some of them jerks? I'd guess in the same percentage as any other group...maybe less.

Please give way to cyclists. Worst case you have to slow to their speed to wait to pass. Cost's less time out of your day than making a sandwich and could save a life.

Many motorists believe the bikes don't belong on the road. Okay, even if your right and the cyclist is breaking the law, does that make you judge, jury and executioner? We don't even put to death thieves and that's a way worse crime than riding a bike where you don't think they belong. And if someone does receive the death penalty we don't do it by slamming into them with a fricking 2x4 mounted on a truck driving by!

There, flame away.

When they have to buy and display a tag, I will consider them "other vehicle traffic".. Until then................... they are pond scum...:yes::D

Well, I had a mandatory license tag on my bicycle in Davis, California back in the 1950s.

Oh, and they ticket bicycle riders for speeding in that town, too. Or so I've heard. I didn't have a problem with that as a young kid.

Right on man, that is the way I drive my truck.
Okay, here goes;

When I cycle I do pick and choose which rules to follow. I ride on the road and sometimes blow through stop signs and red lights. I do, however, give complete right away to any cross traffic when doing so. But once I'm stopped at a red light and the cars are gone I see no reason to sit there and wait for the light to turn green.

When approaching a stop sign I stop if there are ANY cars comming from any direction. But...if I can see in all directions and there are no cars, well, I do not shave off that inertia just so I can say I'm a good rule follower.

What I used to do to get them out of the way is get close, and peg the throttle with the clutch pulled. Scared the crap out of them.

Bicycles don't belong in the road. In ABQ, it really ****ed me off because there will be a bike trail or bike lane, and they'd still be in the road, in the way. Those are the bikes that get the throttle. If they still didn't move, I'd ride the horn at them, knowing it was hurting their ears until they move.

I do the same in a car when they're holding up traffic next to a bike lane or bike path.

What I used to do to get them out of the way is get close, and peg the throttle with the clutch pulled. Scared the crap out of them.

Bicycles don't belong in the road. In ABQ, it really ****ed me off because there will be a bike trail or bike lane, and they'd still be in the road, in the way. Those are the bikes that get the throttle. If they still didn't move, I'd ride the horn at them, knowing it was hurting their ears until they move.

I do the same in a car when they're holding up traffic next to a bike lane or bike path.

The problem with the bike trail is the ones I've seen f'ing suck. You have to stop every 100-200 yard for every damn cross street even though the road you would be riding doesn't have to stop. F that.

The problem with the bike trail is the ones I've seen f'ing suck. You have to stop every 100-200 yard for every damn cross street even though the road you would be riding doesn't have to stop. F that.

Which sucks worse - stopping at every cross street or damaged eardrums?

Did you know that when driving a car at an airport, you have to stop at every runway, and give way to airplanes, while if you were in an airplane, you'd have right of way and could possibly be cleared to cross them without stopping?

Did you know that when driving a car at an airport, you have to stop at every runway, and give way to airplanes, while if you were in an airplane, you'd have right of way and could possibly be cleared to cross them without stopping?

Did you know that most states have statutes that give bikes the same rights (and responsibilities) of motorcycles, cars, trucks, busses, etc?

Probably not.

BTW, if tower/ground is clearing the traffic to cross, it doesn't matter the vehicle. And I've heard and seen ground traffic not stop at runways.

Last edited:
Back