I discovered GoJo

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
So I was buying some cleaning stuff today,

The usual suspects, lemon pledge for my windows, some meguiars leather care as I haven't ordered any Connolly Hide Food yet, Lucas Speed wax (great stuff),
and I tried something new, GoJo hand cleaner (non pumice) for exhaust marks on white paint.

Wow... It really, really works with a little elbow grease, highly recommend.

Last edited:
Yep, I lay on a creeper and smear an entire tub on the belly with a big wad of paper towels, clean the rest of the plane, then rinse the belly...very little scrubbing required, basically at the doublers and rivet heads. It just melts the oil and grime off.

It's completely safe too...not corrosive like some of the other nasty stuff that people clean airplanes with (Castrol purple cleaner).

So I was buying some cleaning stuff today,

The usual suspects, lemon pledge for my windows, some meguiars leather care as I haven't ordered any Connolly Hide Food yet, Lucas Speed wax (great stuff),
and I tried something new, GoJo hand cleaner (non pumice) for exhaust marks on white paint.

Wow... It really, really works with a little elbow grease, highly recommend.

Yep, GoJo works, and if you have stain remaining, a bit of Flitz polish will take the rest away.

RUB MAH BELLEH!!!

(I think I'm channeling my inner-troll today.)

Gunk "Engine Brite," spray it on, lightly brush the REALLY bad spots.......hose it off.

Don't make this job any more difficult.

MD_EB1.jpg

Any lighter hydrocarbon will clean the heavier hydrocarbon. The nice thing about GoJo is it's Lanolin and doesn't have negative affects on your skin and nervous system.

Used WD40 last time I washed the airplane, seemed to work fine.

It works on so many things.

I was cleaning yellow glue (contact adhesive) off skins using MEK. Cessna used a snotty non-drying putty on a lot of stuff and WD40 worked much better on the putty goop.

Tape residue? WD40

Gunk "Engine Brite," spray it on, lightly brush the REALLY bad spots.......hose it off.

Don't make this job any more difficult.

Non-corrosive on aluminum?. I wouldn't bet on it. Try the military test and let us know.

Non-corrosive on aluminum?. I wouldn't bet on it. Try the military test and let us know.

Can you just imagine the hot rod and custom car people using this stuff and having it ruin their aluminum manifolds? These people (and I) have been using Gunk for over 60 years.:yes:

No. It is not harmful to aluminum in any way.:no:

It's just Naptha in a spray can is all. You can buy it by the gallon for way less and put it in a pump sprayer. The Gunk stuff in no way affects aluminum.

Hand cleaners (non-grit) work well for removing bugs from leading edges, too, but watch the citrus types. The acid might damage old paint if it's left on a long time. I used to use Fast Orange cream hand cleaner; worked well, but wipe and rinse within a few minutes.

GoJo hand cleaner, I believe, is mostly just jellied paint thinner with surfactants to allow emulsifying with water. The label should say something like "petroleum distillates."

Dan

Hand cleaners (non-grit) work well for removing bugs from leading edges, too, but watch the citrus types. The acid might damage old paint if it's left on a long time. I used to use Fast Orange cream hand cleaner; worked well, but wipe and rinse within a few minutes.

GoJo hand cleaner, I believe, is mostly just jellied paint thinner with surfactants to allow emulsifying with water. The label should say something like "petroleum distillates."

Dan

Ph of Fast Orange is pretty neutral, MSDS sheet lists it 6-8.5, not a great worry either.

Ditto on the tub of non-pumice GoJo for the belly. It's a nasty job but that stuff makes it easier.

Make sure you get it out of the weep holes afterward so it doesn't hold water in places water shouldn't stay.

Haven't tried the GoJo but have used kerosene with good results. It will even dry with a light haze that can be buffed or simply rinsed off.

Hey guys, sometimes these industrial cleaners have side effects that aren't apparent for quite sometime. Check out www.planeperfect.us for some aviation specific stuff that's been tested on all types of surfaces.

Hey guys, sometimes these industrial cleaners have side effects that aren't apparent for quite sometime. Check out www.planeperfect.us for some aviation specific stuff that's been tested on all types of surfaces.

Well the GoJo doesn't hurt anything and is like 4 bucks, vs your product at like $30.

Lemon pledge is about 3 bucks vs yours at 18, and lemon pledge has been used for decades and decades.

Lucas fast wax spray doesn't hurt anything and is like 6-8bucks, also smells really good.

connolly hide food is the same price as your interior cleaner, but it's got a long history of use on the highest end leather upholstery on earth.

Maybe if you can show history with your products, get some type groups to review them and cut your prices by 75% as well as getting nation wide store distributors so I don't have to order it, I may consider it.

Nice attempt at a plug though :thumbsup:

Can you just imagine the hot rod and custom car people using this stuff and having it ruin their aluminum manifolds? These people (and I) have been using Gunk for over 60 years.:yes:

No. It is not harmful to aluminum in any way.:no:

Interesting. Back in 2004, when I was still in Harrison, AR. The pilots club tested various cleaners that various pilots were using on their plane. This test was orchestrated by a retired full bird colonel, two tour Squadron Exectuve Officer in 'nam. It was because of Colonel Al that I was educated on "the military test." Here were the results:

Report on Causticity of various cleaners Best to Worst:

GoJo white cream No etching
Dow ‘Scrubbing Bubbles” very minor etching
Fantastik “orange” minor etching
Gunk “Engine Brite” moderate etching
Simple Green significant etching
Castrol Degreaser (purple stuff) destruction

YMMV.

Besides there is a LOT of difference between the thickness of manifold aluminum and airplane skin. Also, manifolds don't have significant amounts of lap joints for cleaners to get trapped in where they can't be flushed out.

Interesting. Back in 2004, when I was still in Harrison, AR. The pilots club tested various cleaners that various pilots were using on their plane. This test was orchestrated by a retired full bird colonel, two tour Squadron Exectuve Officer in 'nam. It was because of Colonel Al that I was educated on "the military test." Here were the results:

YMMV.

Besides there is a LOT of difference between the thickness of manifold aluminum and airplane skin. Also, manifolds don't have significant amounts of lap joints for cleaners to get trapped in where they can't be flushed out.

Interesting

Could you describe the test??

YMMV.

One of the tricks for moving oil from where ya don't want it to be is to hit it with a little caustic because it can convert some of the oil to be a surfactant. Basically you generate the soap right where you want it by using a high Ph liquid. Of course that can be bad for Aluminum...

Interesting

Could you describe the test??

It's pretty simple. Soak a piece of aluminum skin in straight cleaner for 7 days.

Most recently I tested the "Awesome" cleaner that's available at Dollar General for...you guessed it...one dollar.

It was probably on par with the Fantastic in Al's original test. Minor etching. I use it on gas stains...they just melt off...but I'm very careful with it and try to keep it away from lap joints.

That's the one. If you have a Zep Distributor in the area they have a big jug, 3 times as much, for less, same thing, hydrogenated lanoline.

They have a jug of GoJo or a Zep product?

3HUX9_AS01

this one? Butyl?

YMMV.

Yup. When we developed our products we were actually pretty surprised by some of that when we studied the competition.

The thing with Gojo, IMO, isn't as much a safety thing (though as a cream or gel it *is* prone to stick in gaps and rivets) as that it's a two step process. Put crudely, it's akin to spraying wd-40 on your belly and "cleaning" by diluting the filth to the point that you can wipe most of it off. This works in the sense that it makes the belly look nice. But it does leave a residue behind that will collect filth more quickly (because the dirt adheres to the oily residue). So to actually clean the belly you need to follow gojo with a cleaning product to remove the oil.

Some people want their belly cleaned, but don't want a two step process to get there. That's my target market.

And someone mentioned price earlier, but had the wrong pricing for my products *and* for gojo. On amazon today you can buy 14oz of Gojo for $8 + shipping. On my website you can buy 16oz of Buddha Belly for $15 including shipping. Depending on amazon shipping costs (none with Prime, variable otherwise) I will be a little more expensive or a little cheaper than gojo even before including whatever is used to clean the belly the second time to get the gojo off. The MSRP of gojo is actually *much* higher than that of Buddha Belly, but of course few products actually sell for MSRP in modern times so who cares, it's the street price that matters.

Last edited:
Gunk sure shifted the color and streaked our then new Cessna nosewheel. I never tried Gojo to fix it though.

But it does leave a residue behind that will collect filth more quickly (because the dirt adheres to the oily residue).

Whelp, I'm not the chemist, I think you prolly know more about this stuff than me, but as I recall in my reactions and reductions class, along with some knowledge of the petro industry, the long chain polymers that form the additive package to the distilates actually repels typical dirt, grime, and other silica based gunk you mentioned. the opposite of asheless dispersant type lube. When I use GoJo on my hands, I can go back out and work in dirt again without it clinging to the residue on my hands once rinsed.

Again, I'm an EE, not a ChemE, but this is what I recall from way back with polymerization, and what I've learned from my daughter who is the lubricants pro for P-66.

Gunk sure shifted the color and streaked our then new Cessna nosewheel. I never tried Gojo to fix it though.

Use Flitz polish, works better on exhaust and other stains on paint or gelcoat than anything else I've found.

Adams APC ($30 for a gallon jug w/32oz spray bottle) would take it off, easily. Stuff is amazing, as is their detail spray.

Yep, I lay on a creeper and smear an entire tub on the belly with a big wad of paper towels, clean the rest of the plane, then rinse the belly...very little scrubbing required, basically at the doublers and rivet heads. It just melts the oil and grime off.

We did exactly this today. After a little oil mishap last weekend the lady was due for a bath... (I forgot to put the oil cap back and it is surprising how much 1 qt oil can make on one take off and landing... :redface:). The belly was full of oil and grime since we got her and with her left side being oily now, we had to give her the well deserved bath.

Wow, just WOW. I think our lady never had such a clean belly. And the best part is that it was nearly effortless for us... :)

Martina

I used a couple of Rick's products on the Lucky Strike not long ago. The degreaser worked better than anything I've used, and the wax gave a really great shine. The cleaner takes bugs off better than anything else I've used, and that includes things like Lemon Pledge, which gets rid of your wax job along with the bugs. Didn't even have to use scrubbies on the bugs, a first.

I just have a hard time pinching pennies on something on which my life and the lives of my loved ones are going to depend.

I used a couple of Rick's products on the Lucky Strike not long ago. The degreaser worked better than anything I've used, and the wax gave a really great shine. The cleaner takes bugs off better than anything else I've used, and that includes things like Lemon Pledge, which gets rid of your wax job along with the bugs. Didn't even have to use scrubbies on the bugs, a first.

I just have a hard time pinching pennies on something on which my life and the lives of my loved ones are going to depend.

But were talking cleaning products, not airworthness directives.

True, but I am nonetheless profligate on the aircraft out of habit.

My philosophy is that I will spend every penny I need to...but not one penny more (with a few exceptions...but rare exceptions).

If GoJo does a great job for less than $2/tub then why would I buy a $25...$50 cleaner?

Question....

Why do you allow the belly to get so dirty that you must use a special cleaner?

Question....

I'd wager because they fly their aircraft outside of the traffic pattern....

Question....

MYOB. What I do with my belly is my business...oh, that's not what you meant, nevermind.

Back