I did my first stupid thing...

bordman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bordman
I was parking the ol' archer up after fueling and hit the metal bracket of the tiedown on the prop. Took a huge chunk out of it while my instructor just looked at me and shook his head. Never felt so stupid. WHY DIDNT I TURN WIDE ENOUGH.

There's a grand down the hole.

*sigh*

I was parking the ol' archer up after fueling and hit the metal bracket of the tiedown on the prop. Took a huge chunk out of it while my instructor just looked at me and shook his head. Never felt so stupid. WHY DIDNT I TURN WIDE ENOUGH.

*sigh*

Metal bracket ?????

Sorry for your setback...:redface:

Do not know about archers, and not entirely sure though in my Cessna that would qualify as a prop strike, and requires major engine surgical intervention, costing way more than a grand.

Do not know about archers, and not entirely sure though in my Cessna that would qualify as a prop strike, and requires major engine surgical intervention, costing way more than a grand.

Lycoming on there so yeah

*sigh*

:needpics:

Well luckily it's insured. I have to pay the deductible. New prop is all that is in order from my understanding of it.

Well luckily it's insured. I have to pay the deductible. New prop is all that is in order from my understanding of it.

Was it running?

Disregard that line above

Please read this
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/9fa5e5f8683a0a4686256e9b004bc295/$FILE/041014.pdf

Particularly this line defining a propeller strike
"(i) For the purposes of this AD, a propeller strike is defined as follows:
(1) Any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, that requires repair to the propeller other than minor dressing of the blades."

That engine needs more than a prop.

Last edited:
So your CFI was in the plane with you? I would think that he'd be PIC and legally responsible.

I'm always very careful around tiedowns because it's possible to suck the rope into the intake and cause sudden stoppage, requiring a teardown.

Ive never seen a tiedown anchor that was tall enough to get hit by a prop...obviously you could have done better at avoiding it, but still... it shouldn't present a hazard for anything except maybe the nosewheel.

Ive never seen a tiedown anchor that was tall enough to get hit by a prop...obviously you could have done better at avoiding it, but still... it shouldn't present a hazard for anything except maybe the nosewheel.

I've never seen one tall enough either...

IMO if your instructor was in the airplane you should not be paying the deductible. I take full responsibility for anything that happens while I'm instructing, especially if it's primary instruction in an airplane I'm associated with.

Don't CFI's carry an insurance policy for just such an event?

IMO if your instructor was in the airplane you should not be paying the deductible. I take full responsibility for anything that happens while I'm instructing, especially if it's primary instruction in an airplane I'm associated with.

I agree with that. Especially for a primary student.

Now if the trainee is a 1000 hour vfr only pilot training for IR in his own aircraft... I don't think the instructor would be responsible in that situation.

Sorry to hear that, man. I agree with the general sentiment expressed here that you should be able to taxi around tiedowns without danger of prop strike, but here we see that that is sometimes not the case.

I don't know where you are in your training, but if a CFI was in the plane it seems like there's a good case to be made that it was his "fault", and not yours. Was he acting PIC? Is the acting PIC always responsible, legally, in the case of something like this? I have no idea, since I'm not an aviation lawyer, but it's worth getting the answers to those questions before signing anything, writing a check, or whatever. Was it your plane? A rental? Check out the agreement too, and, in the latter case, the insurance rider.

You may well be on the hook for this, but I wouldn't take it for granted.

if you chunked the prop I'm thinking a teardown is in order as well . . .. little bit more than $1000 .... or at least a caliper on the crank . . .

Archers have Lycoming engines. Lycoming requires a tear-down & inspection for prop strikes. And I know this how...? The Colorado people know of whence I speak concerning the close mating of a prop attached to my cherokee and the electric tug...

But the A&P at the shop will be the final authority on your prop damage.

Last edited:
Archers have Lycoming engines. Lycoming requires a tear-down & inspection for prop strikes. And I know this how...? The Colorado people know of whence I speak concerning the close mating of a prop attached to my cherokee and the electric tug...

But the A&P at the shop will be the final authority on your prop damage.

FAA is the final authority here, if it needs more than a quick hit with a file tear that mother down.

I'd bet good money nothing is wrong with it but the AD stands regardless.

So your CFI was in the plane with you? I would think that he'd be PIC and legally responsible.

I'm always very careful around tiedowns because it's possible to suck the rope into the intake and cause sudden stoppage, requiring a teardown.

mmmm if it was primary training I'd say ok but if the pilot has his ticket and is just getting a BFR or doing an IPC I can't see how that is the CFI's responsibility.

Nor I.

Not sure how using a tow bar instead of the tow buddy would help with this.

I only reply based on experience. Had an hour to burn and stopped by the airport for a quick few laps around the pattern. I am in the airplane and ready to start and just couldn't shake an uneasy feeling, so I got out to take one last look. My Tow buddy was still connected to the nose gear. I had nearly done exactly what the OP did do. Since that time I always take one last walk around the airplane before climbing in.

My tow bar seldom comes out of the holding brackets.

FAA is the final authority here, if it needs more than a quick hit with a file tear that mother down.

I'd bet good money nothing is wrong with it but the AD stands regardless.

Not sure about Lycs, but with Continents, I seem to recall that the tripwire for whether or not it needed a teardown was if the prop had to be removed to repair the damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I only reply based on experience. Had an hour to burn and stopped by the airport for a quick few laps around the pattern. I am in the airplane and ready to start and just couldn't shake an uneasy feeling, so I got out to take one last look. My Tow buddy was still connected to the nose gear. I had nearly done exactly what the OP did do. Since that time I always take one last walk around the airplane before climbing in.

My tow bar seldom comes out of the holding brackets.

In what post did the OP say the towbar was the problem?:dunno::dunno::confused:

"Errors in this phase of operations tend to be quite expensive"
...and of course you will revered around Greenwood's pilot community for quite some time....though it will pass....

If your repairing a prop strike be prepared for some surprises in cost called betterment. If the parts need to be replaced or overhauled your insurance company may try to hit you with a copay saying that since the prop was halfway to tbo, they will only pay for half the cost to repair it as you are getting a fresh overhaul out of the deal. Don't expect to find this little gem in your policy.

Not sure about Lycs, but with Continents, I seem to recall that the tripwire for whether or not it needed a teardown was if the prop had to be removed to repair the damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That is one trip, and if the damage is as described by the OP it does.

Now on TCM engines the inspection is a SB so it can be ignored by 91 operators, on lycomings that is not the case as it is mandated by AD

If your repairing a prop strike be prepared for some surprises in cost called betterment. If the parts need to be replaced or overhauled your insurance company may try to hit you with a copay saying that since the prop was halfway to tbo, they will only pay for half the cost to repair it as you are getting a fresh overhaul out of the deal. Don't expect to find this little gem in your policy.

Only if it's a CS prop. Fixed pitch props are covered 100%. At least mine was when I picked up some FOD w/ my 172 about 8 years ago and ruined a prop. Company was AIG.

Not making a statement here about the OP...since he has an Archer...just in general (though maybe I'm incorrect in my assumption that all Archers are CS).

BTW...to the OP...if this was your first stupid move then you're way ahead of most of us! Or, should I say most of us are way ahead of you...in pulling stupid stunts.

Last edited:
mmmm if it was primary training I'd say ok but if the pilot has his ticket and is just getting a BFR or doing an IPC I can't see how that is the CFI's responsibility.

Nor I.

Generally speaking, the CFI is the acting PIC during any dual he/she is giving. It doesn't matter if the person receiving t.he dual is a 10 hour student or 10,000 hour ATP with 15 type ratings..

Metal bracket ?????

Sorry for your setback...:redface:

Yes, not the hook on the ground but the ratchet style "rope"

Example

It is primary training. But i was alone in the plane so I was PIC I would imagine.

Back