I did my first stupid thing...

Uhhh, I think they believe he's liable because he was the one that did the damage.

Does my brain just work strangely, or does this not make sense to ya'll??

... I'm saying that a group that will benefit from the advice given is not unbiased. I didn't say that they were wrong. I'm suggesting getting another opinion.

1- I think Chris @ DTN pretty much answered the question of why ratchet straps make a POOR aircraft tie down....

2- You are a pre solo student pilot under the supervision of a FAA approved instructor. It is his/her responsibility to make sure your actions are safe...

3- Whoever decided to use that style of tie down straps should be given the bill...:yes:

Who was PIC? The pre-solo student or the brain-dead doofus in the right seat? What else should the CFI have been doing other than paying attention to the student's actions?

Did the plane have brakes on both sides? of the two people in the plane, which of them had or should have had more knowledge about the potential hazard?
Uhhh, I think they believe he's liable because he was the one that did the damage.

Does my brain just work strangely, or does this not make sense to ya'll??

Who was PIC? The pre-solo student or the brain-dead doofus in the right seat? What else should the CFI have been doing other than paying attention to the student's actions?

Did the plane have brakes on both sides? of the two people in the plane, which of them had or should have had more knowledge about the potential hazard?

Right seat was empty

Wayne, your premise misses the fact that the instructor wasn't in the aircraft, nor had the student been solo endorsed.

I'm thinking that unless cool heads prevail, this could wind up ugly. I see no trend of people stepping up and doing the right thing these days, so the boxer's motto applies: "Protect yourself at all times".

Depending on whether or not one cares about maintaing a positive relationship with the FBO combined with the expense of a lawyer one is probably better off just paying the $1,000 even if they aren't technically liable.

Ever heard the term, "scapegoating"?

I think you nailed it. My relationship ends ends about two minutes after I'm sure you're trying to screw me for something you should have prevented. To paraphrase our famous Cowboys linebacker, "what do pre-solo mean?"

A lawyer letter costs less than $200 in this market and simply provides notice of representation. It wouldn't be my first move, but would immediately follow any "we think you're liable for" conversation.

Depending on whether or not one cares about maintaing a positive relationship with the FBO combined with the expense of a lawyer one is probably better off just paying the $1,000 even if they aren't technically liable.

I think any design that has tie-down anchors sticking up in the air is bone-headed, and the airport sponsor ought to change that.

But as far as liability? I say, "Cowboy-up, buddy." Make the claim, pay the deductible, move on.

In that case I mis-read the post. I thought he said his instructor just looked him and took it to mean immediately. If he was solo, it's his nickel.

OP was the only one in the plane at the time of the incident

At DTN the airport decided to replace all the nylon ropes with ratcheting style flat strap tie downs. What they found was (after having to buy two 3 blade props) was the lift of the nylon straps was greater than the weight of the metal and plastic ratchet assemblies. It turns out good ol' rope was less prone to being vacuumed up by a prop when it was taxied over.
We now have rope. Again.

There have been many times I have chickened out when I needed to taxi over a rope. It just looked too simple for the prop to pick it up and be potentially fouled in the rope. I also have strap style tie downs but they are the slip style and not ratcheting. Regardless they could also be sucked up and could damage the prop. Seems the simpler way to handle this is to put the darn tie-downs in the airplane and eliminate them from the equation.

In that case I mis-read the post. I thought he said his instructor just looked him and took it to mean immediately. If he was solo, it's his nickel.

I respectively disagree....

The OP said he was parking the plane while the instructor stood outside but within range of scrutiny.... Hence the quote " while my instructor just looked at me and shook his head. ".......

The instructor, unless he is a quadraplegic, could and should have waved their arms and started shouting WHOA at the beginning of the "too tight turn"..... IMHO..

Last edited:
I am not defending the short-term pain of who pays $1,000 bucks. Whomever does will whine about it for a few minutes and that's the end of that. Those CFI's are thinking of their long term records and this student is not yet cognizant of that fact.

To be honest, there is plenty of oops to go around. How about if the student, cfi, and fbo split the fbo's deductible and the fbo makes the claim? :p

As a new, pre-solo student and a probable future revenue stream for this FBO I would let it be known that if they intend to hold you liable for the insurance deductible on this then you are going to learn to fly somewhere else.

There was no gross negligence on your part and those tie-down straps are a hazard that should be removed from the ramp. Were you instructed or specifically warned that something like this could occur while taxiing to the parking spot?

Back