I did it! My solo

Notarock

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Notarock
So I have been reading this site for awhile but decided to come out of the dark corner and make a post.

My background in aviation includes

1. Watching the movie Airplane about 100 times
2. A very short love affair with throwing myself out of a plane that I gave up on this summer because I became uneasy with the risks

So, I have no real background at all.

After deciding I didn't want to skydive, I felt empty and just wanted to be in the sky. I woke up one day and thought, why not be a pilot?

So I impulsively called the local flight school at a nearby airport and showed up for a discovery flight.

Being a bit unsure of myself, not sure as the only female student if I'd even be taken seriously, I started the journey.

After the first 4 hours flying, I was sure that I was wasting my money. I was starting landings and I was terrible, and on top of that, I had a tendency to swear like a pirate and play damsel in distress simultaneously when a landing went wrong.

Clearly I wasn't made for flying.

A few drives to the airport I wanted to just give up. Around 12 hours I plateaued.
I could land with a lot of verbal assistance, but I wasn't making an inch of progress.

Then after a few more hours it clicked. Something clicked and my feet used the rudders with little thought, I was able to multitask and control airspeed, flap and watch altitude and make radio calls without forgetting something.

I still swore now and then landing, but it was reduced to one word and was followed by immediate correction of the issue. (As well as the usual question from my CFI who asked if I was going to swear with passengers in the plane?) I went home one day and realized I was finally confident.

The word solo was brought up at 16 hours, but I was assured that we would do it at a neighboring airport since my home base was a short field runway and very narrow, with little room for error.

Another 4 hours and a month passed, plagued by terrible weather and a terrible work schedule, solo became a distant thought. Until this week.

On Tuesday, another flight cancelled because of bad weather, my CFI informed me at the end of ground instruction the plan for my next lesson, weather depending, was my solo.

I wish he never told me, time allows your imagination to grow very creative.

I also opened my mouth and told some pilot friends about my upcoming big day...which I realized is even worse, because what if my CFI was joking, or I screwed up all my landings and he changed his mind...I couldn't even image the shame!

Fridays weather was perfect. I arrived at the airport and change of plans...we are staying at home doing landings and take offs on our short runway. I go with it, figuring the majority of my bad landings happen here and the only thing I can do it try. I did four circuits, with not a word from the right seat, until he told me to stop and get my logbook out.

Oh boy, I figure now is the time I should confess and let him know I've been faking my cool demeanor and confidence all day. All I manage to say though is
"hey, I'm a little nervous", to which he replies:
"You shouldn't be, but a little nervous is good"
Then he hops out of the plane.

I was thinking to myself ,well that confession didn't go well.
I shrugged, got ready and made my radio call.

Then I took off.
First thoughts:

1. Man this plane is trying to jump off the runway
2. I knew it was going to climb quick but I'm almost at pattern altitude and I just turned crosswind.
3. As I turned downwind the grandiosity of the moment hit me. I was not a bit nervous, I was excited, I talked to myself the whole leg of the pattern.

I glided a lot more landing, but I expected it. I taxied off and I heard my CFI over radio congratulate me and tell me simply: do it again.

So I did.

Then I did it a third time.

I was singing the batman theme song to myself on my downwind...you know the nanananana Batman!

And forgot to reduce my RPM's and put flaps...I did it eventually but it was actually the first time I swore my whole first solo. I was proud.

Another amazing landing, I was ready to bring the plane home when my instructor asked if I wanted one more. And I did, so I did.

As I pulled up to the fuel pumps and got out of the plane, I was more excited than I could have imagined. In fact I was told after I was probably the most excited student after soloing they've seen in a longtime. As I stood for pictures with the plane, the older pilots that drink coffee in the office every morning opened all the windows along the side of the building and all I could see was hands hanging out the numerous windows, all clapping.

My standing ovation. The mental picture of the whole day I will never forget. A few came out to tell me my landings were actually really nice as well.

So that was my solo. Moving on, but I can't imagine another milestone being as big as being in a plane, above the earth, by yourself for the very first time.

Hope to be able to contribute here more and more as I gain experience.

And for what it's worth, I'm very proud to have solo'd at 20 hours, it's what worked for me:)

Congratulations! While the first Solo is a great experience, just wait until your first solo XC. My first solo XC was when it really hit me. Keep with it and good luck!

That is one hell if a first post. Don't make it your last.

Congrats.

Welcome to POA

Damn.
Best thing I have read on here in a month.

Please keep posting.

Congratulations!

Nice job, congrats

Congrats,and welcome to the blog. It only gets better. Enjoy ,remember this is supposed to be fun

Thank you for sharing your experience. As others have already stated one of the best posts I've seen in a long time.

Congrats!!! And keep sharing....pilots old and new love the discription and detail.

Awesome story!!!

very interesting write up. Congratulations!!!

Now that you are a solo pilot can I jump out of your plane?

Wow, thanks guys. I consider the replies a continuation of my solo high.

Greg: of course you can jump out, I assume anyone brave enough to get in a plane with me at this moment of my training will naturally be trying to jump out.

Natural instincts to live and all

So I have been reading this site for awhile but decided to come out of the dark corner and make a post.

My background in aviation includes

1. Watching the movie Airplane about 100 times
2. A very short love affair with throwing myself out of a plane that I gave up on this summer because I became uneasy with the risks

So, I have no real background at all.

After deciding I didn't want to skydive, I felt empty and just wanted to be in the sky. I woke up one day and thought, why not be a pilot?

So I impulsively called the local flight school at a nearby airport and showed up for a discovery flight.

Being a bit unsure of myself, not sure as the only female student if I'd even be taken seriously, I started the journey.

After the first 4 hours flying, I was sure that I was wasting my money. I was starting landings and I was terrible, and on top of that, I had a tendency to swear like a pirate and play damsel in distress simultaneously when a landing went wrong.

Clearly I wasn't made for flying.

A few drives to the airport I wanted to just give up. Around 12 hours I plateaued.
I could land with a lot of verbal assistance, but I wasn't making an inch of progress.

Then after a few more hours it clicked. Something clicked and my feet used the rudders with little thought, I was able to multitask and control airspeed, flap and watch altitude and make radio calls without forgetting something.

I still swore now and then landing, but it was reduced to one word and was followed by immediate correction of the issue. (As well as the usual question from my CFI who asked if I was going to swear with passengers in the plane?) I went home one day and realized I was finally confident.

The word solo was brought up at 16 hours, but I was assured that we would do it at a neighboring airport since my home base was a short field runway and very narrow, with little room for error.

Another 4 hours and a month passed, plagued by terrible weather and a terrible work schedule, solo became a distant thought. Until this week.

On Tuesday, another flight cancelled because of bad weather, my CFI informed me at the end of ground instruction the plan for my next lesson, weather depending, was my solo.

I wish he never told me, time allows your imagination to grow very creative.

I also opened my mouth and told some pilot friends about my upcoming big day...which I realized is even worse, because what if my CFI was joking, or I screwed up all my landings and he changed his mind...I couldn't even image the shame!

Fridays weather was perfect. I arrived at the airport and change of plans...we are staying at home doing landings and take offs on our short runway. I go with it, figuring the majority of my bad landings happen here and the only thing I can do it try. I did four circuits, with not a word from the right seat, until he told me to stop and get my logbook out.

Oh boy, I figure now is the time I should confess and let him know I've been faking my cool demeanor and confidence all day. All I manage to say though is
"hey, I'm a little nervous", to which he replies:
"You shouldn't be, but a little nervous is good"
Then he hops out of the plane.

I was thinking to myself ,well that confession didn't go well.
I shrugged, got ready and made my radio call.

Then I took off.
First thoughts:

1. Man this plane is trying to jump off the runway
2. I knew it was going to climb quick but I'm almost at pattern altitude and I just turned crosswind.
3. As I turned downwind the grandiosity of the moment hit me. I was not a bit nervous, I was excited, I talked to myself the whole leg of the pattern.

I glided a lot more landing, but I expected it. I taxied off and I heard my CFI over radio congratulate me and tell me simply: do it again.

So I did.

Then I did it a third time.

I was singing the batman theme song to myself on my downwind...you know the nanananana Batman!

And forgot to reduce my RPM's and put flaps...I did it eventually but it was actually the first time I swore my whole first solo. I was proud.

Another amazing landing, I was ready to bring the plane home when my instructor asked if I wanted one more. And I did, so I did.

As I pulled up to the fuel pumps and got out of the plane, I was more excited than I could have imagined. In fact I was told after I was probably the most excited student after soloing they've seen in a longtime. As I stood for pictures with the plane, the older pilots that drink coffee in the office every morning opened all the windows along the side of the building and all I could see was hands hanging out the numerous windows, all clapping.

My standing ovation. The mental picture of the whole day I will never forget. A few came out to tell me my landings were actually really nice as well.

So that was my solo. Moving on, but I can't imagine another milestone being as big as being in a plane, above the earth, by yourself for the very first time.

Hope to be able to contribute here more and more as I gain experience.

And for what it's worth, I'm very proud to have solo'd at 20 hours, it's what worked for me:)

Is that you Kimberly Ann?

Seriously, congratulations on the solo. Hang in there and see it through!

Is that you Kimberly Ann?

Seriously, congratulations on the solo. Hang in there and see it through!

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not Kimberly, but I'm excited to know that someone else out in this world is like me.

My name is Meagan from Michigan, I guess I should fill out my profile a bit more.

Thanks for the congrats!

Congrats and welcome to POA. I still vividly remember the brief moment of terror I felt welling up inside as I broke ground and realized I had to get the thing back down by myself if I expected to live through it. That was quickly pushed away by focus and enjoyment for the rest of my patterns.

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not Kimberly, but I'm excited to know that someone else out in this world is like me.

My name is Meagan from Michigan, I guess I should fill out my profile a bit more.

Thanks for the congrats!

My comment about Kimberly Ann referred to another young lady who was a frequent poster here and on another pilot forum about three or four years ago. Her first post was a little like yours except she was having lots of trouble with instructors and flight schools. She persevered and went on to get her private pilot certificate. She chronicled the whole process here as she went along.

If you have extra time, you might find it interesting to search for a user named Kimberly and read some of her posts from the beginning to end of her training.

I haven't thought about Kim in a while. I hope she is doing well.

I also hope that you will stay with it and follow it all the way though to your certificate. There is a lot of encouragement, instruction and support available right here on this forum.

Very best of luck.

Kimberly posts occasionally. Last I heard, she got laid off and was looking for work.

I don't see a lot of parallels, though. I've only met Kim once in person, despite her being a local. She didn't swear once. :)

She had a lot of trouble as a student learning landing and wanted to give up, with a few times more time than the OP. You and me both were there at one point, too -- and at about the same time. Not at all rare.

She finished and became the unofficial NorCal social organizer for a time.

Congrats to the OP.

Thanks for the update MAK.

I was about to open a thread asking if anyone had heard from Kim, but you gave us the update. I was a little worried when I tried to check her website and the URL is now unused.

The only real parallels between Kim and Meagan is that they are both young ladies excited enough about their flight training to log in and write about it. Since there are not a lot of young ladies that just decide to start taking up flying, it's not the same as many other students who log into the forum to tell about their training. You know... the "woman's intuition" and all.

Meagan,

We look forward to hearing about your training. Keep it up!

Great story, congrats! It all goes quickly from here, I hope we hear about your checkride in the not too distant future!

Congratulations, Meagan!
I recognize the "swear like a pirate and play damsel in distress simultaneously" scenario from my time learning to land (and a few other maneuvers, as well)! As girls, we are used to falling back on that "damsel" and this is one situation where she can't come out to play!

Welcome to the club! And again, congratulations. So happy for you and always good to see another "girl" learn to love to fly. It's magic.

Thanks again everyone!

This week is my first XC flight....(if you don't count the fact that most of my take off and landing practices happen at very close by airports due to the short field runways at home).

I definitely have a lot of thoughts to share on navigating a plane and finding the right place, and landing on the right runway. I have an uncanny ability to make my GPS in my car angry sometimes.

This is a very interesting adventure I've started and can't wait to share it with all who want to hear about it!

I'm anxious to hear about it.

From your comments, it sounds as if you will be using GPS for your student XC's. Has your instructor gone over charts, plotters, E6B's and such? You know, pilotage? Just a curiosity question.

As someone else in the thread pointed out, once you solo, it will progress quickly.

Looking forward to hearing all about it. Best of luck.

Congrats!! I am at 18 hrs and my Solo (weather permitting) is this Friday. I am pumped. Loved reading about your experience!

What a great read....Congratulations! Where in Michigan are you flying out of?

From your comments, it sounds as if you will be using GPS for your student XC's. Has your instructor gone over charts, plotters, E6B's and such? You know, pilotage?

The plane has GPS and I've been given a crash course on how to use it just in case. My comment was more in reference to my natural navigational skills in life.

But no, I have my paper sectional, and will be planning my XC using that and finding landmarks and all that good stuff!

Congrats Meagan.

Kimberly is still 'round. She's picked up a habit of turning wrenches and helping out at Reno, judging by the occasional post on FB.

The plane has GPS and I've been given a crash course on how to use it just in case. My comment was more in reference to my natural navigational skills in life.

But no, I have my paper sectional, and will be planning my XC using that and finding landmarks and all that good stuff!

Technically you want the anti-crash course. ;)

Back