I Declared an Emergency Today (long)

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
I'm supposed to be in Teeterboro, NJ after a 4 1/2 hour flight from Atlanta. I'm not. I'm sitting in a hotel room in Glen Allen, VA. I was at 9,000' beautiful VMC day about 5 pm, 162 kts over the ground all instuments PERFECT. And the engine stopped. Total disbelief and denial, but I did go to work, I think in this order: boost pump on, switch tanks, started trimming for best glide (90 to 100 kts), push the PTT and declared an emergency with Potomic Approach, look on the GPS for what's closest. Hanover County KOFP was closest, maybe 20 away. I told Approach that's where I was headed and started some other trouble shooting. Every imaginable mixture position and throttle position, tried L then R mag. Still nothing but a windmilling engine. The controller acknowledged my plan, but mentioned a private strip a couple miles behind me. That was a sure thing and KOFP may not have been possible (I'll never know for sure). The controller very patiently kept giving me vectors and turns because I couldn't see the strip (3900' and paved), although I should have been right on top of it. Altimeter kept unwinding and the temptation to slow it below best glide was very strong. The controller tried to give me my own frequency but I couldn't get anyone on it. Went back to the original one and continued to pretty much block his frequency. He got in a couple calls to other aircraft, but mainly he took care of me.

I finally found the strip which was hard to see because it was well shaded with trees running along the west side and the sun was sinking. Orbited a couple of times, dropped the gear and made an uneventful landing. I called for a relay back to Approach to tell them I was safely down.

This turned out to be a private strip, owned by a rock quarry company that uses it for their King Air. There was nothing around so I called 911. Eventually a maintenance man from the company who had been called out to unlock the gates, two local police cars and a state police car came. Took down my info. The state trooper kept saying how glad he was I hadn't landed on his interstate. I found out from him that the local FSDO wants to come see the plane (not sure about why that is?)

The maintenance guy brought me to the hotel. I've called the FBO at the closest real airport and their maintenance opens at 8 am tomorrow. I hope they make house calls.

I'm still a bit hyper about this, and writing this down has been a help.

By the way I called Potomic Approach and was able to talk to the controller who helped me. I thanked him profusely. He said it worked like it was supposed to work. These guys are great.

And also, I am a religious person and I'm very grateful that God likes to fly in small airplanes.

Nice work keeping cool. Hope it works out.

James Dean

Glad to hear you landed OK Lance. keep us informed about what happened. Dave G.

Lance,

Glad it worked out OK. Sounds like you did a great job - good work! And good work from the controller, too.

Some FSDOs apparently require paperwork when emergency handling is involved. Some don't. My guess is they want to see the plane to try and find out what happened... hope your logs are accurate and up to date!

Lance,
Great job in a tough situation. I'm going to be interested to hear what the problem was, but am especially relieved to hear that you're OK. Please keep us posted.

Sounds like you did just fine there Lance! Hopefully you'll be able to get your and your bird back on your way to NJ in short order. :yes:

Congrats Lance! Sounds like you did a great job! Write everything down and don't worry too much about it. I had an off-field landing one time when I was teaching....I know thats an icky feeling to be up there and have to use those great skills you have learned.

Good Job! You walked away AND you can use the airplane again! Good Job!

Good job. It worked out just like it's supposed to.

Keep us updated on what went wrong.

A good reminder to everyone about making sure that you remain proficent with those skills.

Lance, glad to hear you are okay. I assume you may have work related pressure to complete the trip to Teterboro. If you think you might at some point tonight or tomorrow wish a Mooney flight to Teterboro please send me a PM or email and I will reply with phone numbers.

Lance;
I'm glad it worked out for you. You and ATC were really on the ball. With luck, if met with that same type of problem, I hope I'm as cool as you seemed to have been.
Could FSDO want to check the plane for "fuel" issues? I'm not sure if you're in a position to stop them, but I might rethink letting them near.

WOW!
What we all spend hours worrying about comes to life for you. GREAT job!

Lance, wow, I'm glad it turned out okay. You did well. That is an experience to give you pause. I'm glad you had that controller.

Very glad to hear you are OK. Also very happy to hear that you handled the engine-out with such professionalism and strength of character. Please keep us posted.

Nice work, Lance!!! It's a challenge...I know...I had an airspeed indicator failure at 200 feet AGL in IMC off BJC in Denver. The controller was also a great help. The paperwork was all a formality, and I'm sure it will be for you, too.

I had a hard time at first flying in conditions similar to what I was in when I had the failure. Every time I wanted to launch into IFR I got a huge stomach ache. I solicited the advice of pilots in my flying club, and they told me to "get back on the horse and ride" because they knew I had the skills. The advice worked....I got past that icky feeling in my stomach and just flew. So, if you get that stomach ache, just fly because we all know you have the skills!!!! :)

Laura

Lance--(high five!!). Sounds like you did things right, the controller helped and the airport was below. You also were talking to Center which eliminated what could have been trying to find help on the radio--great job!!

When preparation meets opportunity!!

Dave

Excellent job Lance! You and the controller did a complimentary job and made it happen. I hope I don't face this scenerio in the future, but if I did, skills that you have learned and performed would definitely be needed.

Good luck and keep us posted! :yes:

Wow!

Great job! Sounds as if you handled it perfectly. May we all have your cool head when it hits the fan.

First, ya done good!

The FSDO probably got called by the cops or maybe ATC, given the nature of the situation. I'd expect them to want primarily to know why the engine quit, so be prepared to have your aircraft logs requested, but they'll also probably ask to see your own pilot credentials and logs, just on general principles, so make sure your paperwork is in order (flight review, landing currency, etc). Since you handled it to perfection, there's no reason to expect anything but a pat on the back as long as your paperwork is right. You might also want to give your mechanic a "heads up" about this so he's prepared for a potential meeting with an Airworthiness Inspector about your plane's maintenance history. Keep in mind that the main thing they want to know is whether whatever happened to you is something that could happen to others, and if so, to take appropriate action to prevent it from happening again.

I can't thank everyone enough for the positive comments. They're appriciated. Actually I'm comfortable with the Feds looking at the plane if they must. There's plenty of fuel on board; we just completed a very complete and well documented annual; I'm current with everything.

Speculation...the Mooney has a Bendix D3000 mag. Both mags share a common cam that's driven from the back of the engine. If the shaft for this cam fails, then you go from 2 to zero mags in an instant. This would explain all the symptoms I can think of. However the mag is less than 400 hours old; something like this should not fail. I'll know more tomorrow and will report back.

BTW, I keep separate logbooks for my glider time and my airplane time. Wonder which one this flight should go in?:D

Your mag theory has the best "ring" for me; else, broken crank or broken camshaft. No other events or symptoms of any kind?

Nice work. Glad you're safe!

/s/ Spike

Lance,
First of all, great job. That's a situation we don't how we will handle it until it happens. I fly a 1981 201 and the double mag with a single shaft has always bothered me. What a **** poor idea from the start. I had a couple of problems with mine right after I bought the plane. After the second one I replaced the mag. I pay close attention on my run up. If I had to bet it would be the shaft. I'll be waiting to hear the rest of the story.

Lance F said:
However the mag is less than 400 hours old; something like this should not fail. I'll know more tomorrow and will report back.

BTW, I keep separate logbooks for my glider time and my airplane time. Wonder which one this flight should go in?:D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Hoo boy,..sniff, tears... should not fail... that's good. If thats that 2 mags in one case unit, you're probably right. Something in the mag drive went south.

way to handle that Lance! You done good, son!

That's why we train, now I'm gonna go do some more emergency practice.

Lance F said:
Yep, all that glider time came in handy! I think all ppl's should have glider time - engines? we don't need no stinking engines! (well, once we're up, we don't!)

Glad it turned out so very well for you!

Lance, how did you find judging the approach, energy management and all that. Ive always feared coming up short .....or zooming over the threshold at 200' and 120kts. Did you have to slip or S turn, make the turn early?

Lance F said:
I can't thank everyone enough for the positive comments. They're appriciated. Actually I'm comfortable with the Feds looking at the plane if they must. There's plenty of fuel on board; we just completed a very complete and well documented annual; I'm current with everything.

Speculation...the Mooney has a Bendix D3000 mag. Both mags share a common cam that's driven from the back of the engine. If the shaft for this cam fails, then you go from 2 to zero mags in an instant. This would explain all the symptoms I can think of. However the mag is less than 400 hours old; something like this should not fail. I'll know more tomorrow and will report back.

Glad you made it.
What was keeping you from best glide ?
Another club had a SkyHawk with some kind of "dual" mag system negated by a common part.(that's aviationese for bullsh!t !) ...I hated flying that thing.

just keep in mind, the FEDS are there to nail you to the wall, not to help you.

only give them information that they ask for, dont volunteer anything.

for good measure, dont ever carry your logs with you.

congrats on the successful outcome of your emergency, sounds like you were well trained and well practiced.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Glad you made it.
Another club had a SkyHawk with some kind of "dual" mag system negated by a common part.(that's aviationese for bullsh!t !) ...I hated flying that thing.
Don't know about Lance but I've often had an urge to push the nose down because of the perception that rate and distance are directly proportionate. Increased speed must equal increased distance, right? Of course, I know better, still the urge has been there.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Glad you made it.

Never mind Lance, my mistake...

I misread your quote saying that you RESISTED the temptation to slow below best glide. I must learn to read ALL the words...

Lance, I'm glad your rine and you handled this so well. Keep us informed on the failure point.

Really can't add anything to what others have said. Sounds like you handled it perfectly. I'm glad both you and the plane live to fly another day!

Lance. Nice job. Let us know what the culprit was. Just reinforces that practice for engine out should be done often. At least you weren't in IMC.

Lance F said:
If I'd known which mag you have, that's what my first thought would have been. I know there's an STC for the C-172's with the O-320-H2AD double mag engine to replace it with an O-320-D2J standard dual mag engine -- is such available for your plane? Let us know what happened, and if it was the mag, make sure a Malfunction/Defect Report (MDR, FAA Form 8010-4, http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa8010-4.pdf) is submitted about it.

wesleyj said:
just keep in mind, the FEDS are there to nail you to the wall, not to help you.

That's a pretty cynical view, Wes. Most feds I have come across have no intention of "nailing to the wall". Granted, there are one or two "bad apples" that perpetuate your notion, but for the most part, they are a pretty good bunch.

Nice job Lance. Best of luck with getting the probelms resolved and the paperwork.

I Second all the above comments...Glad you're OK!

This is a good reminder to all of us just how important learning "FLOWS" really are. You know...having a pattern to do all procedures in...then double checking with your checklist.

I've seen all too many pilots relying soley on the checklists. Checklists are just that...CHECKlists.

Keep up the good work and fly safe!

Great job. I am glad I am reading about this on this webboard and not hearing it on the news. That usually means everything went good.

Back