I can't believe I bought a Bo!!!

Good question. It was the first thing I asked them, and it was the first thing my wife asked me. The answer is the reason I think I got a good deal on it.

With 37 hours on the factory overhauled engine the owner started it up. But apparently he didn't have the brakes secure and he had the throttle open too wide. On starting it lurched and hit another plane causing a prop strike. So he put a new prop on it and upgraded the avionics from old King gear to mostly Garmin gear.

The repairs were well documented and followed the standards, including tear down inspection and repairing the crankshaft and case. I had a very thorough pre-buy done by an ABS certified A&P IA who is the owner of a shop that was one of the first "ABS Center of Excellence" facilities. So I trust them. They must have had 20 or 30 Bo's around. But the pre-buy did turn up around $10k of squawks, which are being repaired now at this shop. He said the plane shows signs of "good maintenance", but not necessarily good "Bonanza maintenance". But Spidey will still be there, pony tail and all.

$10k of squawks?!

As in stuff wrong with it, or upgrades you want to do?

Good looking Bo by the way, IMO the v tail would be the only way to go.

$10k of squawks?!

As in stuff wrong with it, or upgrades you want to do?

Good looking Bo by the way, IMO the v tail would be the only way to go.
There was about $2.5k of fairly major stuff. About $4k of "should be done" stuff and the rest was minor stuff. Including a bunch of $0.35 shear pins that should be replaced regularly, but never were.

But no upgrades. Someone else might have just done the $2.5k of major stuff, but I asked for all of it to be done. The mechanic assures me my plane will be top notch when he's done.

Say, are you on BeechTalk yet? No reason to stop posting here, but there are a lot of vtail owners over there. Price of admission is many photos...

brian];1667717 said:
Say, are you on BeechTalk yet? No reason to stop posting here, but there are a lot of vtail owners over there. Price of admission is many photos...

Joined it last month. Made my first post yesterday.

Joined it last month. Made my first post yesterday.

just be sure and keep your LOP snarky comments to yerself.....they're sensive people like that. :rolleyes:

The experts there will sure and set you straight.:rofl:

Last edited:
just be sure and keep your LOP snarky comments to yerself.....they're sensive people like that. :rolleyes:

He's already got the GAMIs, that will get him in the door.
He's going to need at least Two aspens and learn how to download and analyze engine monitor data for any cred. It would serve him well to learn what "red box" means before posting again. A good heavy dose of contempt for Cirrus won't hurt. BonanZas, aerostars, t bones and barons are the only planes worthy of owning.

I didn't see a "Religion" board over there, so I guess I will just have to search out individual LOP threads.
Generally, are they for it or against it?

It's all good [does the KoolAid toast thingy...] :D

BTW....I have a V-35A TC and like it. It's prolly the easiest plane to fly in the GA fleet....apart from the vertical speed/planning. The first couple times of arriving at your destination and still 3-4,000 feet above traffic pattern altitude....and you'll figure it out.:yes: I had to switch from a distance to a time continuum for let down. I now plan on 2 minutes for each 1000 feet of let down (500 fpm)....vs. using miles out.

Last edited:
By the way, it was absolutely amazing to me how much quieter this Bo is than my 172 was. I could hold a conversation inside during run-up without the headset. Besides the 3-blade prop, it has upgraded 3/8 inch plastic, which I assume counted for most of the sound reduction.

There is a lot of sound proofing in your "new bo". The floorboards likely have matting as well. One thing to go fast. Another to not feel "beat" when you get there.

You really don't have an airplane so much as an airliner! Have fun with it!

You guys going to bring the Bo out to DED tomorrow for lunch?
I'd really like to, but it is in the shop getting a bunch of pre-purchase (and pre-paid) squawks taken care of.

Back