I can never fly again.

:cornut: That is a funny I never heard before!

"At times like this I Thank God I'm an atheist!" (from what movie?)

No clue at all which movie unless it was Oh God with George Burns and John Denver.

Want a funny one? We were doing a 1890's Olio show for the second half of a theatre production. One of the skits was a humorous view about the evils of women. (Tastless by todays fanatical PC standards but everyone loved it anyway) The devil was there dealing with the situation and the lady (an unsuspecting victi, um, volunteer from the audience) kinda killed off three of the little devils. The big satan devil in charge simply watched the whole thing then slowly turned around, shook his head and did the religious crossing of himself. I guess you would have had to have been there but it put the audience, and the backstage crew, in the floor in hysterical laughter every time.

Oops. Thread drift. Sorry.

I'm gonna necromance and add

...the plane doesn't have WAAS.
...the plane doesn't have an autopilot.
...my iPad has a dead battery.
...the plane doesn't have air conditioning.
...I didn't personally oversee the engine overhaul.
...the plane doesn't have a G1000.

Haven't seen this thread before Corrosive, seems pretty right on for the majority of posters. Keep up the great satire...:yes:

There are a million reasons not to fly the ones you have listed Dont seem to be a good reason not to go flying.the only post that made sense was a lack of money.since we can't float the bill onto the taxpayers.pilots never need a reason to fly.

I'm a better pilot than all ya'll I'll take off on a 1500' grass runway 30 with winds 120@45G60 during a TS at night with 2 flats, a dead cylinder and an INOP alternator...only ******* need electricity, that's why they have the crank to put the gear down. But, I won't fly around with the gear down, that's just dorky.

None of my flying has included any of those.... Also, about the 75 ft wide runway from the first post. Really? I get the willies landing on anything wider than about 75 ft. That's what learning to fly on a 50 or 60 ft wide runway does to you, I guess.

None of my flying has included any of those.... Also, about the 75 ft wide runway from the first post. Really? I get the willies landing on anything wider than about 75 ft. That's what learning to fly on a 50 or 60 ft wide runway does to you, I guess.

Ive landed on 200 foot runways and on 50 foot runways with a Cessna. Ive also landed a glider on 200 foot wide and on 50 foot wide grass runways. Putting the glider down on 50 foot was tight but funner than hell.

Ive landed on 200 foot runways and on 50 foot runways with a Cessna. Ive also landed a glider on 200 foot wide and on 50 foot wide grass runways. Putting the glider down on 50 foot was tight but funner than hell.

My widest? Moses Lake, WA 13503x200' (Longest too) I think I flared somewhere over Yakima.

Narrowest? Roche Harbor, WA 30' wide.

My widest? Moses Lake, WA 13503x200' (Longest too) I think I flared somewhere over Yakima.

Narrowest? Roche Harbor, WA 30' wide.

I landed in Panama city which is 10,000 x 200 and only used the last 5000 feet. Turned base and intersected the runway at around 2500 feet and rolled final then fast taxxied to the fbo. When we touched down it was raining on one end of the field!

That 50 foot wide grass strip was a cutout of a farm field with a nice 1400 foot overun. The strip itself was 2500' so final was inbetween the trees around the overrun then had to keep it in the smooth grass and milk it as far down the runway as possible. (No taxiways) touched down at ~30 knots with speedbrakes closed. oodles of fun.

Well I guess it was 60 feet just looked at my poh and the wingspan is 49' and it wasn't quite that tight!

Even though I'm a student pilot, I'll fess up and admit that I intend to avoid Class B even after PPL.

Why?
* Good luck actually getting clearance into ORD or LAX with a Skyhawk
* Very few situations where flying a light piston single into the Class B airport will be faster / less stressful than using the nearest alternate, which is probably a Class C/D closer to the city with fewer jets and more pistons.

I have a sort-of point system, as I might tone-down the scope of IMC I'd fly, depending upon recency of experience, and I'll sometimes call the flight off if there are pax and it is so windy or hot that it would be plain miserable.

But in general, if you never nudge outside the absolutely routine, you never improve skills, and stagnation breeds contempt, which in turn will kill you most surely.

Good topic, Ed.

Back in the day, when I started to fly ultralights, we didn't have much in the way of anything, so we didn't know what we were missing. Those who actually flew out of an airfield, a lot didn't because so many fields refused to allow ultralights to use their runways, we're amazed to discover that runways came more than 30 or 35 feet wide.

In those days, you learned to fly ultra light by listening to your instructor talk to you on a walkie talkie, while standing on the ground, beside the field you used for t & l. Many, if not most ultralights had only one seat, so there was no way an instructor went up with you.

Wind? Bring it on. Bumpy? Yep. It was very bumpy all winter and hot as hell all summer, with mandatory afternoon thunderstorms to fly around on the way home.

Then I got into the two seater and thought I was in the movie, Oklahoma, where everything was up to date in Kansas City and things had gone as far they could go. We organized fly outs all over the countryside and followed the rivers, lakes, or roads to find our way there and back.

We had excellent instructors who worked us over all the time to make sure we were flying safe and wouldn't bring a bad reputation to them.

I would love to see students start out with nothing but a six pack and do everything the old fashioned way, until they get it all down, before becoming technology dependent and losing all sense of adventure, self reliance and develop raw skills.

Last edited:
My first visit to Bangor, Maine -- don't remember the width, but the length was something like 12,400. The tower lady said "Use Taxiway Mike." Well, Mike was a good thousand or more feet beyond touchdown. While in the flair I thought the entire world was still in front of me, as WAS the KC-135 tanker which had landed prior to my intended touchdown spot. I was trained on 1942', moved on to 4000' at Wiscasset. Incidentally, Bangor is the former Dow Air Force Base.

HR

In Montana, I rarely had a GPS, over here in Savannah, I don't leave home without one. With all the TFRs MOAs, R-, B/C/D airspace...

"Can't and Won't" are 2 different things, a guy at my airport is serving a 90-day suspension for wandering into an R area, not a "learning experience" that I wish to partake in.

"Namby-pamby momma's boys (and girls)?" That's the attitude that kills pilots and their families. You are joking, right? You must be doing this post to stir people up, because no responsible adult would criticize someone for wanting to be safe.

Some of us love our life and have families, dude!

"Namby-pamby momma's boys (and girls)?" That's the attitude that kills pilots and their families. You are joking, right? You must be doing this post to stir people up, because no responsible adult would criticize someone for wanting to be safe.

Some of us love our life and have families, dude!

Half joking. I have seen all of these as excuses on here and the red board as to why someone won't/can't fly.

Am I the only one that gets excited at the opportuniy to land in a good crosswind? I love the challenge.

Nothing quite as satisfying as greasing it in with a max demonstrated xwind.

I'm a better pilot than all ya'll I'll take off on a 1500' grass runway 30 with winds 120@45G60 during a TS at night with 2 flats, a dead cylinder and an INOP alternator...only ******* need electricity, that's why they have the crank to put the gear down. But, I won't fly around with the gear down, that's just dorky.

:rofl:

One more for your list:
...twin that cannot climb OEI 2,000' above highest terrain within 500 nm

Even though I'm a student pilot, I'll fess up and admit that I intend to avoid Class B even after PPL.

Why?
* Very few situations where flying a light piston single into the Class B airport will be faster / less stressful than using the nearest alternate, which is probably a Class C/D closer to the city with fewer jets and more pistons.

Only reason I avoid Class B is that there's none right around here.

My only Class B was departing KOLV under the MEM shelf, as I was climbing out, I had it all planned out to stay under the shelf as I climbed heading east, and first contact with MEM was "Radar contact, cleared into the Bravo" without me even requesting it.

Are there really any pilots with over about 25 hours since ppl that have even a third of those limitations?

Only reason I avoid Class B is that there's none right around here.

My only Class B was departing KOLV under the MEM shelf, as I was climbing out, I had it all planned out to stay under the shelf as I climbed heading east, and first contact with MEM was "Radar contact, cleared into the Bravo" without me even requesting it.

I think he's talking about actually landing there.

Are there really any pilots with over about 25 hours since ppl that have even a third of those limitations?

I dont think any single pilot has a combined 1/3 of them. But I have heard all of them on here.

That's funny.

I actually prefer to fly in non-perfect conditions; it does more to keep my skills continually evolving than pretty much anything else I try to do for safety. Gusting to 20-25kn? sign me up. Enough cover to force me to request SVFR clearance? on my way to the airport. Marine layer with a few nice holes to duck through to make it to my destination? yeah baby. 5kn headwind straight down the runway? get cleared to land downwind. Snowed in runway requiring very careful soft field technique and energy management? sounds like fun (OK, that one was a little iffy, but I pulled it off beautifully and wanted the fuel).

All things I've done and enjoyed.

Perfect visibility day with no wind and no clouds? great for taking newbies on their first experience. Otherwise... anything good playing in the theater?

Am I the only one that gets excited at the opportuniy to land in a good crosswind? I love the challenge.

Yes! good crosswinds - gusty ones in particular - are great for remembering what it means to actually land a rumbling, temperamental metal spamcan rather than exercising checklists. Ah... me too!

No, I had a nice one today and it felt gooooood

Without knowing the circumstances, any of these might work to keep someone on the ground. I have only flown once in the last 10 or so days, because when I had the time to fly, the ceiling hasn't been above 3,500.

Because I am focusing on aerobatic practice and need a little extra space to try some new (to me) things, and it can take 1,500 feet or so to build airspeed for a loop for example. A lot more if it is out the bottom of a spin.

I guess I don't understand the need to put other people down for personal decisions. So theirs don't match mine; so what? Fly when you can/want. Make your own decisions based on your circumstances. Ignore other people's inflated egos.

Why?

I think your second reason is valid, but as to your first reason, from what I've heard, Skyhawks do get cleared to land at class B airports, but as a general rule, you have to bring MONEY, and plenty of it!

I think your second reason is valid, but as to your first reason, from what I've heard, Skyhawks do get cleared to land at class B airports, but as a general rule, you have to bring MONEY, and plenty of it!

Nah, we've gotten cleared to land at ORD in a Skyhawk and there were no fees (as we avoided the FBO). It was an IFR plan though, couldn't have done it VFR (we asked).

How did you avoid using an FBO?

SFO has a landing fee. Last time I heard, it was over $100, and the FBO's ramp and/or handling fees add quite bit to that.

http://www.flysfo.com/web/export/sites/default/download/about/reports/pdf/SummaryofChargesFY0708.pdf

We told them we wanted to take a picture of the tower. They directed us to a runup area off runway 28, IIRC, we got out, took the picture, swapped pilots (duty limits :rofl:) and departed VFR. No fees. Waved at the cargo 747 as they were told they were number 2 for departure after the Skyhawk.

We told them we wanted to take a picture of the tower. They directed us to a runup area off runway 28, IIRC, we got out, took the picture, swapped pilots (duty limits :rofl:) and departed VFR. No fees. Waved at the cargo 747 as they were told they were number 2 for departure after the Skyhawk.

When did you do that? how? it's one of my dreams, so to speak, to land and take off again at SFO, even if it's just a touch-n-go.

When did you do that? how? it's one of my dreams, so to speak, to land and take off again at SFO, even if it's just a touch-n-go.

It was for the Go Fly America! Challenge a few years ago. There's a write up on the board somewhere. Leslie was PIC inbound; I flew outbound.

Back