I Bought a Snow Blower

Jesse...

I am a little confused on how a single stage will get" down to the concrete way more effectively":confused::confused::confused:..

I thought he was talking about the rotating brush "powered shovel" models. Those get down to the surface.

Alaskans use snow scoops more than shovels but many of us use backpack blowers. The blowers are becoming popular for removing snow from planes, too.

I think a lot of that has to do with the type of snow being removed. I'd imagine the snow in many areas of extreme north have a lighter "powder" that can be blown easily with a blower. When the snow is wet as is more common in a lot of the midwest, it might be like trying to blow slush around, lol.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. "Some snow" to me is whatever is left in the cracks of the asphalt that a shovel can't get up. If I leave 1/4" to freeze solid overnight, or to get packed down by tire tracks into a n(ice) smooth surface, I'm concerned about getting down safely (oddly, getting up and out is less concerning, esp since I bought a Legacy). My driveway is 120' long, straight downhill at about 10% grade. If I'm lucky, sliding down out of control would just hit the corner of my basement garage. Unlucky could send me into a pine tree to the right of that, or REALLY unlucky, off to the right of my driveway is an embankment that is protected by 4"x4" railroad ties that edge the driveway, and a couple of sapling pines that aren't going to stop a car.
That's not practical in the Upper Michigan snow belt. We get way too much snow, usually between 200 to 300 inches annually. There might be some cracking but but that's a fact of life here. A thin lawyer of packed snow or ice reduces wear of the snowblower skids compared to concrete.

Jesse...

I am a little confused on how a single stage will get" down to the concrete way more effectively":confused::confused::confused:..

All of the single stages I've seen for sale these days have a rotor/blade deal that makes actual contact with the driveway. It's not made out of metal, AFAIK. Removes basically everything.

38588_500.jpg

Whereas the two stages for aren't making contact and ride a bit above the surface.

921020_500.jpg

I'd really be better off with a single stage here because we don't get a lot of snow generally and they're much easier to handle and would do a better job clearing all the way down to the driveway.

Really has nothing to do with the concept of the stages as much as it has to do with the way a single stage is built and the way a dual stage is built.

Last edited:
All of the single stages I've seen for sale these days have a rotor/blade deal that makes actual contact with the driveway. It's not made out of metal, AFAIK. Removes basically everything.

38588_500.jpg

Whereas the two stages for aren't making contact and ride a bit above the surface.

921020_500.jpg

I'd really be better off with a single stage here because we don't get a lot of snow generally and they're much easier to handle and would do a better job clearing all the way down to the driveway.

Really has nothing to do with the concept of the stages as much as it has to do with the way a single stage is built and the way a dual stage is built.

But......

The two stage unit has a scraper bar that can and will scour the ground and leave it snow free too.... Look close under the cross feed auger...

I can take my binford 10,000 snow removal system snowblower and set it to dig up asphalt if I wanted too.... Altho it is kinda hard on those glass windows 200 feet away..;);).....:D.......:eek:

Jesse...

But......

The two stage unit has a scraper bar that can and will scour the ground and leave it snow free too.... Look close under the cross feed auger...

I can take my binford 10,000 snow removal system snowblower and set it to dig up asphalt if I wanted too.... Altho it is kinda hard on those glass windows 200 feet away..;);).....:D.......:eek:

Mine sure the hell won't. Neither will my neighbors. It's pretty obvious who has what kind of snow blower when you look at the end result in the neighborhood.

That said, I hold onto my two stage monster, because about once every 5 years the sky will dump enough snow that I can go around and save the neighbors with their silly light single stages that can't clear it.

Really I'd like to have both.

Mine sure the hell won't. Neither will my neighbors. It's pretty obvious who has what kind of snow blower when you look at the end result in the neighborhood.

That said, I hold onto my two stage monster, because about once every 5 years the sky will dump enough snow that I can go around and save the neighbors with their silly light single stages that can't clear it.

Really I'd like to have both

Smart man.....:thumbsup:

The little bitty red one might work for my back deck or front porch. I love watching how far a good two stage snowblower throws snow.

But......

More power! That sounds more like something from Tool Time than a real product. :D

The best way to have a clear drive way is to make sure it faces south and the trees are cut back. That's what I did and my driveway is down to asphalt within a day or two after most storms (after I snowblow of course.)

Back