I bought a rudder today

Rudy said:
Haha, this is the exact reason a lot of people don't know that i am a pilot!
I don't want to walk up and be like "Hi, my name is Rudy Belew, I am a pilot and have a plane" because i think it sounds cocky. So I just keep to myself,
that is why this site is so great because so many other people can get together and talk about it without worrying.

I was talking to some airline types yesterday. I mentioned the lo and slow a/c I have and four pairs of eyes lit up. The most expressive of the group--quite good looking, I might add--looked like she was dripping with excitement as she asked multiple times for rides. That's when I said something positive about my wife.... Yes, it is all about presentation.

Rudy said:
I think it is great that you fly, some guys can't imagine thinking so, but i respect every bit of anyone who is pilot whether it be man or woman, and i don't feel threatened by a woman who is a better pilot than me, I know all of you women on the board are more experience and therefore are better than me.
I think it is great. And don't take up knitting, whats fun about that.
Rudy, you're sweet. :)

Knitting is really boring.

Re: Cherokee fly-in

Rudy said:
Tan-Tar-A is only a little over an hour away from me, i might look into that.

1.5hrs for me Let me know if you are all going, I will be there in the Six.

Tan Tar A Is very Nice.

Toby said:

You just need to quit talking to boys and find ya a man to talk with.
If I was single and could date a Woman that had a plane I would be so cocky about that with my friends. " You know she flew us out to Tan Tar A for the weekend." all my freinds would envy Me.

My wife is unbeilivable! We are animal people. When I met here I was a field trial and one of my horses lost a shoe. I did my own shoeing at that time but had know formal training. Cindy fixed that horses foot. as I sat there and watched my friends who watched in disbielief as she did this. I got the biggest whoot out of that. That was years ago She still shoes and trains our horses all 14 of them.

.....The others -- they'd prefer it if I stayed in the right seat and oohed and aahed. They don't really know what to do with me.

That kind you don't need.

It would work better if I gave up flying and took up knitting.

Nah, then you'd be frustrated and no one would be happy.

Dave Krall CFII said:
If you really wanted to bother for a while with one of those fragile, ledgends-in-their-own-minds, you could always feign the need for tips on flying that you just know they could help you with...

Who would want one of those kind of guys?????

Toby, I would love to read the book (or an excerpt from the book) of responses. I think I could relate to them.

I usually don't tell people I'm a pilot... my mom beats me to it. Mom is proud of it and of me being an engineer, but I hate it when some old bitty exclaims "Oh my, really, good for you!" Arg, to me it's not all that extraordinary and I would bet money that they wouldn't say it to me if I have an ______ , Uh Adams apple... that's it. :rolleyes:

I think my worst experience of people finding out I was a pilot was at my friend Bob's grandma's funeral it was two days after my checkride. When Bob told his mom I just passed, she just had to tell everyone... man woman that's just not the place. I'm here to support my friend and honor a really nice lady not to talk about being a pilot. To top it off Bob's brother had started but never finished his licence.

Nick, nice plane! :cheerswine: I'm officially jealous of you. I'm at the start of thinking I want to buy a plane or a piece of one but still not sure if I can financially swing it. I'm not sure if I really want to look into if I can because then I may have no excuse as to why I don't have one.

Missa

Toby said:

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Actually I like Knitting, there is something truly relaxing about the repetition and it's a really great activity to keep your hands busy and mind numb sitting in front of a fire place after a long day when you just can't seem to go to bed but are too tired to do anything else. I only seem do it in the winter thou, to much going on in the summer.

Missa

Missa said:
Don't knock it till you've tried it. Actually I like Knitting, there is something truly relaxing about the repetition and it's a really great activity to keep your hands busy and mind numb sitting in front of a fire place after a long day when you just can't seem to go to bed but are too tired to do anything else. I only seem do it in the winter thou, to much going on in the summer.

Missa

To me, that is the perfect time to play video games. Nothing better than playing FIFA Soccer on the PS2 in Spanish (which I don't speak) on a cold winter day.

I miss New Hampshire.

Dave Krall CFII said:
It wouldn't work on weak men, pilots or not. They're too freaked out by the thought that a woman can do something as good or even better than they can -generally speaking...

Could be a way to separate the wheat from the chaff, potential S.O. wise.

dogman said:
My wife is unbeilivable! ......She still shoes and trains our horses all 14 of them.
Dogman, thanks. You are a lucky guy, and your wife sounds terrific!

Toby said:
Yes! And if you knew me, you would know I'm not the bragging type. The guys who are also pilots don't mind it -- as long as we're just friends. My friends will share flying time with me, and we have a blast. The others -- they'd prefer it if I stayed in the right seat and oohed and aahed. They don't really know what to do with me.

It would work better if I gave up flying and took up knitting.

Take up the needlework but keep on flying as knitting (needles) would provide the means to do bodily harm to those fools who think flying is supposed to be a "man's world".

There are plenty of male pilots who are in awe of almost all female pilots since most have had to fight the stereotyping and other obstacles that all too often appear in the path of a woman pilot. For instance, a good friend of mine that's a father of four daughters as well as an accomplished pilot used to have a Navajo that he flew around the country on business and pleaure trips. His oldest daughter leaned to fly at an early age and had acquired her multi rating before he acquired the Navajo and he let her do much of the flying whenever she could accompany him on a trip. He got the biggest kick out of straightening out the many pilots, line crews, and business associates who would inevitably assume that he was the one doing the flying instead of the shy 18 year old young woman with him. She's been flying as a captain for Mesaba for several years now and two of her younger sisters have learned to fly as well.

Missa said:
Don't knock it till you've tried it. Actually I like Knitting, there is something truly relaxing about the repetition.

I know. My problem is I don't like to sit still that long. That tends to rule out things like fishing, knitting, and watching TV. Too antsy!

Toby said:
I know. My problem is I don't like to sit still that long. That tends to rule out things like fishing, knitting, and watching TV. Too antsy!

I understand... I'm a bit that way too. But I find in the winter when it gets dark early and I'm sitting in a clean house after a long day of work and I'm mentaly tired so I don't want to read anything heavy but not tired enough to go to bed and it's dark and cold outside. I'll want to knit. So far I've only made scarves... they are really easy no thinking required at all. So Anyone want a scarf? I have lots.

Missa

lancefisher said:
Take up the needlework but keep on flying as knitting (needles) would provide the means to do bodily harm to those fools who think flying is supposed to be a "man's world".

There are plenty of male pilots who are in awe of almost all female pilots since most have had to fight the stereotyping and other obstacles that all too often appear in the path of a woman pilot. For instance, a good friend of mine that's a father of four daughters as well as an accomplished pilot used to have a Navajo that he flew around the country on business and pleaure trips. His oldest daughter leaned to fly at an early age and had acquired her multi rating before he acquired the Navajo and he let her do much of the flying whenever she could accompany him on a trip. He got the biggest kick out of straightening out the many pilots, line crews, and business associates who would inevitably assume that he was the one doing the flying instead of the shy 18 year old young woman with him. She's been flying as a captain for Mesaba for several years now and two of her younger sisters have learned to fly as well.
Thanks, Lance. I can also smack those guys with my purse!

Just to clarify (and Nick, I apologize for hijacking, and this is my last post on the subject), I have many male pilot friends who are respectful and supportive. Everyone I know at my airport -- friends, instructors, mechanics, acquaintances -- respects me. It is a wonderful environment, very nourishing.

I was talking about the confusion that sometimes -- intrudes (can't think of the best word) when it is a dating situation. We all have expectations on some level of what we want the other person to be for us, what role they should play.

NickDBrennan said:
I am now a 1/7th owner of a 1965 Piper Cherokee 180C.

Nick, big congrats to you. I'm green with envy! Have fun flying YOUR airplane!

Missa said:

Missa
Ha Ha! That's EXACTLY what my boys tried pulling on me regarding video games!!! :D

lancefisher said:
There are plenty of male pilots who are in awe of almost all female pilots since most have had to fight the stereotyping and other obstacles that all too often appear in the path of a woman pilot.
Lance, thank you for making that comment. It can be very frustrating at times. Sometimes I get tired of the battle to gain respect in the "man's world of aviation", especially in this rural area.

lancefisher said:
He got the biggest kick out of straightening out the many pilots, line crews, and business associates who would inevitably assume that he was the one doing the flying instead of the shy 18 year old young woman with him.
Tom does that too. Sometimes, though, he sits back and enjoys the show when I take care of it myself. :)

dogman said:
You just need to quit talking to boys and find ya a man to talk with.

dingdingdingding, we have a winnah!

Missa said:
Who would want one of those kind of guys?????

Toby, I would love to read the book (or an excerpt from the book) of responses. I think I could relate to them.

Good question. I guess maybe we should ask some of the many women that spend so much time with those guys !

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
Good question. I guess maybe we should ask some of the many women that spend so much time with those guys !

Nope, no use... they probably couldn't tell you. They probably also couldn't't tell what 2+2 is. B)

Missa
:blowingkisses:

I love this whole thread! I figure that any S.O. in my future will have to deal with my flying obsession, so I might as well get the topic out in the open early. And in return I'll have to deal with his goofy obsession, whatever that might turn out to be. As long as it's not football or nascar! ;)

Congrats on the plane, Nick! Does it (he? she?) have a name?

--Kath

1) Major thread creep but thats ok cause Nick seems ok with it

2) Female pilots! My PP DPE was female. A damnn fine pilot I should be so good.

3) What you guys and gals need is a wingman. To let the other guy/gal know what awesome piloting skills you have.

This is the woman who taught me to fly. To this day when I do a good landing I can hear her voice saying, "excellent." When I got back from my harrowing long cross country as a student she was up with another student. When ATC let me go over to the advisory I heard her say, "Welcome back, zero three hotel." I knew I'd live to fly another day :)

Funny thing is that when I took my checkout ride for college credit for my PPL a few months ago, I went with a female CFI. It was really weird and afterwards, I wondered if I was being a jerk who couldn't deal with a female pilot that knew more than me.

Then it occurred to me. This lady was mean, and she very seriously overbilled me. She flipped out on me for trying to slip a skyhawk with partial flaps extended. She flipped out on me because I didn't know what the extra 3 sets of numbers (That I've never seen before or since) were at the end of our METAR.

I've since flown with a different female instructor and had a great time, and no anxiety. Turns out, just as with male instructors, some female instructors are hard to get along with.

**EDIT** btw - the numbers I was talking about were similar to the following:

KAEG 011445Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM CLR 15/05 A3015 RMK A01 P000 10066 21012 58033

Turns out they are 6 hour maximum temperature, 6 hour minimum temperature, and pressure tendency. I had to add them into this METAR, because like I said they're never there.

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
Turns out, just as with male instructors, some female instructors are hard to get along with.

Yep, there's a bad apple in evey basket.

I flown with male CFII's that sux and I've flown with Female CFII's that Sux.

Missa

Carol said:
This is the woman who taught me to fly. To this day when I do a good landing I can hear her voice saying, "excellent." When I got back from my harrowing long cross country as a student she was up with another student. When ATC let me go over to the advisory I heard her say, "Welcome back, zero three hotel." I knew I'd live to fly another day :)

So when's the last time you wrote her a note telling her how you're doing and thanking her for the excellent effort?:)

lancefisher said:
So when's the last time you wrote her a note telling her how you're doing and thanking her for the excellent effort?:)

I brag on her all the time when I see her at the airport :)

I tell her students that she's in the SC Aviation Hall of Fame and how lucky they are to have her as a flight instructor. She attended the closing banquet of the air race I flew in (she usually flies in it but did not that year) and in front of her cronies I thanked her for teaching me how to fly.

Her daughter is about my age and runs the flight school/aircraft rental where her mother teaches.

Carol said:
I brag on her all the time when I see her at the airport :)

I tell her students that she's in the SC Aviation Hall of Fame and how lucky they are to have her as a flight instructor. She attended the closing banquet of the air race I flew in (she usually flies in it but did not that year) and in front of her cronies I thanked her for teaching me how to fly.

Her daughter is about my age and runs the flight school/aircraft rental where her mother teaches.

Nice.

kath said:
I love this whole thread! I figure that any S.O. in my future will have to deal with my flying obsession, so I might as well get the topic out in the open early. And in return I'll have to deal with his goofy obsession, whatever that might turn out to be. As long as it's not football or nascar! ;)

Congrats on the plane, Nick! Does it (he? she?) have a name?

--Kath
Guess you're going to be meeting the S.O out at the airport....

Back