I bought a rudder today

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Or what ever 1/7th part you want to call it!

I am now a 1/7th owner of a 1965 Piper Cherokee 180C. It is blue and looks great (IMHO). I have a crappy picture I took with my phone about 2 weeks ago when I first saw it. On Wednesday (a week from today) we are going to finalize everything, including signing of papers and exchange of money.

I'm waaaay excited right now. w00t!!! It seems like the entire USA just opened up for me.

Awesome Nick,
I love my cherokee, i know you will love this one. Mine is blue too, a little darker however and mine is also a 140. Anyway welcome to the Cherokee club.

Are you bringing yours to Gaston's now?

Yeah, Nick! Congratulations. Have lots of fun with it.

A fellow Cherokee owner,

Don Jones said:
Wow Nick, that's cool. Even if its only 1/7, who cares. Looks like a nice one.
Enjoy
Don

I know I'll love it. Now I will have an easier time coming down to eat at Jack in the Box!! :)

Rudy said:
Awesome Nick,
I love my cherokee, i know you will love this one. Mine is blue too, a little darker however and mine is also a 140. Anyway welcome to the Cherokee club.

Are you bringing yours to Gaston's now?

Thank you!

I plan on bringing it to Gastons. I know I'm going, so I don't see why I wouldn't!

Toby said:
Yeah, Nick! Congratulations. Have lots of fun with it.

A fellow Cherokee owner,

That's right, I forgot that you had bought a Cherokee! w00t! Looks like I picked a popular model!

Cherokee fly-in

NickDBrennan said:
Thank you!

I plan on bringing it to Gastons. I know I'm going, so I don't see why I wouldn't!
This is sort of thread creep, but since you bring up Gaston's....

The Cherokee Pilots Assn. has their annual fly-in the weekend after Gaston's, in Missouri, at a place called Tan-Tar-A. It's a 3-day affair complete with landings judges, flying, eating, hanging out and all that jazz.

Nick you dog you. Mazel Tov as my people say. That is great. May you enjoy it fly it often and safe. Wishing you CAVU and Tailwinds.

Re: Cherokee fly-in

Toby said:

The Cherokee Pilots Assn. has their annual fly-in the weekend after Gaston's, in Missouri, at a place called Tan-Tar-A. It's a 3-day affair complete with landings judges, flying, eating, hanging out and all that jazz.

Tan Tar A is a neat resort. If you go you will love it.

Hey Nick,

Congratulations!

1/7 owner, 1/17th owner.... who cares? I've been a partial owner of many airplanes. I've always felt like each one was my very own. My first airplane was a PA-28-161. You'll love the Cherokee and you'll feel like it's your airplane through-and-through. Way to go.

Chip

NickDBrennan said:
I am now a 1/7th owner of a 1965 Piper Cherokee 180C. It is blue and looks great (IMHO).

Hey Nick, congrats!!! Hope you fly it to Gaston's so we can see it in person.

I used to own a Cherokee 140 and had a lot of fun with it. Also was in a club with a 160 and a 180. Good solid airplanes.

Hope to hear about your flights in your new airplane. :)

Nick, fabulous news, congrats! Have a blast flying it and post more pictures!

Elizabeth H

NickDBrennan said:
Or what ever 1/7th part you want to call it!

I am now a 1/7th owner of a 1965 Piper Cherokee 180C. It is blue and looks great (IMHO). I have a crappy picture I took with my phone about 2 weeks ago when I first saw it. On Wednesday (a week from today) we are going to finalize everything, including signing of papers and exchange of money.

I'm waaaay excited right now. w00t!!! It seems like the entire USA just opened up for me.
Congrats on the Cherokee! (And since no one else has said so) At least the wings are in the right location.
Warrior Pilot

Nice! I wouldn't lay claim to the rudder if I were you though. Try and pick something that isn't likely to require maintenance or suffer damage (hangar rash etc) ;). Of course such a part may not exist on any airplane. How about the yoke/control wheel?

Congrats, Nick!

I figure you own some more pieces besides the rudder...

For example, I figure that on our R22, I own one anti-torque pedal, 1/2 each of a main rotor, tail rotor and skid, one cylinder of the O-360, two spark plugs, and one door hinge, etc...

Enjoy the Cherokee!

Congratulations, Nick! Nice plane. And the wings are in the right place too! :)

That's a pretty fair photo for a phone camera.

gibbons said:
Hey Nick,

Congratulations!

1/7 owner, 1/17th owner.... who cares? I've been a partial owner of many airplanes. I've always felt like each one was my very own. My first airplane was a PA-28-161. You'll love the Cherokee and you'll feel like it's your airplane through-and-through. Way to go.

Chip

I certainly hope that's how it works, but either way, I'm gonna be flying everywhere now, just because I can!

lancefisher said:
Nice! I wouldn't lay claim to the rudder if I were you though. Try and pick something that isn't likely to require maintenance or suffer damage (hangar rash etc) ;). Of course such a part may not exist on any airplane. How about the yoke/control wheel?

LOL - I own the avionics then. THe one part that is guaranteed to lose value, but rarely need fixin'.

heh.

Carol said:
Congratulations, Nick! Nice plane. And the wings are in the right place too! :)

That's a pretty fair photo for a phone camera.

Thanks!

My camera phone is weird. Some days the photos look awesome. Other days the photos look like they were taken through a dirty lens. This one didn't turn out bad. On wednesday, I'll probably go over to the airport and take some more pictures.

NickDBrennan said:
Thanks!

My camera phone is weird. Some days the photos look awesome. Other days the photos look like they were taken through a dirty lens. This one didn't turn out bad. On wednesday, I'll probably go over to the airport and take some more pictures.

Just got a [company] camera phone. What I found out is the damned thing resets itself for no reason. As a consequence, I find the quality setting going from FINE to [awful] without my input. I also find that, while the commercials show everyone onehanding it, I need a third hand at times. My dog sort of helps out.

w00t Nick! WTG!
You got room for me in there for Gastons? Maybe this time we will make it home with the plane. :)

gibbons said:
Hey Nick,

Congratulations!

Chip

Congrats Nick! Like Chip said, you're an 'OWNER'. :) Besides unless you're being limited on your flying by your other partners, its the best way to own.

AND non pilot types go "OOOOOH You OWN a plane?"

Nice plane.... Have fun !
(now I know why you developed the twitch...)

Re: Cherokee fly-in

Toby said:

Tan-Tar-A is only a little over an hour away from me, i might look into that.

Michael said:
w00t Nick! WTG!
You got room for me in there for Gastons? Maybe this time we will make it home with the plane. :)

Yessir, you wanna come, the right seat is yours for the taking.

Yeah, I'd like to think we'd make it home....stupid haze. Cut the fun in half for me last year. Well....maybe more like cut it in 1/8th. That was gonna be a long flight :)

AirBaker said:
Congrats Nick! Like Chip said, you're an 'OWNER'. :) Besides unless you're being limited on your flying by your other partners, its the best way to own.

AND non pilot types go "OOOOOH You OWN a plane?"

Oooh....thats right, I can use this to impress women! :)

NickDBrennan said:

I was never single since being licensed... Can't say that I haven't thrown that line in there when appropriate. :)

NickDBrennan said:
I have found that it doesn't work that well the other way around. :(

Toby said:

Unless you use it on a male pilot, most of whom will be suitably impressed and appreciative.

Toby said:

Its kind of a catch 22, When I was single, and looking, I would look at a pretty girl and think, you know if she knew I had this plane and could take her anywhere she wanted, she would want me...but then..if I walk up to her and tell her I have this plane...shes going to think I'm arrogant and full of it. :dunno:

You guys are cracking me up. Stand by while I think of something hilarious and sidesplitting to say....

Toby said:

It wouldn't work on weak men, pilots or not. They're too freaked out by the thought that a woman can do something as good or even better than they can -generally speaking...

Michael said:
Its kind of a catch 22, When I was single, and looking, I would look at a pretty girl and think, you know if she knew I had this plane and could take her anywhere she wanted, she would want me...but then..if I walk up to her and tell her I have this plane...shes going to think I'm arrogant and full of it. :dunno:
Did that second thing ever happen? It would all be in how it was presented.

I could write an essay on the responses I've gotten from men. Now I don't say anything. I just hang out at the airport and be "one of the guys" and enjoy my plane.

Michael said:
Haha, this is the exact reason a lot of people don't know that i am a pilot!
I don't want to walk up and be like "Hi, my name is Rudy Belew, I am a pilot and have a plane" because i think it sounds cocky. So I just keep to myself,
that is why this site is so great because so many other people can get together and talk about it without worrying.

Dave Krall CFII said:
It wouldn't work on weak men, pilots or not. They're too freaked out by the thought that a woman can do something as good or even better than they can -generally speaking...
Yes! And if you knew me, you would know I'm not the bragging type. The guys who are also pilots don't mind it -- as long as we're just friends. My friends will share flying time with me, and we have a blast. The others -- they'd prefer it if I stayed in the right seat and oohed and aahed. They don't really know what to do with me.

It would work better if I gave up flying and took up knitting.

Toby said:
Yes! And if you knew me, you would know I'm not the bragging type. The guys who are also pilots don't mind it -- as long as we're just friends. My friends will share flying time with me, and we have a blast. The others -- they'd prefer it if I stayed in the right seat and oohed and aahed. They don't really know what to do with me.

If you really wanted to bother for a while with one of those fragile, ledgends-in-their-own-minds, you could always feign the need for tips on flying that you just know they could help you with...

Last edited:
Toby said:

I think it is great that you fly, some guys can't imagine thinking so, but i respect every bit of anyone who is pilot whether it be man or woman, and i don't feel threatened by a woman who is a better pilot than me, I know all of you women on the board are more experience and therefore are better than me.
I think it is great. And don't take up knitting, whats fun about that.

Back