I am so very sorry

OK. I'm obviously not going to win you NASCAR guys over and it appears I'm vastly outnumbered. Time for me to fall back and change the discussion to PC vs Mac. :D

Hey Chip, I've got your back. Those NASCAR pikers wouldn't know racing if a semi full of F1 cars hit them. Just watch Watkins Glen and Sonoma (oh, wait, no one watches those, it's not "exciting" to see cars turn left and right), when idiots like Jr. try and go 4 wide into the hairpin... you see what sort of people like NASCAR :D

Cheers,

-Andrew
F1, WRC, and MotoGP fan, you know, real racing

NASCAR = Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks! :D:D

I'll weigh in, modestly, here.

First off, I am glad no one's jumping to the vigorous defense of F1, bunch of prissy EuroWeenies.

Next, you need to think of NASCAR as the WWE of racing, except it really is racing... pretty much. But, as theatre, it can't be beat.

Indy car racing is a major-league blast, but I lack the time and resources to appreciate it... saving my $$$ for flying.

Since Andrew mentioned the Glen, I'll say: I love road-type racing the best, and think it is the most fun to watch (and take note, when NASCAR runs on road courses, it gets REALLY interesting).

I was sad to see the decline and effective demise of Trans-Am racing.

Oh well.

Oh yeah... how about 1/4 mile?

Am I the only one who watched the Monaco GP on Sat. How can you not like a course like that! 53 gear shifts in a 2 mile road course, and a hairpin so tight they need to use a special steering box for that race. Now that is real racing.

Pete

OK. I'm obviously not going to win you NASCAR guys over and it appears I'm vastly outnumbered. Time for me to fall back and change the discussion to PC vs Mac. :D

What about road racing? Or those really skilled kooks, the world rally guys. Watching those guys ripping around icy/snowy/muddy courses, holy cow!!!

Lots of kinds of racing, enjoy them all!

I've never liked Danica Patrick much, but she's a hell of a driver and she won me over this year. She's likely to win Indy at least once in the next five years.
How could you NOT like Danica Patrick??? :yes: Whoah, she drives CARS, TOO? :D

No cookies yet. I'm staying home all day today hoping they'll show up.

Cookies??? Are you bringing cookies to Gaston's???? If so, I like Oreos. :yes:

Time for me to fall back and change the discussion to PC vs Mac. :D
Better yet, high wing vs low wing. Oh, oh, oh! Two Top Cubs just landed here at the farm. Gotta run!!! High wings RULE!!!! :D

Cookies??? Are you bringing cookies to Gaston's???? If so, I like Oreos. :yes:

No, no Oreos. really good Chocolate Chip cookies though, just ask Tristan, Jesse, Nick, (soon Chip), and anyone else who came to the midwest fly in.

And yes Ill plan on bringing several dozen to Gastons.

Ahhh yes... I haven't seen the video yet as it takes a while to load in the car. But, seeing Jeffy pop up and the date, along with the title, I'm guessing it has to do with some idiot fans throwing beer cans onto the track. Unfortunately, there are idiot fans in any sport. Basketball has actual thugs involved; some even end up playing.

But, it's a very loyal fanbase. In Atlanta, Atlanta Motor Speedway brings in more revenue than the entire seaons of the Braves, Hawks and Falcons, combined. Can that be said of chainsaw motor racing? :D

Attachments

• Top Cubs at the farm  1 50.JPG
    Top Cubs at the farm 1 50.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Top Cubs at the farmMike 50.JPG
    Top Cubs at the farmMike 50.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 22
Oh, how funny! :D

OK, here ya go. I'm tired of talking about racing cars. :D Here are the Top Cubs that just flew in. They are planning to come to Gaston's. The guys and their wives may need to find sleeping quarters for Saturday night.
Okay, let's step it up a bit... Chip, race these dudes! :D

aircraft.jpg

diana - ill gladly sleep in the grass outside. they can have my couch with grant and leslie, if they let me fly the cub!

I'll weigh in, modestly, here.

First off, I am glad no one's jumping to the vigorous defense of F1, bunch of prissy EuroWeenies.

Spike, I realize that the North Texas sun may have cooked your noggin a bit, but prissy EuroWeenies? I mean... F1 is some serious, serious stuff. Not as fast as MotoGP or as crazy as WRC, but hoo boy...

Next, you need to think of NASCAR as the WWE of racing, except it really is racing... pretty much. But, as theatre, it can't be beat.

Since Andrew mentioned the Glen, I'll say: I love road-type racing the best, and think it is the most fun to watch (and take note, when NASCAR runs on road courses, it gets REALLY interesting).

It is a blast. You can see some guys just walk all over the pack (Gordon et al), while others drive like drunken fools (Junior). Separates the "racers" from the "drivers"

Oh yeah... how about 1/4 mile?

The 1/4 mile does have a great deal of skill, both in the pit and on the drivers side. But, it doesn't involve the endurance of any of the aformentioned diciplines, so, I have to relegate that to the second tier.

Cheers,

-Andrew

The 1/4 mile does have a great deal of skill, both in the pit and on the drivers side. But, it doesn't involve the endurance of any of the aformentioned diciplines, so, I have to relegate that to the second tier.

Cheers,

-Andrew

You may be right, but for shear, raw, gut wrenching, horsepower you just can't beat Top Fuel! B)B)

diana - ill gladly sleep in the grass outside. they can have my couch with grant and leslie, if they let me fly the cub!

You were going to sleep on a couch with Grant and Leslie? Is that legal?:D

Tony, you have an actual bed, not a couch. Unless, of course, they let ME fly the Cub, in which case you have the grass! :rofl::yes:

oo ive been upgraded. now all i have to do is keep you away from top cubs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JzeWUjAff4k

In those days F1 was more exciting that today. Problem is difference between cars and budgets is so great that it can lead to a team dominating the sport for a long time, with no apparent competition, ala Schummaker (Until Alonso came along).

This season of F1 seems to be entertaining indeed. Technology wise the cars are unmatched, a single F1 car can cost $14,000,000, and they spend hundreds of millions in research. That's how they can get a normally aspirated engine with 2.4 liters of displacement (that's 146 cubic inches) to turn at 19,000 RMP and produce around 800hp. Not to mentioned the computers that control the engine, gearbox, traction control, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_car

Everything about these cars in amazing, and some developments in road going cars have come from F1, (I believe the automatic clutch and sequential gearbox are examples).

I don't think driving them would be very easy, these cars corner brake and accelerate harder than almost any car, which makes for pulling lots of lateral and longitudional G's. That's what I like about road courses, hard turns, hairpins, etc. Some F1 racers are known to workout for 6 hours a day to be in well enough shape to handle racing those fighter jets on wheels.

Just thought I'd enlighten some of ya'll.. :D

There was a race. It was in Monaco. I'm not aware of anything else recently.

Looking forward to Le Mans, too.

In those days F1 was more exciting that today. Problem is difference between cars and budgets is so great that it can lead to a team dominating the sport for a long time, with no apparent competition, ala Schummaker (Until Alonso came along).

This season of F1 seems to be entertaining indeed. Technology wise the cars are unmatched, a single F1 car can cost $14,000,000, and they spend hundreds of millions in research. That's how they can get a normally aspirated engine with 2.4 liters of displacement (that's 146 cubic inches) to turn at 19,000 RMP and produce around 800hp. Not to mentioned the computers that control the engine, gearbox, traction control, etc.

Everything about these cars in amazing, and some developments in road going cars have come from F1, (I believe the automatic clutch and sequential gearbox are examples).

I don't think driving them would be very easy, these cars corner brake and accelerate harder than almost any car, which makes for pulling lots of lateral and longitudional G's. That's what I like about road courses, hard turns, hairpins, etc. Some F1 racers are known to workout for 6 hours a day to be in well enough shape to handle racing those fighter jets on wheels.

Ummm.... are you sure you have the right number of zeros? $14 million???

And, who is it that started this idea there is no engineering in NASCAR? Many of the crew chiefs are engineers as well as a few of the drivers; off the top of my head, Ryan Newman. Their engine shops are technological dreams for many. Their average "mechanic" is not going to be merely a graduate of some automotive vocational college.

About as exciting as watching an autocross <yawn>

About as exciting as watching an autocross <yawn>
Well Patch you obviously have Never been to a F1 race.i can tell you they are very exciting along with any Road Race if you know where to stand and watch,(I campained a GT2 Datsun for 3 years) Ive been to Watkins Glen,Mid-Ohio,Summit Point, Road America,Pocono,Road Atlanta and others i cant remember. and i also Auto-Crossed and they can be exciting also.
Dave G.

Well Patch you obviously have Never been to a F1 race.i can tell you they are very exciting along with any Road Race if you know where to stand and watch,(I campained a GT2 Datsun for 3 years) Ive been to Watkins Glen,Mid-Ohio,Summit Point, Road America,Pocono,Road Atlanta and others i cant remember. and i also Auto-Crossed and they can be exciting also.
Dave G.

Autocrossing is a lot of fun, I did it for a while. Watching an autocross is not so much fun, and neither is watching an F1 race (on TV at least).

So getting to the point:

Chip, you're a powerful and compelling person; it is your task to get danica Patrick to come to Gaston's, as our special guest.

You deliver on that, I'll buy you at least three cold ones.

So getting to the point:

Chip, you're a powerful and compelling person; it is your task to get danica Patrick to come to Gaston's, as our special guest.

You deliver on that, I'll buy you at least three cold ones.
If she brings her husband, will you buy him a six-pack? :)

Tony, you have an actual bed, not a couch. Unless, of course, they let ME fly the Cub, in which case you have the grass! :rofl::yes:
Aww C'mon Tony, theres always a plane or two you can sleep in the back of. I always wondered if you slept in the baggage compartment of a cessna if the tail would fall. I'm not heavy enough for even a 152 but that'd be halarious!

Back