I am one of them IA people now

n20junkie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Farmer
So after some studying, many phone calls to the FSDO and paperwork, I tested and have an IA in my hand. And not too soon, the cessna needs an annual. I made the mistake of telling some friends at the local airport, and have a stack of 337's already that people need completed. I guess, its nice having this as a "parachute" for side work if my main employment falls out. I have a few people give me a wierd look when they see that someone under 30 has an IA. :)

And here I thought we had yet another Iowan on the board :)

congrats on the IA

Congratulations on the new ticket!

Last night, I was speaking with the wife of one of the DPEs. She's looking to do some part-time A&P work to keep her license current. It may be strange getting a resume from a full-time flight attendant who also can sign off maintenance before leaving the gate. :)

a significant feather in your cap. What does a person have to do to keep the -IA up?

I, too, was getting ready to provide an apology to someone else becoming an Iowan. ;)

I guess I'll throw a congrats your way instead! I've always had the idea in the back of my head of getting my A&P someday. I've helped build one plane and am doing some 'counseling' on a second plane. It's a matter of finding the time to get the bookwork and required 'documented' experience. Oh well.. Add it to the long list of "someday I will..."

Congrats!

Last year I met a 26 yr old who had just gotten his IA. Super nice guy, he also teaches aerobatics.

No comment on the Iowans except to agree with what Mari said. :)

Me too. This place is overrun with Iowans!

At this rate we may have to have Chuck change the name to "Pilots of Iowa" :D:D

Funny, I was thinking "Instrument, Airplane" until I remembered which forum this was. :p

OBTW: Congratulations for your accomplishment. You completed doing what many pilots would like to do, including me.

To keep your IA current, you need to do 4 annuals a year, 8 signoffs of alterations or major repairs, or do 8 hours of training (IA refresher course that most FSDO's put on annualy). I love turning wrenches, and am a flight mechanic in the Army (guard now) but am really working towards flying for a living, and making little to no money doing it. I hope that an IA will help in that part of my career also, can't hurt I figure.

Congratulations! I got my IA at age 23 or 24, it's been to long since that day. I have several other guys with an IA in the shop. I have always felt that it opens doors for the holder.

There really should be more Kansans in this group, we are from the air capital.

Regards, Kevin

Congratulations on your new rating; I too thought you were joining our Ames, Iowa group! LOL

I know some folks get their A&P without going to school for it, I presume through home study and experience working with actual mechanics. How does one go about doing that?

I know some folks get their A&P without going to school for it, I presume through home study and experience working with actual mechanics. How does one go about doing that?

What Troy said!

I think it has something to do with logging x number of hours, but I know nuttin'. I'm sure curious to know, though...

Last edited:
There really should be more Kansans in this group, we are from the air capital.

Regards, Kevin

I'm originally from the Air Capital, now i'm in MO. I had to leave KS to find A&P work a long time ago. There wasnt any work available for a A&P when i was looking in the ICT area.

Big pat on the back.

It’s always good to hear another A&P joined the ranks of us IA’s. As one old and graying IA we need all the new blood we can get. Over the years I have help over 50 A&P’s get their IA and countless aviators get their A&P certificates.

If anyone needs help with the documents or needs assistance please contact me as every mechanic adds to the gene pool.

Last edited:
Big pat on the back.

It’s always good to hear another A&P joined the ranks of us IA’s. As one old and graying IA we need all the new blood we can get. Over the years I have help over 50 A&P’s get their IA and countless aviators get their A&P certificates.

If anyone needs help with the documents or needs assistance please contact me as every mechanic adds to the gene pool.

The big help would be to answer the following question:

The big help would be to answer the following question:

You have to document 18 months of working under the supervision of an A&P for either the Airframe or Powerplant license or 30 months of experience for the combined A&P. I'd talk to the local FSDO and ask what they want the documentation to look like.

You have to document 18 months of working under the supervision of an A&P for either the Airframe or Powerplant license or 30 months of experience for the combined A&P. I'd talk to the local FSDO and ask what they want the documentation to look like.

Huh... I thought it was hours. What if I do some work once a week?

Huh... I thought it was hours. What if I do some work once a week?

It has to be a full time job and has to include all aspects of the job.

This is how I am getting mine. I can take the test some time this summer. I just have to find the time to study. I may go to one of those A&P refresher courses.

Dan

Dan

No it does not and no it does not. You can string the experience out over any number of years or months you wish and so long as you have SOME time in the airframe shop and SOME time in the engine shop you do not have to cover ALL aspects of the rating.

Some FSDOs take a "work week" to be 30 hours and some take the week to be 40 hours. Most mechanics look at your skill level, not how many hours you swept the floor (which is a legitimate "aspect" by the way) and simply sign off on "Jim worked on airframes and engines under my supervision for 15 months" without bothering to count numbers of hours.

Me? I spent four years in the radio shop for a major airline and a few months on "airframes and engines" a few dozen hours a week on my own airplane with A&P supervision. That's all there was to it.

Don't make this out to be more than it is. All the Feds care about is that you know which end of the wrench gets greasy. That's what the practical test examiner is there for.

Jim
A&P IA

No it does not and no it does not. You can string the experience out over any number of years or months you wish and so long as you have SOME time in the airframe shop and SOME time in the engine shop you do not have to cover ALL aspects of the rating.

Some FSDOs take a "work week" to be 30 hours and some take the week to be 40 hours. Most mechanics look at your skill level, not how many hours you swept the floor (which is a legitimate "aspect" by the way) and simply sign off on "Jim worked on airframes and engines under my supervision for 15 months" without bothering to count numbers of hours.

Me? I spent four years in the radio shop for a major airline and a few months on "airframes and engines" a few dozen hours a week on my own airplane with A&P supervision. That's all there was to it.

Don't make this out to be more than it is. All the Feds care about is that you know which end of the wrench gets greasy. That's what the practical test examiner is there for.

Jim
A&P IA

It was in the regs full time employment.

Even as an A&P you are not supposed to work on things that you are not familiar with. If the A&P you are working for does only engines how are you going to learn the correct procedures for airframe. If all the A&P does is change oil how are you going to learn to rig an airframe. If that's how it is do I want an A&P working on my plane? I think not. I know which end of the wrench gets greasy so I must be an A&P. Learning from an A&P the A&P is responsible for your learning. This is in lu of class room (College) that goes over all aspects of the profession.

I did not mean count hrs I meant you cannot just go in for a few hrs here and there. It has to be full time If your working 30 or 40 hr week matters not.

Dan

Last edited:
This is how I am getting mine. I can take the test some time this summer. I just have to find the time to study. I may go to one of those A&P refresher courses.

Dan

I'd like to see your reference.
Because that is not what the regulations say.,.

65.77 Experience requirements.
Each applicant for a mechanic certificate or rating must present either an appropriate graduation certificate or certificate of completion from a certificated cated aviation maintenance technician school or documentary evidence, satisfactory to the Administrator, of—

(a) At least 18 months of practical experience with the procedures, practices, materials, tools, machine tools, and equipment generally used in constructing, maintaining, or altering airframes, or powerplants appropriate to the rating sought; or

(b) At least 30 months of practical experience concurrently performing the duties appropriate to both the airframe and powerplant ratings.

[Doc. No. 1179, 27 FR, 7973, Aug. 10, 1962, as amended by Amdt. 65–14, 35 FR, 5533, Apr. 3, 1970]

I'd like to see your reference.
Because that is not what the regulations say.,.

(a) At least 18 months of practical experience with the procedures, practices, materials, tools, machine tools, and equipment generally used in constructing, maintaining, or altering airframes, or powerplants appropriate to the rating sought; or

(b) At least 30 months of practical experience concurrently performing the duties appropriate to both the airframe and powerplant ratings.

[Doc. No. 1179, 27 FR, 7973, Aug. 10, 1962, as amended by Amdt. 65–14, 35 FR, 5533, Apr. 3, 1970]

You supplied it.

What that says is at the same time you need to have 30 mnths of practical experience performing the duties of the rating "A&P". If you want call into the FSDO and ask them if you can go in every Sat for 30 mnths and still qualify. Ask them if you can rebuild engines for 29 months or change oil at an A&P shop for 29 months then do 1 month of just replacing wings on a cessna. See if that will fly. You have not covered All aspects of the rating is what you will be told.

Dan

You supplied it.

What that says is at the same time you need to have 30 mnths of practical experience performing the duties of the rating "A&P". If you want call into the FSDO and ask them if you can go in every Sat for 30 mnths and still qualify. Ask them if you can rebuild engines for 29 months or change oil at an A&P shop for 29 months then do 1 month of just replacing wings on a cessna. See if that will fly. You have not covered All aspects of the rating is what you will be told.

Dan

Sonny ...

If you haven't by this time learned that calling into the FSDO for advice on the regulations is not a good idea, then I question whether or not you are ready to take the exam. Most of the really good mechanics I know (and probably the old greybeard that posted just above) figure that leaving the Feds alone in their little grey ivory towers is the smart move.

Throw most inspectors a buzzbox and a witch's hat and tell them to check the timing on that Airknocker over there and you'll get a look equal to any Goofy cartoon you've ever seen.

Just walk in the front door with the paper that says what they expect to see and you will be fine. Detailing every tiny detail of what you did and did not do will not work for you OR for me OR for the Feds. Use some common sense.

Jim

Sonny ...

If you haven't by this time learned that calling into the FSDO for advice on the regulations is not a good idea, then I question whether or not you are ready to take the exam. Most of the really good mechanics I know (and probably the old greybeard that posted just above) figure that leaving the Feds alone in their little grey ivory towers is the smart move.

Throw most inspectors a buzzbox and a witch's hat and tell them to check the timing on that Airknocker over there and you'll get a look equal to any Goofy cartoon you've ever seen.

Just walk in the front door with the paper that says what they expect to see and you will be fine. Detailing every tiny detail of what you did and did not do will not work for you OR for me OR for the Feds. Use some common sense.

Jim

I will admit, that if you have an A&P, have had it for 3 years, have been active for 2 (active is a grey area, use the grey for your benefit) and have a fixed base of operations with an internet connection (giving you access to information such as AD's) then your good to go for the IA. My inspector confirmed my assumptions, and its in my pocket. Thanks for those that congratulated me, I feel like I'm in the "club" now, and I can finally say yes when people ask if I can perform annuals.

Welcome to the club. At the first IA renewal you can also learn the secret IA handshake.

Kevin

Back