I am a business owner!!

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Today, I went down to the City Zoning department with a friend (now partner) and got my business license, State Tax ID and Federal Tax ID. I am now officially a business owner.

High Desert Wiring is officially open for business. Now I just need to find some clients. Woohoo!

Congrats Nick!!!
I would advise you to Incorporate though, just incase one of your wire jobs burns down a multimillion dollar structure :)
Now go join rotary and have some fun!

SkyHog said:
Today, I went down to the City Zoning department with a friend (now partner) and got my business license, State Tax ID and Federal Tax ID. I am now officially a business owner.

High Desert Wiring is officially open for business. Now I just need to find some clients. Woohoo!

Congrats!! Electrician??? I need a ceiling fan put in one bedroom and a light fixture replaced, do you make house calls to Illinois?

smigaldi said:
Congrats!! Electrician??? I need a ceiling fan put in one bedroom and a light fixture replaced, do you make house calls to Illinois?

Ahh - everything but electric. Heh - Illinois may be a bit out of the way tho :D

a wiring company does everything but electric? huh?

I'm assuming that means video, audio, network, telecom kinda wiring, then? RG-45, CAT-5 but no 14-2 ... :)

You'll need a bigger plane now to cover your soon to be expanded service area.

Last edited:
Nick's doing Cat5. No need to incorp, just have sufficient liab ins.

Nick, think about establishing accounts with your vendors. Don't pay retail even if you're small potatos for now. And congratulations on your new endeavor.

gkainz said:
I'm assuming that means video, audio, network, telecom kinda wiring, then? RG-45, CAT-5 but no 14-2 ... :)

Exactly - everything but Electricity.

Cat-5, RG anything, speaker wire, you name it. No 14-2.

Richard said:
Nick's doing Cat5. No need to incorp, just have sufficient liab ins.

Nick, think about establishing accounts with your vendors. Don't pay retail even if you're small potatos for now. And congratulations on your new endeavor.

Thanks Richard! The state of New Mexico actually did something right! They gave me a packet with all kinds of information about doing this, including a way to set up a Non-Taxable Transaction account with suppliers.

This is gonna be a good year I think.

SkyHog said:
Thanks Richard! The state of New Mexico actually did something right! They gave me a packet with all kinds of information about doing this, including a way to set up a Non-Taxable Transaction account with suppliers.

This is gonna be a good year I think.

Congrats! You can never be fired from your own business.

New Mexico? Isn't this work Americans wont do? ;)

CONGRATS NICK!

hey, here is a question for ya.

my cat chewed partway through one of my speaker wires on my sound system (hooked to the TV etc).

the receiver switched itself off. and kept doing it - with a message "check speaker wires".

why is this?

I wasn't able to use the TV - I unhooked that whole speaker and it's fine now (minus a speaker). since it's close to the actual speaker hookup I'll just clip and strip the wire and re-hook it up.

they usually don't go back behind the TV, I have most of the other wires protected but didn't bother back there. argh. now I have to...

SkyHog said:

As a business you cannot afford to not have insurance. Be prepared to suffer the wrath of Thor's hammer courtesy of other business owners if you work without without ins.:yes:

Now you can fly for free! Just use your plane for long distance service calls.

A big step.... scary but also one of the most satisfying endeavors a person can undertake. No longer will you be enslaved to the 9-5 schedule, now it will be 24/7/365!!
Seriously, all the best.

Now. Are you open to advice or should we just shut up?
If the former, here is a place to start (see link). I don't agree with them all but they are things to think about. I bet if we polled we could probably get 500 really good suggestions from people right here on POA for how to run a small business successfully.
http://www.allbusiness.com/articles/startingbusiness/1440-25-1822.html

14-2? I don't use no steenkin 14-2. 12-2 here, and 20A on every breaker!! Way to go on the biz Nick.

SkyHog said:
Exactly - everything but Electricity.

Cat-5, RG anything, speaker wire, you name it. No 14-2.
Technically, it is carrying electricity, Nick. Refer to it as "low voltage cabling" to sound more experienced. ;)

/me with years of experience in design and pulling cable, including Cat123455e, coax in a variety of forms, 12-100 pair, and fiber optics.

woodstock said:
CONGRATS NICK!

hey, here is a question for ya.

my cat chewed partway through one of my speaker wires on my sound system (hooked to the TV etc).

the receiver switched itself off. and kept doing it - with a message "check speaker wires".

why is this?

I wasn't able to use the TV - I unhooked that whole speaker and it's fine now (minus a speaker). since it's close to the actual speaker hookup I'll just clip and strip the wire and re-hook it up.

they usually don't go back behind the TV, I have most of the other wires protected but didn't bother back there. argh. now I have to...
The wires are shorted and the receiver is protecting the system. Splice the wires or replace the cable.

In San Antonio, city code technically requires a licensed electrician to pull low voltage cable.....

wsuffa said:
In San Antonio, city code technically requires a licensed electrician to pull low voltage cable.....
AZ varies, based on building and type of construction. Getting a contractor's license for this is a very good idea, though.

The exception seems to be the contractors used by Cox Cable here in Phoenix. These guys have their own companies with their own little trucks and sub out to Cox. I don't think they're registered contractors.

N2212R said:
14-2? I don't use no steenkin 14-2. 12-2 here, and 20A on every breaker!! Way to go on the biz Nick.
Pretty much ditto here - 12-2 and 20A on all outlet circuits; I'm still ok with 14-2 and 15A breakers for lighting circuits.

Congrats, Nick! Wanna come up to Denver and configure a home theater system for me? Way too many components for the receiver's inputs ... the remotes are taking over the house!

wow - so much advice! I am, of couse, open to any advice anyone has!

To woodstock - the cats chewing through the wire probably caused the + and - wires to short, and the receiver is protecting itself from damage. Replacing the wires should solve the problem.

Here's a question for y'all. Should I get insurance now, or wait until I get my first job, and start it then?

btw - I really want to express my sincerest gratitude to both Richard and Michael for giving me as much advice as they have about this.

You guys helped me go from "I should" to "I have".

SkyHog said:
Here's a question for y'all. Should I get insurance now, or wait until I get my first job, and start it then?

You will be paying annually anyways, so start it now. Promote the fact that your company is insured. Put it on your ads, and business cards.

Dont we have any Insurrance agents here at POA??

SkyHog said:
First, congrats on the new business, and the best of luck to you with it!

Second, you will probably need insurance before you can get a job. Most businesses you might work for will want to see a certificate of insurance before they sign the contract. So as a minimum you need to line up an insurance policy that you can activate quickly with a check...

-Skip

Nick Mazel Tov! The American Dream is yours. Now listen to Richard and Michael and consider incorporating and get Insurance before you do job one.

Nick, Good move and congrats. Start with the insurance now because getting it isn't quite like car insurance. Do some studying, get some quotes and make an informed decision. Watch all your costs (as close as I watch an engine monitor :rolleyes: ). Keep precise books from day 1. I couldn't run my business without QuickBooks by Intuit. Yeah, it's 24/7/365, but for me the idea of going back to working for someone else is VERY scary.

Let'sgoflying! said:
A big step.... scary but also one of the most satisfying endeavors a person can undertake. No longer will you be enslaved to the 9-5 schedule, now it will be 24/7/365!!
Seriously, all the best.

Now. Are you open to advice or should we just shut up?
If the former, here is a place to start (see link). I don't agree with them all but they are things to think about. I bet if we polled we could probably get 500 really good suggestions from people right here on POA for how to run a small business successfully.
http://www.allbusiness.com/articles/startingbusiness/1440-25-1822.html

Congrats Nick, it is a big step to go out and do something like this. I had a guy tell me once that if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!! Go get 'em.
Like Dave said, no more boss telling you what to do. Pretty soon you will only be working half days (7 am to 7 pm):rofl:
If you need any advise, let me know. After 20 years in business in NM, I know my way around pretty well.
Don

Nick, I would you suggest you make the most of Don's gracious offer. A businessman experienced doing business in your state--make it a top priority to meet with him.

Nick;
See my post re: The Rancher ... lemme know when you hire the half-wit! :)

SkyHog said:
Ahh - everything but electric. Heh - Illinois may be a bit out of the way tho :D
I am getting ready to build my house and I need someone to dig the foundation/basement

Nick:

Best wishes in your new endeavor. Owning your own business can be great and can also be very challenging: you're it! Hope the former is better than the latter for you.

Welcome to the world of business owners.

Dave

Lance F said:
Keep precise books from day 1. I couldn't run my business without QuickBooks by Intuit.

Amen. QB is easier to use, and probably more widely used, than any other small business accounting package out there. I've worked with many, started my business on MYOB but was much happier after the move to QuickBooks. These days I do the books for my flying club in QB. The data entry can be a drag, but the numbers you get back out are priceless.

I co-founded The Chip Connection, Inc. in 1998. It was meant to be a computer consulting business right off the bat, but we did a lot of high-end audio work as well to pay the bills while we were getting started. So, Nick, I've done a LOT of what you're going to do.

Fish tape is your friend! :yes: A good drill is also essential. One of those "mirror on a stick" contraptions and a tone generator/induction amplifier combo are also pretty much required equipment. Other than that, your toolbox will be pretty average. Once in a while you might want to rent something, we once had to bore a 4" hole through 18" of concrete. That massive Milwaukee hammer drill was the only way to go, and it even took 3 hours. :eek:

Your tendency right off the bat will be to charge really low rates. That is to say, you'll underestimate the amount of work required and knock yourself below minimum wage when all is said and done. As a guideline, for the wiring portion of jobs, we used to quote $2.00 per foot for open walls and $4.50 per foot for closed walls. Our labor rate was $75/hr. We still managed to provide better service at a better price than anyone else in town.

I'd suggest you document the business tasks you need to do - For example, I wrote a document for myself on how to do our sales taxes, payroll taxes, etc. That way I could easily go back to it to find the correct numbers in QuickBooks that related to the proper tax forms. Don't bother trying to do the end-of-year stuff yourself, though - I do my own personal taxes and I did all of the other business taxes, but that 1020S was a real monster and the $400-500 each year for the accountant to do it fast and correctly was money well spent.

Find a good small business lawyer and talk to them about what the most beneficial form of business would be for you (sole proprietorship, LLC, S-corp, etc) and then do it. Our initial consulation plus the entire incorporation process cost $400 and was well spent.

I've got to agree with everyone else on insurance. You need it, and it's not as bad as you might think. You also might want to get bonded. It was kind of stupid as being bonded provided us NO benefit other than to be able to say "Hey, we're bonded" but it was only $80/year. Likewise, Workman's Comp insurance was one heckuva lot cheaper than the fine we got slapped with after we started hiring people before we had it. :(

You'll go through a lot of paperwork here in the beginning, but if you dot every i and cross every t you'll be in good shape. Then, go get some clients and make enough money to get a company airplane. :D

If there's anything I can help you with, let me know.

Back